Can you think of one politician who works for the public good? Watch

pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's an odd question. I'm fairly sure most mps do their jobs because they think they can make their country better, rather than for financial gain etc. Just because you don't agree with their point of view doesn't mean it has to have some ulterior motive.
KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pjm600)
It's an odd question. I'm fairly sure most mps do their jobs because they think they can make their country better, rather than for financial gain etc. Just because you don't agree with their point of view doesn't mean it has to have some ulterior motive.
Absolutely.

And just lol at the idea that people with elite educations and solid backgrounds who could be company directors, bankers, high-end lawyers or have an assortment of other handsomely-paid jobs would be an MP if they're primarily money chasers.

"My main priority is money, but I'm not sure if I should become wealthy by being an MP on 60 something grand with use of a room in London plus expenses for train fares and pens, or a get job in the city on 7 figures. I'll be an MP" like Rachel Reeves or Theresa May might have been in mediocre 50k jobs if it weren't for their political careers lol.

So many people have this childish attitude that anybody who disagrees with them or has a different viewpoint to them must surely have an ulterior motive and not have the interests of the people at heart. It's a staggering level or arrogance and delusion these people have.
Last edited by KimKallstrom; 2 years ago
Farchitect
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The reality is most politicians, certainly the more senior ones, could easily get more money going to work for J.P. Morgan Chase, or whoever. People often see that MPs are on £75k (last I heard) and think that's loads, but it isn't compared to what they could be earning, and it's important that we do attract the most capable and clever people, being a politician isn't just about being similar to the majority of the electorate.
AliRizzo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KimKallstrom)
I forgot the British public were Islamists, IRA bombers and Argentinians.
You want some salt with that?
_icecream
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ian Duncan Smith because he will stop the scroungers from scrounging
Last edited by _icecream; 2 years ago
_icecream
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
George Osborne
Are you serious?
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by similarBlank)
Nigel Farage.

[Bring on the bigotted haters telling me I'm mentally ill.]

Reasons why:

Everything he's done is to get out of the EU which is better for the public, in my I opinion. He thinks it'd be better for the public as well, clearly, and that's all he, apparently, wants I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Nigel Farage resigns if Britain leaves the EU, having accomplished his mission.

I read an article once from a pro-EU European who spent some time with Farage and this person said that, other than his own father, Nigel Farage was the hardest working man he'd met.

He didn't have to do this, he used to be a stockbroker or something and was making a lot of money.

Finally, for now, he's the only politician defending true, unbigoted, free speech in our country. Because of this, he takes a lot of flack from bigots calling him 'racist' and whatever and it's really quite sickening that a man who's attempting to do good for the public is treated like this.
Does that or does that not include his no-show policy at the European Parliament, while still taking expenses and party funding?
Jamie S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pretty much all of them.
KimKallstrom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AliRizzo)
You want some salt with that?
Sure, as there's currently no saltiness at all

It's a serious point though. He plainly pushes his own agenda (ie the stuff I outlined) over that of the people's, which is a fair and relevant response to the statement is it not?
KimKallstrom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Does that or does that not include his no-show policy at the European Parliament, while still taking expenses and party funding?
This a fair point but do remember he could be earning far more if he felt like it. I'm not saying he isn't a highly unpleasant character but the implication he's in it primarily for the money is off the mark
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Loads of them.

There are 600+ of them, I bet even the most politically keen posters here couldn't name 10%.

Plenty of the random guys and girls nobody's ever heard of are dedicated public servants. Just because you don't hear of them doesn't mean they don't exist.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This a fair point but do remember he could be earning far more if he felt like it. I'm not saying he isn't a highly unpleasant character but the implication he's in it primarily for the money is off the mark
Firstly, power > money, especially at the top where the money is more than more than enough.

Secondly, anyone would prefer a glamorous job as ebullient political party leader and soapboxer as opposed to anonymous metals trader.

Those with a particular utility function (fame-seekers) even more so. I don't doubt Farage is one of those!
similarBlank
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've seen footage of him at the EU parliament, but if he did go to the EU parliament people would say he's apart of the thing he's supposedly trying to destroy and that's bad, if he doesn't people would say he's not doing his job as an elected MEP and that's bad. Either way, there isn't really a winnable option when it comes to that. Of course he's going to take expenses and party funding. If he didn't UKIP would be greatly disadvantaged against the other parties, which also do it, meaning he wouldn't be able to serve the public by doing what he thinks is best.
Horsedobbin
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tony Blair did a lot of good to the NHS.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sure, as there's currently no saltiness at all

It's a serious point though. He plainly pushes his own agenda (ie the stuff I outlined) over that of the people's, which is a fair and relevant response to the statement is it not?
Yeah because he certainly pushes 'bombers and Islamists' agendas.

You're pathetic. Grow up and learn to have a proper debate rather than a daily mail one.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Firstly, power > money, especially at the top where the money is more than more than enough.

Secondly, anyone would prefer a glamorous job as ebullient political party leader and soapboxer as opposed to anonymous metals trader.

Those with a particular utility function (fame-seekers) even more so. I don't doubt Farage is one of those!
But you can say the same thing about left wing people. There are probably a mixture of reasons why people do things. I imagine what you say does apply to Farage but then I would also say a lot of it is motivated by genuine conviction.

Also taking money from the EU doesn't really seem hyprocticla to me. If a say a Green organisation was somehow getting money from an Industry to use to fight against said industry I don;t see a fundamental problem with that. Left wingers deal with this all the time, you have to exist within a system you don't necessarily agree with. I see no reason why the same can not apply to Parties that want to leave the EU using funding from the EU to fight for their anti-EU cause.
Last edited by ChaoticButterfly; 2 years ago
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They are all corrupt.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
But you can say the same thing about left wing people. There are probably a mixture of reasons why people do things. I imagine what you say does apply to Farage but then I would also say a lot of it is motivated by genuine conviction.

Also taking money from the EU doesn't really seem hyprocticla to me. If a say a Green organisation was somehow getting money from an Industry to use to fight against said industry I don;t see a fundamental problem with that. Left wingers deal with this all the time, you have to exist within a system you don't necessarily agree with. I see no reason why the same can not apply to Parties that want to leave the EU using funding from the EU to fight for their anti-EU cause.
Yes of course it is no different for right vs left wing. When it comes to hypocrisy that's my response too but I'm not going to pass up the chance to take a cheap shot at a right-winger's hypocrisy when they are so circle-jerkingly fond of doing it to lefties. I take the same attitude to most of my dealings with officialdom and so does everyone else, you're a mug if you don't. Indeed the more cynically we pursue our self-interest the more effectively left-wing programmes to engineer outcomes can be designed.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (517)
91.5%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.5%

Watched Threads