Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm applying for a MSc in Psychology and I'm stuck between University of Roehampton Online and Walden University. These are the important differences that I take into consideration:

Roehampton is slightly cheaper. It is accredited by QAA (Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education), but that's basically it. I don't know much about accreditation though, and I'm not sure how much I should pay attention to that considering that I will be continuing for a campus-based PhD after getting this MSc. It offers 120 credits. Opinions are mixed, but the university supposedly had a breakthrough in the last couple of year and rose significantly on lists.

Walden University is based in the US. It offers 45 quarter credits, and I have no idea what those mean, answers would be helpful. There is a long accaccreditation list and I believe it is the most recognized Online uni in the US. Another good thing is that I can choose which month I'm going to start, whereas the Roehampton starts... in two weeks.

So you understand I am a little time-pressured to decide. Every opinion is helpful. Standard is my biggest determinant here, so use that when you write me your opinion. Thank in advance, guys !
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'd go with Roehampton for a few reasons:
    Cheaper
    QAA which means something in the UK in terms of standards
    The credit system is easily transferable and makes more sense than the US one which is different especially if you want to do your PhD here

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SandraMJ)
    Basically, I'm applying for a MSc in Psychology and I'm stuck between University of Roehampton Online and Walden University. These are the important differences that I take into consideration:

Roehampton is slightly cheaper. It is accredited by QAA (Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education), but that's basically it. I don't know much about accreditation though, and I'm not sure how much I should pay attention to that considering that I will be continuing for a campus-based PhD after getting this MSc. It offers 120 credits. Opinions are mixed, but the university supposedly had a breakthrough in the last couple of year and rose significantly on lists.

Walden University is based in the US. It offers 45 quarter credits, and I have no idea what those mean, answers would be helpful. There is a long accaccreditation list and I believe it is the most recognized Online uni in the US. Another good thing is that I can choose which month I'm going to start, whereas the Roehampton starts... in two weeks.

So you understand I am a little time-pressured to decide. Every opinion is helpful. Standard is my biggest determinant here, so use that when you write me your opinion. Thank in advance, guys !
    It really depends why you want the Masters.

In the UK, a more critical accreditation for a psychology course would be from the British Psychology Society if you wanted to use it in a professional capacity. QAA accreditation just means that it meets the quality required for a Masters level uni course in any subject.

If you wanted to practice or use the qualification in the US, then that course might make more sense.

If you're just doing the course for the interest of it, then I'd choose the one which has the most interesting content.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.