The Student Room Group

C3 Trig Question

I'm trying to solve a C3 trig question involving trig identities and whilst two of my solutions are correct, I'm missing a solution and the model answer completes the problem in a completely different way. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks.

The question and my answer

Spoiler

Whereas the actual answer

Spoiler

You can't cancel the cos in your 3rd line of working. That takes out a solution
Reply 2
Original post by ryanroks1

If I had the equation x2=2xx^2 = 2x, do you agree that it would be folly of us to cancel an xx from both sides and get x=2x = 2? Surely you know that what you really need to do is x22x=0x(x2)=0x^2 - 2x = 0 \Rightarrow x(x-2) = 0 which gets you two solutions.

The same applies with your trigonometric equation. Do not cancel the cos\cos, you should bring it over to the other side and factorise it out whereby you can say that another set of solutions is given by cosθ=0\cos \theta = 0.
Original post by Zacken
If I had the equation x2=2xx^2 = 2x, do you agree that it would be folly of us to cancel an xx from both sides and get x=2x = 2? Surely you know that what you really need to do is x22x=0x(x2)=0x^2 - 2x = 0 \Rightarrow x(x-2) = 0 which gets you two solutions.

The same applies with your trigonometric equation. Do not cancel the cos\cos, you should bring it over to the other side and factorise it out whereby you can say that another set of solutions is given by cosθ=0\cos \theta = 0.

Great explanation as usual!

Just a side note - would you say we cannot cancel the cos because it's actually equal to 0 in one solution, and so dividing by 0 is not possible?

Or is what I'm saying rubbish and only applicable to this example?
Reply 4
Original post by Student403

Or is what I'm saying rubbish and only applicable to this example?

Nope, that's precisely why. :yep:
Original post by Zacken
Nope, that's precisely why. :yep:

Wow that's really good to know - thank you :h:
Reply 6
x

Original post by Zacken
x.

Thank you, seems obvious now! :smile:
Original post by ryanroks1
Thank you, seems obvious now! :smile:

Nice going :five:
You can't cancel the cos in your 3rd line of working. That takes out a solution

Why are you giving advice when its incorrect?
Original post by GeologyMaths
Why are you giving advice when its incorrect?

Why are you acting condescending when you haven't yet stated what the "correct" advice would be?
Why are you acting condescending when you haven't yet stated what the "correct" advice would be?

correct advise is to minus cos then factorise
Original post by GeologyMaths
correct advise is to minus cos then factorise

OP asked "Where am I going wrong?", which I clearly answered in my post

Quick Reply

Latest