Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys sorry to be a pain but ihave just checked the syllabus and I don't have any notes on the adavantages and disadvantages of batch and continuous cultures and I can't find them anywhere in the textbook.

Could anyone please, please give me a very quick summary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Guys sorry to be a pain but ihave just checked the syllabus and I don't have any notes on the adavantages and disadvantages of batch and continuous cultures and I can't find them anywhere in the textbook.

Could anyone please, please give me a very quick summary?
    Please someone? I'm really desperate here!

ReputationRep:
    Is This On The Bya8 Today?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, ok...

Continuous cultures - advantages: don't have to shut fermenter down as often as for batch cultures - when you shut it down after a batch you have to empty it, sterilize it, refill etc: takes time and hassle. Also as you're restarting the culture each time, with batch cultures you have the lag phase each time, which slows production; with continuous cultures you don't have this problem.

Disadvantages: continuous cultures aren't always best for producing certain things, eg for the full flavour development of some foods you need to use batch cultures. Also some products are made only when cell growth stops; obviously this doesn't happen in a continuous culture! Finally, contamination can have much more serious effects.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Erm, ok...

Continuous cultures - advantages: don't have to shut fermenter down as often as for batch cultures - when you shut it down after a batch you have to empty it, sterilize it, refill etc: takes time and hassle. Also as you're restarting the culture each time, with batch cultures you have the lag phase each time, which slows production; with continuous cultures you don't have this problem.

Disadvantages: continuous cultures aren't always best for producing certain things, eg for the full flavour development of some foods you need to use batch cultures. Also some products are made only when cell growth stops; obviously this doesn't happen in a continuous culture! Finally, contamination can have much more serious effects.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you so so much. Yeah it is for today!

ReputationRep:
    U Got The Paper ? What Q's Are On The Bya8 [paper//???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodster)
    U Got The Paper ? What Q's Are On The Bya8 [paper//???
    Sorry I didn't mean its ON todays paper, I meant i need to know it for todays paper as it could come up and I just realised I don't know it! If I had the paper believe me I'd be a lot less stressed!

ReputationRep:
    i just sent u a pm wink wink riz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodster)
    i just sent u a pm wink wink riz
    LOL i don't think you understand I DON'T HAVE THE FRECKIN EXAM PAPER. Why don't you spend this time doing some last minute revision rather than trying to get hold of a paper which I don't have?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.