Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    My grandparents lived through the blitz, where you ran the risk of being blown to bits every day.
    I saw the arse end of the cold war, a time when nuclear obliteration was on the cards. I also lived through IRA bombing campaigns.

Take any period in history and there was **** to be fearful of. We are living in pretty tame times, tbh. I think you just suffer from a narrow frame of reference.

Bottom line, chill out and enjoy your youth.
    Yeah my father was working in Moscow during the Cold War, yet he says he didn't expect us to live in such hostile times.
    Don't you think that in today's world, it is so much easier to start something. With technology and such, anyone could do anything...

(Original post by Shadez)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    someone had to lighten the thread up :rofl:
    NO I want it to be depressing...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    jk, :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Don't you think that in today's world, it is so much easier to start something. With technology and such, anyone could do anything...
    I'm not trying to be needlessly contrary when I say, no, I don't think that.
    In days gone by you could arrange some **** in a pub or whatever and get something going. Now we have Teresa May and the GCHQ crew making a note every time we drunkenly send a **** pic to the girl we got chatting to in the smoking area of Weatherspoons, let alone anything else more sinister.

(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    I'm not trying to be needlessly contrary when I say, no, I don't think that.
    In days gone by you could arrange some **** in a pub or whatever and get something going. Now we have Teresa May and the GCHQ crew making a note every time we drunkenly send a **** pic to the girl we got chatting to in the smoking area of Weatherspoons, let alone anything else more sinister.
    Is our government monitoring us that much?

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of localised problems worldwide but nothing on the scale of the last century. I think North Korea for example know deep down that they'll get wiped of the face of the earth if they go too far and are just sabre rattling, ISIS are largely contained within the Middle East and their Caliphate is under pressure and shrinking.

Compare the above to what could have happened during the Cuban Missile Crisis or Able-Archer and they seem like very minor problems.

ReputationRep:
    Is our government monitoring us that much?
    People are getting hauled up in court for offensive tweets, let alone anything more substantial! Of course people will always slip through the gaps (and I wouldn't want to live in a world where they couldn't) but I just don't feel like it's easier to carry out some diabolical **** in this day and age that it was last century.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I'm sure I'll get hate for this post, I know it is controversial but this is eating away at me so I'll post it anyway. Also in no way am I insinuating a certain race, religion or ethnicity.

What is happening to this world? I'm sure at some point we just take a step back and see the world for what it is. Hunger, poverty, fear, greed, disease.

What is happening in the middle east? ISIS? Sure, we see it on the news, another city under siege in Syria yet we get along with our lives. Of course we need to attend to our immediate lives, we can't just be consumed in fear of the inevitable. Can we?
    What if I woke up one morning, walked to my bus stop only to see a plane fly through One Canada Wharf? What if on his way to work, my father was blown up on the underground? He narrowly avoided it once, who's to say it won't happen again? What if my mother went out to central London? What if she was shot by some crazy person along with a hundred other innocent civilians?

What if?

What if Donald Trump is elected president? Sure it seems far fetched, but he is leading the Republican race, way ahead of Ted Cruz. Who's to say that the he will lose? And then what would happen? Make America great again, but at what expense?

What if?

What if North Korea is really planning an attack? What if we are at the brink of a third world war? A nuclear war? According to a new report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), nine nations — the United States,Russia, United Kingdom, France, China,India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea — possess approximately 16,300 nuclear weapons. in total. This is a scary statisitic, but it won't affect us right?

The migration crisis. The Syrian Exodus as it where. The negativity that clouds these people who have risked everything for a safe home, a fresh start. Are they a security threat? Maybe they are...How can we be sure? Are we helping enough? Should we be helping more?

What if?

These are all hypotheses though. Just random thoughts, but who's to say that what many predict, won't come true.

We live in a scary age, how many of you can say that without a shadow of a doubt you will live till you are 70? Who knows, maybe one day I'll have to join the army, maybe one day we won't even need an army...

What if?

ReputationRep:
    the answer is in the Bible queen-bee omd help me spread the word my fellow 1991

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Ok then...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I get what you mean xD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my father was working in Moscow during the Cold War, yet he says he didn't expect us to live in such hostile times.
    Technology has made conflict less likely. It's also made conflict less easier to start.

I think you need to chill and focus on your studies. You're more likely to get killed by car tomorrow than by ISIS. And that's extremely rare.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah these are stressful times that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Too many what ifs. Gives me headache.lol.

ReputationRep:
    I will solve all the racist fuels problems in the Middle East and Asia. It's only a matter of time before countries recognise my economic influence ✌🏼️

ReputationRep:
    Ok then...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I get what you mean xD
    I'm glad somebody does, the link was so thin even I forgot it.

ReputationRep:
    It all went wrong in WW2 imo

We fought for the wrong side

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1457552425671.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  54.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Our creators might interfere ...

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I'm sure I'll get hate for this post, I know it is controversial but this is eating away at me so I'll post it anyway. Also in no way am I insinuating a certain race, religion or ethnicity.

What is happening to this world? I'm sure at some point we just take a step back and see the world for what it is. Hunger, poverty, fear, greed, disease.

What is happening in the middle east? ISIS? Sure, we see it on the news, another city under siege in Syria yet we get along with our lives. Of course we need to attend to our immediate lives, we can't just be consumed in fear of the inevitable. Can we?
    What if I woke up one morning, walked to my bus stop only to see a plane fly through One Canada Wharf? What if on his way to work, my father was blown up on the underground? He narrowly avoided it once, who's to say it won't happen again? What if my mother went out to central London? What if she was shot by some crazy person along with a hundred other innocent civilians?

What if?

What if Donald Trump is elected president? Sure it seems far fetched, but he is leading the Republican race, way ahead of Ted Cruz. Who's to say that the he will lose? And then what would happen? Make America great again, but at what expense?

What if?

What if North Korea is really planning an attack? What if we are at the brink of a third world war? A nuclear war? According to a new report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), nine nations — the United States,Russia, United Kingdom, France, China,India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea — possess approximately 16,300 nuclear weapons. in total. This is a scary statisitic, but it won't affect us right?

The migration crisis. The Syrian Exodus as it where. The negativity that clouds these people who have risked everything for a safe home, a fresh start. Are they a security threat? Maybe they are...How can we be sure? Are we helping enough? Should we be helping more?

What if?

These are all hypotheses though. Just random thoughts, but who's to say that what many predict, won't come true.

We live in a scary age, how many of you can say that without a shadow of a doubt you will live till you are 70? Who knows, maybe one day I'll have to join the army, maybe one day we won't even need an army...

What if?
    Humans have been ****ing up since day. Smoke some weed and stop asking what if.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.