Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you owe your parents anything??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So was thinking about how much parents do for their offspring and I got to wondering...should that be one way street?
    When people think about giving back to their parents it's always money but that not the only give back I mean ...

Say a parent get a kidney failing ...should you be obligated to give them yours ? Just because they raised you ?? Or say when they get old ...should it be your job to take care of them??

I PERSONALLY don't think you do owe them anything but... You should do those things to be a good human..not from a sense of duty.
    Thoughts ?? Ideas?? Go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Silver_Spider23)
    So was thinking about how much parents do for their offspring and I got to wondering...should that be one way street?
    When people think about giving back to their parents it's always money but that not the only give back I mean ...

Say a parent get a kidney failing ...should you be obligated to give them yours ? Just because they raised you ?? Or say when they get old ...should it be your job to take care of them??

I PERSONALLY don't think you do owe them anything but... You should do those things to be a good human..not from a sense of duty.
    Thoughts ?? Ideas?? Go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    After my dad passed away when I was 9, my mum raised me by herself and I feel she did a good job so if she needed a kidney I d definetly offer her mine. I do hope she stays in good health for as long as possible but if she needs care and support then between me and my sister we d want to do our best to help I think. I do feel like I owe it to her but also I love her and she's the only parent I have so want to do what I can if I can help.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I probably owe my mum some money and of course if she (or my dad) needed a kidney and I was a match, I would give it. Generally speaking though, I'm from the "I never asked to be conceived/born" school of thinking I try to show affection and give some attention now and then, but I don't feel any huge obligation to my parents :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It's a none discussion really the circle is they look after you then there is a period of mutual benefit then they get old and you look after them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I owe my parents everything. A lifetime of service is what they deserve. They brought me up and no amount of money/material wealth can account for it

ReputationRep:
    i owe my parents everything. even though my mum has been a useless parent and not in my life after 10 i still owe her everything and respect her as my mother; she still raised me till i was 10 and carried me in her for 9 months. i was a pain in the backside too when i was a baby (i used to cry ALL the time). i wouldn't even hesitate giving my parents a kidney, heck i wouldn't even hesitate to give them my heart as they would do the same for me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you do. Kind of *****y not to. if there is abuse, then fine, if not, then it's wrong not to.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.