Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is attraction the most important thing in a relationship Watch

ReputationRep:
    I rightfully think so, as I struggle to see in how personality alone would drive a person to commit to relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that attraction is an important factor. I'd still value personality over attraction, however in order for a relationship to be the best it could be, attraction is an important factor indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows attraction is the major key and overrides personality any day.

ReputationRep:
    while attraction is an important part of a relationship I think trust and respect are equally, if not more important

ReputationRep:
    I think attraction is important of course but personality is too; if two people have very opposite personalities I don't think a committed relationship would work. (That's just my opinion).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, attraction is about more than somebody's physical appearance. This being said, attraction probably is the most important thing as it is what maintains the bond. If somebody becomes unkind, or lies, the effect on how much I am attracted to them will be far larger than if they changed their hair in a way I don't like, or gained/lost weight for example.

If you mean only physical attraction then no, I don't think so, but I do think it plays an important part in why people get together and thus is particularly important at the outset. I have grown to be attracted to people physically as a product of being attracted to them personally.

ReputationRep:
    I agree! Without any physical attraction you are just friends lol.

ReputationRep:
    At the core of it yes, attraction is needed but once that level of attractiveness is reached on your scale, personality automatically takes over for me rather than further attractiveness past the sufficient need

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Attraction in general or physical attraction? Eeeh. I've met guys before and had zero attraction to them on any level but once I got to know their personality and their quirks I suddenly found them extremely physically, mentally and emotionally attractive.

So I guess attraction in general is very important but basing whether you're attracted to someone or not purely on their looks or on your first few interactions with them isn't accurate, I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)

Yes but we have tsr members who would say they date a gargoyle that has the correct personality.

ReputationRep:
    what? are people serious?

even for a fling id say personality...

lots of people are attractive...its the little details about their personality and how they express themselves that are the game changers for me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think attraction is the most important thing at first in order to develop feelings for someone that can then result in a relationship and once you are in a relationship with someone, being attracted to them is still important but other aspects about a person such as their attitude, personality and values become just as important, or even more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)

lots of people are attractive...its the little details about their personality and how they express themselves that are the game changers for me.
    :yep: Personality is much more important than how attractive someone is. I do think attraction is very important in the sense of being attracted to that person's personality and who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personality is part of attraction. However, physical repulsion is also a thing :lol:

ReputationRep:
    #sarcasm

ReputationRep:

:facepalm:

do you read a lot of samina's posts

she's rather reasonable and also sarcastic 9/10 times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    :facepalm:

do you read a lot of samina's posts

she's rather reasonable and also sarcastic 9/10 times
    You on my level

ReputationRep:

Aw thats deep.

ReputationRep:
    You on my level
    If I didn't read your posts I'd assume you're being serious as well but I feel you weren't

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.