Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I am in year 11 and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and also hold 4 sixth form offers to study these. I have the ability to get the topic grades in these but just hate the subjects also I planned on studying medicine.

I am a person who loves the humanities side than science, but I am afraid to do A levels in the humanities fearing I won't get the same opportunities with a humanities or law degree as I would with a science degree.
    Actually for Medicine Bio and Chem are very important, maybe not so much Maths and Physics, although they do help for a competitive application.

Why not do something like Bio, Chem, History and English. Four A's or higher in those subjects would equally merit a good application for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vn2410)
    Good Lucj

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, thanks but I need to finish my AS levels first. I'll start worrying about applying to uni after the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Charlotte15)
    I think your looking too much into this and too soon. Wait until you actually sit your GCSE's and then decide for definite what it is you want to do. No point listening to target grades, because let's be honest they don't mean anything.
    I know targets mean nothing but after all, of my teachers describing me as a talented student predicting A's and B's I don't think I am being too unrealistic with what I am looking at. If I was working at E's and F's and having such high aims it would be highly unrealistic and literally no point. No offence to anyone because if you work hard you can go from E's and F's to A*/A but things such as Medicine and Maths and Science A level won't be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    The only one's which make sense to do are biology and chemistry.
    Doing maths or physics will not put you at an advantage at all, especially if you cannot deliver the grades.
    This is by chance that those people also do maths and physics but that does not mean you'll have a better chance of an offer.
    They deal with students individually and if they do not require/recommended maths or physics. People who are doing other subjects will have just as much chance - again providing they can get the grades.
    Maths is probably the most popular A level so in relative terms, more are bound to do it and I don't think trend is exclusively for Medicine applicants either.

You're choosing the hardest a level's which you yourself don't enjoy at just gcse level. I'd suggest thinking logically. Do subjects you think you will enjoy.
    Trust me, I do biology and chemistry and did maths at AS. All subjects I enjoyed a lot at gcse which A levels have one way or another partly killed my enjoyment due to the sheer difficulty.
    With incredibly competitive universities like Oxbridge Maths and Physics would be an advantage but I agree with the fact if you don't have the ability don't do it. With other Universities having Chemistry, Biology and two of your choice would be better than having four low grades. I do have the ability being a triple science A*/A student but now I really am considering humanity options at A level and looking beyond the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    I know targets mean nothing but after all, of my teachers describing me as a talented student predicting A's and B's I don't think I am being too unrealistic with what I am looking at. If I was working at E's and F's and having such high aims it would be highly unrealistic and literally no point. No offence to anyone because if you work hard you can go from E's and F's to A*/A but things such as Medicine and Maths and Science A level won't be a good idea.
    The average medicine student has around 7 A*s at gcse. Even then, many who get the same or higher grades still get no offers.

I'd suggest doing work experience and really seeing if medicine is for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it's unrealistic, but what you seem to be implying is that just because you are predicted A's automatically means your options should be all the subjects you are performing highly in. As @tcameron said subjects at A-level are a lot more different with the grades themselves speaking volumes, an A at GCSE being equivalent to D/E at Alevel. Go with what you want not what the teachers want. If your grades are high on results day and it's something your passionate about, go for it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    With incredibly competitive universities like Oxbridge Maths and Physics would be an advantage but I agree with the fact if you don't have the ability don't do it. With other Universities having Chemistry, Biology and two of your choice would be better than having four low grades. I do have the ability being a triple science A*/A student but now I really am considering humanity options at A level and looking beyond the sciences.
    Possibly do biology and chemistry then two essay subjects. Don't underestimate arts subjects as being easier/less respected.

ReputationRep:
    I did these plus further maths, but enjoyed all these subjects greatly. I wouldn't be able to do them if I didn't.

Your plan is to spend 2 years studying A-levels that you don't like, 3-5 years studying a degree that you don't like, then ~40 years doing jobs that you don't like? I wouldn't be able do it but maybe you can. Even if you are able to, surely it'll be better to just do stuff that you enjoy from the start. Study stuff you enjoy.

(Original post by SuperHuman98)
    One day I will get the passion for S1
    I took S1 in 2013 and I'm still waiting for the passion to kick in.

