Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you owe your parents anything??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So was thinking about how much parents do for their offspring and I got to wondering...should that be one way street?
    When people think about giving back to their parents it's always money but that not the only give back I mean ...

Say a parent get a kidney failing ...should you be obligated to give them yours ? Just because they raised you ?? Or say when they get old ...should it be your job to take care of them??

I PERSONALLY don't think you do owe them anything but... You should do those things to be a good human..not from a sense of duty.
    Thoughts ?? Ideas?? Go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Silver_Spider23)
    So was thinking about how much parents do for their offspring and I got to wondering...should that be one way street?
    When people think about giving back to their parents it's always money but that not the only give back I mean ...

Say a parent get a kidney failing ...should you be obligated to give them yours ? Just because they raised you ?? Or say when they get old ...should it be your job to take care of them??

I PERSONALLY don't think you do owe them anything but... You should do those things to be a good human..not from a sense of duty.
    Thoughts ?? Ideas?? Go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    After my dad passed away when I was 9, my mum raised me by herself and I feel she did a good job so if she needed a kidney I d definetly offer her mine. I do hope she stays in good health for as long as possible but if she needs care and support then between me and my sister we d want to do our best to help I think. I do feel like I owe it to her but also I love her and she's the only parent I have so want to do what I can if I can help.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I probably owe my mum some money and of course if she (or my dad) needed a kidney and I was a match, I would give it. Generally speaking though, I'm from the "I never asked to be conceived/born" school of thinking I try to show affection and give some attention now and then, but I don't feel any huge obligation to my parents :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It's a none discussion really the circle is they look after you then there is a period of mutual benefit then they get old and you look after them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I owe my parents everything. A lifetime of service is what they deserve. They brought me up and no amount of money/material wealth can account for it

ReputationRep:
    i owe my parents everything. even though my mum has been a useless parent and not in my life after 10 i still owe her everything and respect her as my mother; she still raised me till i was 10 and carried me in her for 9 months. i was a pain in the backside too when i was a baby (i used to cry ALL the time). i wouldn't even hesitate giving my parents a kidney, heck i wouldn't even hesitate to give them my heart as they would do the same for me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you do. Kind of *****y not to. if there is abuse, then fine, if not, then it's wrong not to.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.