ReputationRep:
    And another....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    And another....
    Where are you getting these from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Yes, but the state of it after the match must have been worse than in training.
    No, its not down to coincidence, its down to piss poor groundkeeping.
    Yea too right. But it wouldnt of been a problem if the refing hadnt of been ******* **** all tournament

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Where are you getting these from?
    work collegues - I think everyones e-mail boxes are very busy today

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the state of it after the match must have been worse than in training.
    No, its not down to coincidence, its down to piss poor groundkeeping.
    Not really. It was a sand based pitch and the spot and worn away from the England squad, and probably a few squads before them, using it for penalty practice. Nothing the groundsman could do about that with such short notice. In addition, Beckham placed the ball on the penalty spot. Surely he would have noticed it was loose? Finally, he can't take penalties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Well according to Owen, they'd been practicing on that pitch all of the day before and knew exactly what the penalty spots were like. That's the second time he's blamed the spot for missed penalties now. The ground may have given way beneath him on both occasions, but you can't just put that down to coincidence. It's poor technique by Beckham. You may have noticed that on both occasions he was trying to out the ball to the keeper's left. Never had the problem going to his right. However, Beckham's an arrogant prick, so next time it happens he'll once again just point at the spot then tell the media that he still wants to take England's penalties.
    Defo - on current evidence - John Terry should be penalty taking ahead of Becks. Admittedly the penalty spot was tearing up like Trent Bridge on the third day of a Test, but then Captain Maginificent should have tried to give the thing a heavy rolling with his boots (btw, that is the job of the 1st penalty taker - to examine and correct the spot). To be honest, I think it was just a shite penalty and he would probably have skied it on a decent pitch.

Can anybody remember when the camera zoomed in on the spot? I think it was when Simao went to strike his pen. The thing looked bloody awful - like a blancmange of dirt and sand which was domed for about 4 inches above the spot, lol.

I believe that the spot actually got worse as the penalty taking progressed i.e. the spot was flattest when Beckham shot - it was always going to give off heaps of dirt and move under foot - but that didn't stop the Portugese from scoring some absolutely shocking pens, Postiga's was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't his fault that the pitch was a load of crap.
    1. dont defend beckham he has played **** lately, and is ****
    2. he shouldve made sure the **** on the pitch was not there when he took the penalty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Not really. It was a sand based pitch and the spot and worn away from the England squad, and probably a few squads before them, using it for penalty practice. Nothing the groundsman could do about that with such short notice. In addition, Beckham placed the ball on the penalty spot. Surely he would have noticed it was loose? Finally, he can't take penalties.
    How come then that pitches can stay intact for the entire season, getting played on numerous times with the pitch staying high quality???

Well he already knew it was, but it's hard to compensate for it withough seeing its effect in the actual match situation first.

Beckham is a good penalty taker.
    I bet that you weren't saying he couldn't take penalties after the 1-0 win against argentina!
    But its unsurprising that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon of saying he's not good at them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    1. dont defend beckham he has played **** lately, and is ****
    2. he shouldve made sure the **** on the pitch was not there when he took the penalty
    1) Yes, he has been underperforming, but he is a great player, and nobody can say otherwise without being totally deluded and/or wrong!

2) It is not his responsibility to maintain the pitch. Its the groundskeeper's.

ReputationRep:
    How come then that pitches can stay intact for the entire season, getting played on numerous times with the pitch staying high quality???

Well he already knew it was, but it's hard to compensate for it withough seeing its effect in the actual match situation first.

I bet that you weren't saying he couldn't take penalties after the 1-0 win against argentina!
    But its unsurprising that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon of saying he's not good at them...
    beckham is not a good penalty taker from recent records

ReputationRep:
    they just showed the johnny wilkinson and david beckham one on Sky News just now, someone emailed it to them lol.

ReputationRep:

Teams tend not to practice penalties that much during a league season, so why should the penalty spot in particular not stay intact? England were practicing penalties intensively, that's the point. And no, I wouldn't have said he was a bad penalty taker after Argentina, that would be stupid because he was a good penalty taker. Now he is not. What you're saying here is ironically close to what Sven probably thinks, i.e. that you can't drop your big name players, even if they play crap, supported by what he said about a year after taking over, something along the lines of: "I'll never drop Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard or Owen." How the heck can you say that?! And how can you say you wouldn't take Beckham off penalties, not only after his last two have been missed and terrible, but after he's been one of the biggest flops of the tournament? It sums up Eriksson's most fundamental flaw.

ReputationRep:
    Q. What's the difference between the English and a jet engine?
    A. A jet engine eventually stops whining.

(Original post by Fluffy)
    this might explain things:
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Q. What's the difference between the English and a jet engine?
    A. A jet engine eventually stops whining.
    LOL sums it all up really....

if you see the replay beckhams other foot slips slightly on the disjointed ground. people miss kicks anyway, he went for a high one and the ground got the better of him

ReputationRep:
    I have the explanation:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Get your pitch in order groundsmen! :mad:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The funniest still was Beckham trying to "imitate" Christian Ronaldo by attempting tricks with the ball - I'm not much of a football fan but you know what I mean, twirling the ball and so on.
    He's so convinced he's one of Europe's greats that he often forgets what little on the ball skill he has - I believe he even tripped himself up
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

lol these are great, if not slightly enraging.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.