ReputationRep:
    I have done quite a lot of research myself into Russell group and a lot of others and literally all have required Biology and Chemistry, so without Biology you would be highly limiting your chances in regards to universities.

This is a from the Oxford website
    18% of applicants were studying Chemistry AND Biology AND Physics AND Mathematics (compared to 19% of short-listed applicants and 14% of applicants offered places).

Maths and Physics is not a requirement anywhere except that one college at Cambridge and I agree but after studying Oxford and Cambridge acceptance stats I have come to the conclusion people with more than minmum requirements have a higher acceptance rate (Maths and/or physics).
    You do realise that the figures you've quoted show a lower proportion of acceptances have 4 sciences than applicants right? Evidence that its not good to have more sciences?

There are other figures you could have quoted that would have supported your point, but that is not one of them.

(Original post by samb1234)
    ... and the process is brutally competitive. If you hate the sciences, the chances of you being one of the one in 5 ish who get an offer is slim ...
    Slimmer! Its less than one in ten (165 offers from 1674 applications last year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You do realise that the figures you've quoted show a lower proportion of acceptances have 4 sciences than applicants right? Evidence that its not good to have more sciences?

There are other figures you could have quoted that would have supported your point, but that is not one of them.

Slimmer! Its less than one in ten (165 offers from 1674 applications last year)
    Sorry I was assuming that the stats for med were similar for the uni as a whole rather than finding the actual stats

ReputationRep:
    A levels are difficult and you have to enjoy what you are doing because they are a living hell even if you like them no matter if you don't. The more you like a subject the easier it becomes. Being predicted high at GCSE level doesn't mean you will achieve high in a levels (don't want to put you down) but things change because the leap is such a big one. Don't put yourself through 2 years of hell make your a levels as enjoyable as possible as they take over your life almost😂

ReputationRep:
    Being in Sixth Form currently, I'd definitely advise you to take whatever you like doing and will do well in (which I guess would be the Humanities subjects), as anything that you think might be good/look good/might help in future shouldn't be the main reason for picking subjects for such a crucial time of your life.

Do what you enjoy, as personal satisfaction = AAAA at A-Levels (hopefully with a lot of hard work!) I considered medicine, but without being fully-committed to that career-path, with the amount of competition nationally and globally, I'd steer clear if you're only doing it for a good sciences degree/good job later on. Do what you like doing. Simples.

To add, GCSE predictions are largely meaningless when referring to A-Levels, as the content is much more full-on and in-depth, and doesn't provide a realistic prediction for what you might achieve later on.

Hope you choose the best subjects for you!! :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 11 and have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and also hold 4 sixth form offers to study these. I have the ability to get the topic grades in these but just hate the subjects also I planned on studying medicine.

I am a person who loves the humanities side than science, but I am afraid to do A levels in the humanities fearing I won't get the same opportunities with a humanities or law degree as I would with a science degree.
    I was in a similar situation when I was in year 11. I was doing really well in science but I hate science with a passion, however, my teachers were encouraging me to do medicine. Fortunately, I did well in other subjects and did geography, English lit, English language, creative writing and sociology and a levels and got 5 a stars as I really enjoyed these subjects and did not mind studying them all hours of the day! I'm now doing education at Durham and loving it! Do what you are passionate about, it is your life!

ReputationRep:
    Do not do A-Levels you will not enjoy. I am currently taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for my A-Levels and it has been the hardest year of my life. I am predicted AAAA however the likelihood of that happening is lowered by how difficult the subjects are and that I don't enjoy physics so I am less motivated. Please take subjects you enjoy because there are plenty of non-science pathways that you could undertake. This is your life and your future so do what you want to do rather than what others think is best for you... Only you know what is best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyjoy1998)
    Do not do A-Levels you will not enjoy. I am currently taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for my A-Levels and it has been the hardest year of my life. I am predicted AAAA however the likelihood of that happening is lowered by how difficult the subjects are and that I don't enjoy physics so I am less motivated. Please take subjects you enjoy because there are plenty of non-science pathways that you could undertake. This is your life and your future so do what you want to do rather than what others think is best for you... Only you know what is best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How hard are they compared to GCSE? Is the difficulty due to the dept or the amount of content? I never enjoyed Science and wanted to do core and additional but got pushed into doing triple science at GCSE and not really enjoying it but still getting the grades. Is A level similar to triple science or much harder?

