Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, new to student room so please be gentle with me!
    I'm hoping to apply to uni to start Sept 2017 and would like to enrol for an English degree with a view to eventually teaching at secondary school. However, I'm struggling to decide which degree may stand me in the best stead longterm . English literature or English language or a combination of the two?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, unless you go in the top 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Don't do it, unless you go in the top 5.
    Not sure what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say either the mixture or English Literature. The mixture might not be a bad idea, because our generation missed out on proper teaching of grammar, but we will be expected to teach it in secondary schools.
    I've been accepted for a secondary English PGCE and I did English with Creative Writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    english is mickey mouse, do a proper degree or go straight into work

ReputationRep:
    English Literature generally has a higher reputation, but a combination of Literature & Language would also be feasible. Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Combination as you'd be expected to teach both.

A passion for reading/poetry would help.

The students at my school have currently been studying Blood Brothers, Lord of the Flies and The Curious Incident of the Missing Dog as well as a lot of poetry. They find it boring, you need to find it fun and engage with them.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.