I've failed a module in my first year, can I still get into second year Watch

shelly100
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it still possible to get into second year, I want to study abroad for my second year. Is this failed module going to be an issue, if I pass everything else? Or will it mean I can't go into second year until I passed it next year.
MeeranB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shelly100)
Is it still possible to get into second year, I want to study abroad for my second year. Is this failed module going to be an issue, if I pass everything else? Or will it mean I can't go into second year until I passed it next year.
Ask your tutor
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You'll still be able to go on to second year but you may have to retake that module you failed during your second year. You may also be able to retake some assignments/exams in the summer before your second year too.
As for year abroad, I'm not sure for your uni but I know you need a minimum of around 60% in each module to be eligible for a year abroad.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
You really need to contact your department to see what the rules are relating to failing a module. Maybe they will give you sufficient time to do a resit. It varies between unis and courses.
shelly100
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by cherryred90s)
You'll still be able to go on to second year but you may have to retake that module you failed during your second year. You may also be able to retake some assignments/exams in the summer before your second year too.
As for year abroad, I'm not sure for your uni but I know you need a minimum of around 60% in each module to be eligible for a year abroad.
I passed all my other modules so far except for this one. When I applied for study abroad they never said anything about needing 60%. It was something like it depended on the host uni requirements. I'm not sure though I'm hoping it's not 60%
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Check your uni's policies for admittance to 2nd year and for retakes. At mine we need 40% in first year across the modules that are counted, including 40% in every core module. We can retake once at the start of 2nd year.
They sometimes have slightly different policies for 1st year January exams. For one of my core modules we can also retake in June, so you might want to check that too.
lukeisfantasy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends what code you got for the module when the marks were published on student record . Check the code against the document from the student centre http://www.studynet2.herts.ac.uk/ptl/common/studentcentre.nsf/0/98370E73AE82CA21802577E60057CE00/$FILE/Transcript%20Grade%20Information %20January%202012.pdf . If still stuck, talk to your programme tutor who will be able to tell you what to do
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
Check your uni's policies for admittance to 2nd year and for retakes. At mine we need 40% in first year across the modules that are counted, including 40% in every core module. We can retake once at the start of 2nd year.
They sometimes have slightly different policies for 1st year January exams. For one of my core modules we can also retake in June, so you might want to check that too.
40%!?
Mines 60-70
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I passed all my other modules so far except for this one. When I applied for study abroad they never said anything about needing 60%. It was something like it depended on the host uni requirements. I'm not sure though I'm hoping it's not 60%
Your uni probably has some form of entry requirement so check the website or ask a tutor.
If you've failed the module, you'll have to retake either at the end of this academic year or during your next year.
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
40%!?
Mines 60-70
That seems quite high. That means that everyone going through is on track for a 1st or a 2.1.
Although the requirements for staying on the 4 year course for mine is 60% after 2nd year I think.
shawtyb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
40%!?
Mines 60-70
40% is the pass mark for modules in my uni as well
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shawtyb)
40% is the pass mark for modules in my uni as well
Yeah 40 the pass mark but to be eligible for a year or term abroad, you need 60-70
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah 40 the pass mark but to be eligible for a year or term abroad, you need 60-70
At mine the 40% is just to get into the second year. I don't think there are additional requirements to do a year abroad. But it depends on the uni.
edit: Obviously you have to speak the language etc..
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At mine the 40% is just to get into the second year. I don't think there are additional requirements to do a year abroad. But it depends on the uni.
edit: Obviously you have to speak the language etc..
Which uni are you at?
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which uni are you at?
Warwick.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Warwick.
I've just had a look, your uni requires 60% too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    All Subjects Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads