Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to join the police, so I'm considering joining as a Special Constable whilst studying Primary Education at university.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has recently completed, or still is studying a degree whilst working as an SC?

If so, is it difficult to juggle the job, an avid social life, and your degree?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in my training for becoming an SC while doing my degree (takes about a year). I have no real social life tbh. But I do have a fair amount of recreational time still. You choose when you want to train and/or put in work so it's not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I'm still in my training for becoming an SC while doing my degree (takes about a year). I have no real social life tbh. But I do have a fair amount of recreational time still. You choose when you want to train and/or put in work so it's not so bad.
    Awesome. How is training, are you enjoying it? I've also discovered that in Scotland you only need to complete a minimum of 96 hours a year, so I think I may be able to comfortably fit this around my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merfie)
    Awesome. How is training, are you enjoying it? I've also discovered that in Scotland you only need to complete a minimum of 96 hours a year, so I think I may be able to comfortably fit this around my degree.
    Oh wow that's not very much at all. It's 16hours a month here in England. So 196hours a year. But, if you have a reason to not be able to do it in that month and tell them then they don't mind and it stacks obviously so if you do loads in one month, like 4 weekends, you don't need to do any next month (say you do 8hours on a saturday/sunday one weekend, then it's one weekend a month). So it is super flexible and mate, it's way better work experience than "Oh I worked a retail job" (like every other student).

Some of the training is enjoyable and fairly obviously I guess some isn't. You know that with a public organisation you're going to have deal with certain bureaucracy so that can be boring. Filling out forms and watching slideshows on really obvious things, but it's necessary for legal reasons I guess. Officer safety training was a lot of fun though ^^ Apart from getting CS gassed in the eyes. That wasn't as fun. Overall though it is pretty interesting. Even just covering the legal definitions of crimes and what powers not only constables have but we right now have. I've yet to do the IT training though as I've booked it all together last to do later this month they say that is extremely tedious though and tbh i'm not entirely sure why have about 8, 4hour sessions on IT when as SCs we won't really be using it ourselves... *shrugs*

I'd definitely recommend it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.