Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how you decided what universities to submit your applications to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little.Melon)
    I was just wondering how you decided what universities to submit your applications to?
    Not technically current but I will be in September XD

I personally went first by location as I didn't want to move all the way to Scotland, then after that open days. I'd say these are the most important as you get a feel for the uni, the course and get to see things like accomodation/facilities.
    E.g Nottingham's really practical (although others are becoming more similar) so if this is how you like to learn then it would be a good choice. I personally don't, so it wasn't one of my top choices. Or you might discover that while everything about Bristol is amazing, but you want to live on a campus.
    At the end of the day, the most important thing to consider imo is how much you'd enjoy living at the uni. All the courses are great, so you might as well spend 5/6 of the best years of your life somewhere you love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-jo11)
    Not technically current but I will be in September XD

I personally went first by location as I didn't want to move all the way to Scotland, then after that open days. I'd say these are the most important as you get a feel for the uni, the course and get to see things like accomodation/facilities.
    E.g Nottingham's really practical (although others are becoming more similar) so if this is how you like to learn then it would be a good choice. I personally don't, so it wasn't one of my top choices. Or you might discover that while everything about Bristol is amazing, but you want to live on a campus.
    At the end of the day, the most important thing to consider imo is how much you'd enjoy living at the uni. All the courses are great, so you might as well spend 5/6 of the best years of your life somewhere you love
    Ahh okay that sounds good, if you don't mind me asking where did you settle on going? I'm planning on going to Open days too but i was just wondering what new students thought about their unis haha!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay that sounds good, if you don't mind me asking where did you settle on going? I'm planning on going to Open days too but i was just wondering what new students thought about their unis haha!
    I've just firmed Bristol, but I'll be honest they were the only one that offered me a place...
    I stupidly didn't check the work experience requirements closely enough for the RVC, so I got rejected straight away from them.
    I got interviews at Cambridge, Nottingham and Bristol, and ideally I would've loved to go to Cambridge but I was only average in my BMAT. I completely fell to pieces in my Notts interview, but I think when I went for the interview I sort of decided I didn't want to go there as much as Bristol anyway so I didn't mind
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Current student at the RVC)

My main priority was the facilities. All vet schools are amazing but my top two were always RVC and Edinburgh because they have awesome exotics teaching. Other universities have unofficial areas that they're known for, but take that with a pinch of salt since all vet schools will teach you everything you need to know!

Location was another huge factor for me. I didn't mind moving far away as long as it was somewhere I was going to like. Consider whether the student housing is in a convenient location, price etc.

I'd recommend getting to as many open days as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Current student - 2nd year Liverpool

I chose the ones I liked the most. I went to open days/looked at each of the courses individually, as well as the fact I ruled out vet schools such as Cambridge as I didn't have the grades they were asking for (I did a national diploma not A levels)
    Go to as many open days as possible, have a good look at each university - ask current students what they like about the course and get as much info as you can about each one. Look at the campuses, do you want city, or do you want countryside? Makes a big difference between Liverpool and Nottingham campuses. Do you want to do clinical skills from day 1? Not all unis do this, look closely at the courses.
    All of them are amazing, if they weren't they wouldn't be accredited, it just comes down to which one suits you best and where you would feel happiest, you have 4 choices at the end of the day, so pick the 4 you like the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.