How did you find English Language A Level to English GCSE?

Watch
moon4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Was it a lot more difficult? Different area of English Language subject studied etc?
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by moon4)
Was it a lot more difficult? Different area of English Language subject studied etc?
A level is a lot more scientific - you study language theories and how language is formed rather than just creating it yourself
moon4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Gingerbread101)
A level is a lot more scientific - you study language theories and how language is formed rather than just creating it yourself
Did you get the same grade on your A Level English language as you did the GCSE?
Gingerbread101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by moon4)
Did you get the same grade on your A Level English language as you did the GCSE?
I got an A* at GCSE (almost full UMS) and I got an A in my AS, predicted an A* for A2
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by moon4)
As Gingerbread said, it's a lot more scientific and mechanical. You learn the "nuts and bolts" of the English Language - how it's formed. So how sentences are constructed at a sentence level, clause level, phrase level and word level.

You also learn about language theories from why theorists believe slang is ruining Standard English; Grammarians thoughts on the problems with translations in the 17th century, to how Children learn to speak and write.

Also, the "did you get the same grade at GCSE and A-level" is pretty irrelevant. One person's intelligence does not signify your own.
Some people will find it hard, easy, interesting, boring, relevant, irrelevant, etc. I knew people who got A* at GCSE and then got Ds at A-levels across the boarder. A-levels is how you apply it. You also don't get spoon-fed most of the time, unlike GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (3)
10.71%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
35.71%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (2)
7.14%
No, I haven't received any communication (13)
46.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed