Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you think of one politician who works for the public good? Watch

ReputationRep:
    - Not for personal gain/promotion/improving the party, and
    - Not for pushing forward/realising their political ideology and strengthening it.

I can seldom think of any politicians who work for purely for what is solely in the public good and are not motivated by the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Not for pushing forward/realising their political ideology and strengthening it.
    Finding a politician that doesn't do that is impossible as that is literally their job and a fair number of them do that because they think it will work for the public good.

ReputationRep:
    If you think that you and your ideas serve the public the best then you are going to seek promotion and to push your ideals. So the two certainly aren't mutually exclusive.

Corbyn for example, may be a dangerously naive buffoon, but I think he genuinely does believe that his polices are the best for the country, and it is because of that that he puts himself and his ideas forward.

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson An honest man, for sure. Say no more.

ReputationRep:
    George Osborne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    If you think that you and your ideas serve the public the best then you are going to seek promotion and to push your ideals. So the two certainly aren't mutually exclusive.

Corbyn for example, may be a dangerously naive buffoon, but I think he genuinely does believe that his polices are the best for the country, and it is because of that that he puts himself and his ideas forward.
    I'm thinking more of a politician who will look at objective facts/evidence and abandon their ideology in favour of what is actually in the public good based on the objective facts/evidence. I don't think Corbyn does/would do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Corbyn for example, may be a dangerously naive buffoon.
    This is the picture the mainstream media want to portray. They find this easy (in their typically lazy way) as they manage to take virtually everything he says out of context. If anyone bothers to find out what he really thinks they may have a different view.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gove, Hague, Willets.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course people are going to have different ideas about what's in the public good - and not always because some of them are stupid or evil.

Historical example - Nicholas Winterton who, as chair of the health select committee,was so effective at criticising government health policy that the government tried to get rid of him by gifting the chair to the opposition - the gift was rejected.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-1532004.html

whether you think he was right or wrong about the direction of the health service, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that he thought he was doing the right thing in criticising the government. Certainly didn';t advance his career at all.

ReputationRep:
    I think plenty of politicians really do think they and the political system are there to work in the bests interests of the population. I tend to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    - Not for personal gain/promotion/improving the party, and
    - Not for pushing forward/realising their political ideology and strengthening it.

I can seldom think of any politicians who work for purely for what is solely in the public good and are not motivated by the above.
    I think a common view on labour party members and those higher up in the party hierarchy see the almost Michevilian pursuit of power as being justifiable since in order to do any kind of social good connected to labour values they need to be in government. It is possible to combine the things you are talking about.

There is also a difference between thinking what are doing and effects you have and what actually happens.

I'm thinking more of a politician who will look at objective facts/evidence and abandon their ideology in favour of what is actually in the public good based on the objective facts/evidence. I don't think Corbyn does/would do that.
    Whilst we should certainly strive for that you can't work a lot of this stuff out scientifically. It's impossible.

The Chinese government based their one child policy that involved forced abortions on facts and evidence. Does that make them inherently right? How does science decide which is more important. What effect population size has on society or people's individual autonomy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Well of course people are going to have different ideas about what's in the public good - and not always because some of them are stupid or evil.

Historical example - Nicholas Winterton who, as chair of the health select committee,was so effective at criticising government health policy that the government tried to get rid of him by gifting the chair to the opposition - the gift was rejected.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-1532004.html

whether you think he was right or wrong about the direction of the health service, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that he thought he was doing the right thing in criticising the government. Certainly didn';t advance his career at all.

huh....

He used to be my MP.

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage.

[Bring on the bigotted haters telling me I'm mentally ill.]

Reasons why:

Everything he's done is to get out of the EU which is better for the public, in my I opinion. He thinks it'd be better for the public as well, clearly, and that's all he, apparently, wants I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Nigel Farage resigns if Britain leaves the EU, having accomplished his mission.

I read an article once from a pro-EU European who spent some time with Farage and this person said that, other than his own father, Nigel Farage was the hardest working man he'd met.

He didn't have to do this, he used to be a stockbroker or something and was making a lot of money.

Finally, for now, he's the only politician defending true, unbigoted, free speech in our country. Because of this, he takes a lot of flack from bigots calling him 'racist' and whatever and it's really quite sickening that a man who's attempting to do good for the public is treated like this.

ReputationRep:
    David Laws?

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn easily. Man of the people.

ReputationRep:
    Bernie Sanders. Although I can't think of anyone from the UK.. which says a lot

ReputationRep:
    William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith,

ReputationRep:
    How can you work for a common good without having an idea of what that good entails (ideology) ?

ReputationRep:
    Caroline Lucas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Corbyn easily. Man of the people.
    I forgot the British public were Islamists, IRA bombers and Argentinians.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.