Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearing the end of my 1st year at uni and the laptop I have is rubbish so I want a new one, but I have no idea where to start.
    I'm looking into getting a MacBook. I know they (Apple) do a student discount but I'm not sure if it's a waste of my money.
    Suggestions?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just bought a Macbook Air for the final couple of years of my education.

Battery life and portability was the main reason for my buying it, and it has been great! I can get it though a whole day of class and library time and still have enough for another couple of hours! It is quite pricey even with the discount, but you could always go for the cheapest 11 inch. My friend has that size and didn't take too long to get used to it.

Just bare in mind that the 11 inch has 3 hours less battery life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    I just bought a Macbook Air for the final couple of years of my education.

Battery life and portability was the main reason for my buying it, and it has been great! I can get it though a whole day of class and library time and still have enough for another couple of hours! It is quite pricey even with the discount, but you could always go for the cheapest 11 inch. My friend has that size and didn't take too long to get used to it.

Just bare in mind that the 11 inch has 3 hours less battery life!
    Do you have Microsoft office? If so, how much did you pay?

ReputationRep:
    Can you not get Microsoft Office from your university for free as a student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Do you have Microsoft office? If so, how much did you pay?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/educ...s/default.aspx

That should get you it for free if your university is signed up! I've seen nothing from my university about it but I put in my uni email just in case and it worked

Gives you 1tb free storage, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel and OneNote.

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearing the end of my 1st year at uni and the laptop I have is rubbish so I want a new one, but I have no idea where to start.
    I'm looking into getting a MacBook. I know they (Apple) do a student discount but I'm not sure if it's a waste of my money.
    Suggestions?
    What's your budget and what will you be using the laptop for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/educ...s/default.aspx

That should get you it for free if your university is signed up! I've seen nothing from my university about it but I put in my uni email just in case and it worked

Gives you 1tb free storage, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel and OneNote.
    Thank you. Is it only online though or can I access them without Internet connection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    What's your budget and what will you be using the laptop for?
    I don't really have a budget, but I wouldn't want to pay anything over 800 ideally.

I'll mostly be using it for uni work, so Internet & essay writing really and probably YouTube and other social media.
    My friends have suggested a Mac but I'm not sure if it's a waste of my money since I'm not at all tech savvy and probably would never use the cool features that make the price so expensive, but if it's a good laptop that lasts long and is lightweight, I wouldn't mind getting one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Can you not get Microsoft Office from your university for free as a student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure it's only Microsoft 365 that's free and I've heard it can only be accessed via internet connection and doesn't always save work, especially if the Internet crashes

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have a budget, but I wouldn't want to pay anything over 800 ideally.

I'll mostly be using it for uni work, so Internet & essay writing really and probably YouTube and other social media.
    My friends have suggested a Mac but I'm not sure if it's a waste of my money since I'm not at all tech savvy and probably would never use the cool features that make the price so expensive, but if it's a good laptop that lasts long and is lightweight, I wouldn't mind getting one..
    For your usage you could spend as little as £250 on a laptop with a Core i3 processor and 4GB of RAM, and get along just fine. The more you spend upwards of that means getting more power (which may not mean much now, but can mean greater longevity going forwards), superior build quality and portability, longer battery life etc. Getting a laptop that classes as "lightweight" is one of the things that will immediately drive the price up compared to similarly spec'd laptops with more traditional bulky designs. Premium laptops, including the MacBook lines, don't necessarily mean useless features, they often instead focus on providing a more premium experience in areas like design and performance.

So yeah, a few different options:

Sub-£300: This Lenovo is the same size and weight as any other bog standard laptop, but it's well built and has the trio of core specs that I tend to recommend as the minimum for a student laptop which the user won't get frustrated by- a newer generation Core i3 processor, 4GB of RAM and 500GB hard drive.

£400-£500: This model gets you an even more powerful processor, double the RAM and storage, shaves off a decent chunk of size and weight, and has a fully articulating touch screen that a lot of people like but I don't personally don't value to highly.

£600+: This is where you hit the premium ultrabook range which there are loads of good options for, so have a read around and see what you can find. The product line from each manufacturer for this style of laptop are;
    *Asus Zenbook
    *Dell XPS
    *HP Envy/Spectre
    *Lenovo Yoga 700/900, or Yoga 3 Pro
    *Microsoft Surface

...and of course Apple's MacBook lines. If you do opt to go Apple, I would recommend getting the 13" MacBook Pro 128GB with Retina Display, which comes to £840 after student discount when bought from an Apple store or online, as it offer the best combination of price and performance across Apple's whole sub-£1000 line.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.