Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I tell my parents I'm pregnant or my aunt first? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well when things go bad I usually tell my aunt. Because I don't think my parents really are any help. And I've lived with my aunt at times so she helps me out more financially and stuff. While my parents really don't. My parents really aren't parents they're just adults that get money in every month. While my aunt and uncle are a lot more helpful. On top of this I don't want to quite share who the dad is. Because they'd all freak out. I'm 17. I just think though my parents won't be any bit beneficial which is basically why I haven't told them. Advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrb17)
    Well when things go bad I usually tell my aunt. Because I don't think my parents really are any help. And I've lived with my aunt at times so she helps me out more financially and stuff. While my parents really don't. My parents really aren't parents they're just adults that get money in every month. While my aunt and uncle are a lot more helpful. On top of this I don't want to quite share who the dad is. Because they'd all freak out. I'm 17. I just think though my parents won't be any bit beneficial which is basically why I haven't told them. Advice?
    Definitely tell your auntie (though when you do tell your parents maybe don't mention that you already told your auntie)

ReputationRep:
    Tell the one that will be supportive and understanding which is your aunt and maybe your aunt can tell your parents?

ReputationRep:
    eventually you will need to tell them all, but it seems telling your aunt first is advisable as she will be more help and hopefully make you feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    Tell the one that will be supportive and understanding which is your aunt and maybe your aunt can tell your parents?

my parents really aren't great nor would be any help.

LIke they literally can't help me. They don't have anything. My aunt and uncle even have helped me in the past and my aunt is more supportive of me getting my life together. It's just I don't want to tell about the father because he's not doing well at all. He just got arrested apparently and his home life like sucks I'd say worst than mine.

He kind of bounces from family member to family member basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just want oreos)
    eventually you will need to tell them all, but it seems telling your aunt first is advisable as she will be more help and hopefully make you feel better
    I don't really want her to cheer me up. I just think she'd be more helpful than my parents could be.

ReputationRep:
    I think who ever is more supportive an would understand more.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote out a long reply, but it didn't save, so I'll try and summarise.

First question: Have you decided whether you're keeping it? If not, then it may be best just to bring it up with your Aunt. Whichever path you choose, your GP may be able to discuss with you, and help you reach a decision about who to tell, and how to do it. You wouldn't be the first person they've talked about this topic with.

If you're considering not keeping it, if you seek advice quickly, the surgical option may not be necessary - it may just be a case of taking a pill and having an extra-heavy period.

Bear in mind, if you Google this topic, a lot of pro-life groups have hijacked the front page. Anything removed by taking a pill will be a small fraction of the size of a grain of rice, and even things removed surgically won't be much bigger than that. Anything larger than that will be uterine lining.

Whichever path you choose, I find the SPIKES mnemonic helpful. It's normally used for delivering bad news, but it's helpful for working out how you're going to deliver any uncomfortable news. Search on Youtube for "SPIKES bad news" for some examples of it in practice.

Here, I had written a summary of the mnemonic, but it's disappeared now, so I'll just link to a page that explains it. Scroll down to "The Six Steps of SPIKES".

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.o...t/5/4/302.full

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm more prolife than those groups you speak of. If I had an ectopic pregnancy I wouldn't kill my baby. I am like 100% prolife in all cases. I would rather risk my life than get an abortion.

But I am unsure about whether I'm doing adoption or parenting. On one hand adoption seems the responsible prudent idea since I don't have a job or good housing or support to parent. But If it's possible to parent somehow I want to do that...

Either way I intend to tell my aunt later on today.

(Original post by JoeTSR)
    I wrote out a long reply, but it didn't save, so I'll try and summarise.

First question: Have you decided whether you're keeping it? If not, then it may be best just to bring it up with your Aunt. Whichever path you choose, your GP may be able to discuss with you, and help you reach a decision about who to tell, and how to do it. You wouldn't be the first person they've talked about this topic with.

If you're considering not keeping it, if you seek advice quickly, the surgical option may not be necessary - it may just be a case of taking a pill and having an extra-heavy period.

Bear in mind, if you Google this topic, a lot of pro-life groups have hijacked the front page. Anything removed by taking a pill will be a small fraction of the size of a grain of rice, and even things removed surgically won't be much bigger than that. Anything larger than that will be uterine lining.

Whichever path you choose, I find the SPIKES mnemonic helpful. It's normally used for delivering bad news, but it's helpful for working out how you're going to deliver any uncomfortable news. Search on Youtube for "SPIKES bad news" for some examples of it in practice.

Here, I had written a summary of the mnemonic, but it's disappeared now, so I'll just link to a page that explains it. Scroll down to "The Six Steps of SPIKES".

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.o...t/5/4/302.full

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.