ReputationRep:
    How hard are they compared to GCSE? Is the difficulty due to the dept or the amount of content? I never enjoyed Science and wanted to do core and additional but got pushed into doing triple science at GCSE and not really enjoying it but still getting the grades. Is A level similar to triple science or much harder?
    Imagine jumping into a firery bottomless pit, yeah that. Especially for chemistry I found

But weirdly enough I loved AS physics, but I put that down to having an amazing teacher... who now is at a different school in a different country

ReputationRep:
    A lot harder than I anticipated but not unbearable. Especially if you make detailed pre notes and ensure you are revising from day 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - basically gcse chemistry is a deception compared to what A level chemistry is like. Depth and difficulty. It isn't impossible but the sheer jump is so high.
    Biology - tonnes of content, possibly too much content and many application questions. Like they'll give you a random disease/animal you've never heard off before and have to answer question(s) on it.
    Maths - C1 eases you in but S1 just kills it. If you aren't good/like algebra do not do it.

This is coming from someone who got A*s in biology and chemistry and an A at maths GCSE's..

ReputationRep:
    Story time!

I love science (and most subjects to be honest haha), got straight A*s at GCSE and took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit for AS, having wanted to do medicine since I was in year 9. I kept finding maths fairly straightforward but everything else was definitely more difficult - in chem I found the complexity of it a big change and very challenging, and in bio it was more the quantity that was the issue. I still enjoyed them but they needed a bit more work, and I was glad of English breaking up my days a little bit.

I carried on with maths, bio and chem to A2 and again, I really enjoyed them and I didn't regret picking them but they were a lot of work. The amount of stuff to learn for bio was huge, chem managed to get even more complicated and even maths was pretty tough at times. I stuck with medicine and got 3 offers, got my grades and went to uni in September.

And that's when it all went tits up!

My mental health had been a bit shaky through most of sixth form but it was pretty bad by the time I started uni which is probably why things went so wrong so quick :') but to cut a long story short, within 4 weeks of starting I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and by December I'd started a course interruption. Obviously I wasn't in any position to enjoy the course while I was there, but here's what I got from it:

There is a hell of a lot of work.

It's complicated, there's tons of it, and even if you're on a course where the focus is heavily on being a doctor rather than learning all the science first, then you still have tons of work to do on the biology/chemistry/anatomy/physiology/psychology etc side of things.

There is no end to the science. I did **** tons of work experience and volunteering and I was sure that medicine was gonna be for me, but the reality of it is hard work and lots of it. If you don't like science there is no way you will like medicine. I bloody love science and I was so certain it was the right thing for me but I'm very seriously considering doing a different degree when I go back to uni in September.

If you're not enjoying science at a GCSE level then do not put yourself through what will quite honestly be years of hell. Take the subjects you enjoy. Don't stress too much about jobs you can get after, because there are so many options out there - just yesterday I spoke to someone who had been out to Dubai on an all expenses paid work trip with her events management company, and her degree was in medieval history. Doing a subject you enjoy will get you closer to a job you enjoy, and don't let worries about what jobs you may or may not get put you off.

Ignore the talk about job prospects and salary prospects for the time being. Humanities subjects are valued by employers, and a lot of careers are completely non-specific in the degree they ask for. If the past few months have taught me anything, it's that you have to do something you enjoy or you're gonna be utterly miserable (and also that there are more careers out there than you could imagine, and so many routes to get to them). At the risk of sounding very cliched, happiness is everything!

Out of interest, if you don't like science then why are you considering medicine? Don't want to sound rude but I'm just a bit confused!

(tl;dr: if you don't like science, don't go into a career in science)

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 offers to study medicine doing Chemistry, Biology and History (maths and EPQ at AS) I understand that gcse and a level topics have a lot of boring topics thats its hard to muddle through, if you dont like biology and chemistry then ur kinda stuck because for most school there neccesary but the only place you wont be anle to go to with 1 or 2 humanties a levels are oxbridge, a friend of mine does biology, chemistry and english and she also offers for medicine. If you dont want to do all sciences you dont have to

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.