Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the explanation. I've heard the call/put terminology before. Maths is not my strongest subject and the sound of this makes me nervous.. i'll have a read about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Axlerod)
    Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the stock market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀
    That's not really much and with little knowledge i'd probably go for an ETF and track an index. Barclays will give you execution only. You need to learn basic accounting and be prepared to go over company accounts to identify the firms you think are undervalued. Also read Benjamin Graham's - The Intelligent Investor.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  trading.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  99.4 KB

This month's trading in Binary Options. It's been a good and eventful month. Rising oil prices, massive USD gain against JPY after Non farm payroll announcement followed by huge USD drop after dovish FOMC announcement resulting in appreciation of most currencies against the dollar and huge rise in gold/silver. Strong pound after budget announcement. Managed to catch the momentum on all the events. Missed a few big chances but can't win them all.

ReputationRep:
    How do you pick good stocks and shares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    You can use fundamental analysis: Basically checking on upcoming company press releases and speculating on the outcome.

Or what I do:

Technical analysis: graphical and statistical functions to predict whether a market will rise or fall in the coming days.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on your time preference to start with (do you want to trade frequently or are you looking for a long term stock) but you learn to read basic accounting and study anything and everything news related that may impact them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Depends on your time preference to start with (do you want to trade frequently or are you looking for a long term stock) but you learn to read basic accounting and study anything and everything news related that may impact them.

What kind of things do you look at ?

ReputationRep:
    That's if you want to do fundamental analysis, too much speculation for me. It's perfectly possible to know nothing about the instrument you're trading and trade exclusively with technical analysis, suits more people too as doesn't require boning up on news all the time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What kind of things do you look at ?
    (Original post by will3482)
    That's if you want to do fundamental analysis, too much speculation for me. It's perfectly possible to know nothing about the instrument you're trading and trade exclusively with technical analysis, suits more people too as doesn't require boning up on news all the time.
    Well i should say that i'm still a peasant so have no investments as yet but being gainfully employed i hope to get in the market late this year or next.

I tend to take a long term view in what my approach will be (i.e. typically i'd want quarterly gains over shifting shares frequently) so i suppose i'd be looking for firms which have good margins, high capital investment and are what i'd deem undervalued. Saying that though i also like IPO's, mergers (lots of money to be made with these things) and i'd probably have a pot with firms which are technically overvalued but are growing fast.

ReputationRep:
    Well i should say that i'm still a peasant so have no investments as yet but being gainfully employed i hope to get in the market late this year or next.

I tend to take a long term view in what my approach will be (i.e. typically i'd want quarterly gains over shifting shares frequently) so i suppose i'd be looking for firms which have good margins, high capital investment and are what i'd deem undervalued. Saying that though i also like IPO's, mergers (lots of money to be made with these things) and i'd probably have a pot with firms which are technically overvalued but are growing fast.
    You could also buy equity?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by john2054)
    You could also buy equity?
    Stocks are equities but yeah, i get your wider point.

ReputationRep:
    Stocks are equities but yeah, i get your wider point.
    I considering on loading in some more gold bullion in a couple of weeks, when i get paid?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I considering on loading in some more gold bullion in a couple of weeks, when i get paid?
    If your actually buying real physical gold then great, i'd definitely want to get some myself.

If your wanting to trade futures for the long term then right now i think gold is more likely to lose value over the next 2-3 years than rise appreciably albeit if you trade over short timeframes then there's always bounces. Right now i'd probably want some crude futures if your prepared to hold a few years.

ReputationRep:
    If your actually buying real physical gold then great, i'd definitely want to get some myself.

If your wanting to trade futures for the long term then right now i think gold is more likely to lose value over the next 2-3 years than rise appreciably albeit if you trade over short timeframes then there's always bounces. Right now i'd probably want some crude futures if your prepared to hold a few years.
    Yes agreed oil looks promising. But that being said i don't know where i can easily buy some from. BTW i do my gold trading on bitgold.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes agreed oil looks promising. But that being said i don't know where i can easily buy some from. BTW i do my gold trading on bitgold.
    http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...investment.asp

Or a petrol station.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone interested in getting a $50 free web trading account? I won a contest and I have a few accounts (on a fully licensed broker based in London) to give away. The $50 is not withdrawable but you can freely trade it in whatever market you like. Send me a PM for details.

ReputationRep:
    It's still depends on how the market works. There's no such thing as best trader.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.