Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/650...ncome-priority

So the Government has just cut ESA WRAG by 30% and now they are giving tax cuts to the middle class. Idealogical austerity in your face!

So what kind of budget reforms do you want to see?

*Want to cut welfare? What welfare would you cut?
    *Want more tax cuts? Who's tax should be cut?
    *Fancy a extra 1% of GDP spent on defense to start a new Syria bombing campaign?
    *More subsidies to big business?

You tell me.

Remember I am your resident loony lefty and this thread will never be boring.

ReputationRep:
    I would have liked to see the implementation of a flat rate of pension tax relief. A good idea and it's a shame that he has had to abandon it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    I would have liked to see the implementation of a flat rate of pension tax relief. A good idea and it's a shame that he has had to abandon it.
    Me too even though I will be a higher rate payer it's just common sense for long term pension saving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/650...ncome-priority

So the Government has just cut ESA WRAG by 30% and now they are giving tax cuts to the middle class. Idealogical austerity in your face!

So what kind of budget reforms do you want to see?

*Want to cut welfare? What welfare would you cut?
    *Want more tax cuts? Who's tax should be cut?
    *Fancy a extra 1% of GDP spent on defense to start a new Syria bombing campaign?
    *More subsidies to big business?

You tell me.

Remember I am your resident loony lefty and this thread will never be boring.
    I also think it's piss poor form.

There is no point in wrag if your just going to pay the jsa rate for it they could have just stuck people on that with different conditions for finding work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What i want..

- Frozen fuel duty
    - Increase in the basic personal allowance
    - Lower VAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    What i want..

- Frozen fuel duty
    - Lower VAT
    Definitely think that he should go faster at increasing the personal allowance. I think fuel duty should go up slightly as the deficit has to be dealt with and he is running out of ways to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely think that he should go faster at increasing the personal allowance. I think fuel duty should go up slightly as the deficit has to be dealt with and he is running out of ways to do it.
    Fuel duty is stupidly high

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Fuel duty is stupidly high

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but I think there should be a priority on lowering income taxation. I think it may be a necessary evil, especially with Osborne's deficit plan looking shaky.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I think there should be a priority on lowering income taxation. I think it may be a necessary evil, especially with Osborne's deficit plan looking shaky.
    Nah I operate the other way round if you need more money for the pot you go to income and corporation tax for it not the only form of transport that isn't subsidised and has a huge amount of tax placed on it already

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nah I operate the other way round if you need more money for the pot you go to income and corporation tax for it not the only form of transport that isn't subsidised and has a huge amount of tax placed on it already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well i certainly think that the majority of subsidies can be put on the bonfire.

ReputationRep:
    Well i certainly think that the majority of subsidies can be put on the bonfire.
    If that were the case there wouldn't be a budget deficit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What i want..

- Frozen fuel duty
    - Lower VAT
    I'm surprised that I actually agree with all these points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Well the increase in basic allowance will happen as planned, you have a good chance on fuel duty but you have no chance on vat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    As am i. I thought you recently said that everything should be taxed to death.

Well the increase in basic allowance will happen as planned, you have a good chance on fuel duty but you have no chance on vat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I want to see the Chancellor go much further and would even say that lowering the 45% threshold to pay for it would not be a bad move.

ReputationRep:

I want to see the Chancellor go much further and would even say that lowering the 45% threshold to pay for it would not be a bad move.
    We will have to see the evidence that the last cut from 50 to 45 raised any yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We will have to see the evidence that the last cut from 50 to 45 raised any yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *52 to 47 when NI is added and we know that it accrued £8bn albeit it's not the best comparison because 2010-2012 saw poor economic performance and in the first year there was a deferral loophole.

Lowering the threshold though would actually be a 3% tax rise for those between say £100k and £150k which would likely be able to pay for raising the basic threshold by a good amount.. There's no reason to burden the poor with a 32% rate of taxation.

ReputationRep:
    That's an overly complicated way to say when it was lowered 5% people deferred paying income tax in the last year of 50% until the next year when it was 45% and as the figures for the second year of 45% aren't released yet no one knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not with these taxes.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35793004

Well looks like your going to get your Tax cuts. Tories are going to rob the poor to give tax cuts to the rich ............ again.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty disgusting

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.