Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    I'm a vegan but I disagree with any condescension of meat eaters or conversion tactics.

There are a lot of things we don't NEED to do, but consumer culture and society are at this point and the meat industry is a standard feature of rich economies.
    Morally bankrupt practices are often standard features of rich economies. Exploitation - of the environment, of slaves, of animals - is lucrative.

ReputationRep:
    We don't need to complain every minute of the day, and challenge other people on what they do in their lives. But you clearly do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)
    It got your attention didn't it?
    You prefer taste over killing animals (dont forget your an animal too) who may not be able to do complicated mathematical sums but are smart enough to know that they are gonna be slaughtered and they try to run but they cant they call for help but there is none, baby cows are torn away from their mothers so we can drink the milk instead. Imagine if the roles were reversed! The whole world would be screaming THIS IS WRONG! because simply it is.
    We wear clothes made by humans in atrocious conditions. We smoke cigarettes containing plants harvested by child slaves who are ill from Green Tobacco Sickness. We benefit from the exploitation of people, animals, the environment. That's how it's always been.

Don't smoke?
    Don't wear clothes?
    Don't eat meat?

Nah. I'm a bad person.

Take an hour of your time to watch this please.
    Gary Yourofsky is brilliant and this will change the way you think.
    We dont. Need to eat. MEAT.
    How ironic, you say we don't need to eat meat and then you throw a hunk of spam at us.

I'm not giving you an hour of my time for this video. No ****en way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa33d97)
    Jesus was against veganism.
    Jesus didn't live in a world with quite so many starving people in it.

ReputationRep:

Not a vegetarian but I agree with you, humans do not possess the biological equipment to eat meat

ReputationRep:

I remember using this to revise for my GCSE speaking and listening exam...I got an A
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've tried to watch Yourofsky a few times but have always swiftly changed to something else out of boredom :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It got your attention didn't it?
    You prefer taste over killing animals (dont forget your an animal too) who may not be able to do complicated mathematical sums but are smart enough to know that they are gonna be slaughtered and they try to run but they cant they call for help but there is none, baby cows are torn away from their mothers so we can drink the milk instead. Imagine if the roles were reversed! The whole world would be screaming THIS IS WRONG! because simply it is.
    Does the lion care for the suffering of the baby deer as it rips it apart. I think not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Jesus didn't live in a world with quite so many starving people in it.
    If this is/was the case, should we not be less picky now then and just eat some meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    We made clothes made by humans in atrocious conditions. We smoke cigarettes containing plants harvested by child slaves who are ill from Green Tobacco Sickness. We benefit from the exploitation of people, animals, the environment. That's how it's always been.

Don't smoke?
    Don't wear clothes?
    Don't eat meat?

Nah. I'm a bad person.
    The last two centuries have seen massive improvements to the welfare of exploited groups in general. Clearly, making the world a fairer place is possible, or we wouldn't have got this far. "The world isn't fair" is not a valid excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Morally bankrupt practices are often standard features of rich economies. Exploitation - of the environment, of slaves, of animals - is lucrative.
    Yes, I'm not disputing that.

The point is because of this people have it ingrained in them to eat meat because it is a standard outcome of economic development.

And vegans just simply go the wrong way about trying to 'educate' people. It's like 'THIS IS WHY YOU ARE WRONG'- it should be 'this is why I do it, maybe you should try' and potentially pointing out (nicely) the hypocrisy of anyone who cares about sustainable use of the planet and the environment eating meat since it is a bigger contributor to carbon emissions than all forms of transport put together.

We dont need to eat meat. Neither do we need satellites, condoms or Sky Sports but I'm dam glad they exist. We also dont need electricity or our thumbs. I suggest we all move to Scotland and become a hedgehog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    If this is/was the case, should we not be less picky now then and just eat some meat?
    No. The meat industry is part of the problem when it comes to mass starvation. It's a far more efficient means of food production to grow plants and eat them then it is to feed the plants to animals and then eat the animals. An equivalent area of land can grow far more vegetables than it can meat.

ReputationRep:

You're preaching to the converted brother!

ReputationRep:
    Can you halal a broccoli?

ReputationRep:
    The last two centuries have seen massive improvements to the welfare of exploited groups in general. Clearly, making the world a fairer place is possible, or we wouldn't have got this far. "The world isn't fair" is not a valid excuse.
    You can't compare 200 years ago to now. That's ridiculous.

Humans and animals are not equal. I wish we could live in a world where we didn't eat meat, but we won't, and don't. We've eaten meat since the dawn of man and that will never change.

I have bigger fish to fry than worry about meat consumption. I'd rather concern myself with how we treat eachother as human beings first.

ReputationRep:
    No. The meat industry is part of the problem when it comes to mass starvation. It's a far more efficient means of food production to grow plants and eat them then it is to feed the plants to animals and then eat the animals. An equivalent area of land can grow far more vegetables than it can meat.
    Yes, I'm not disputing that.

The point is because of this people have it ingrained in them to eat meat because it is a standard outcome of economic development.

And vegans just simply go the wrong way about trying to 'educate' people. It's like 'THIS IS WHY YOU ARE WRONG'- it should be 'this is why I do it, maybe you should try' and potentially pointing out (nicely) the hypocrisy of anyone who cares about sustainable use of the planet and the environment eating meat since it is a bigger contributor to carbon emissions than all forms of transport put together.
    I completely agree with you both and I admire all the people on here who abstain from meat. After all, you're all going to look 30 when you're 60 and live longer than us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I completely agree with you both and I admire all the people on here who abstain from meat. After all, you're all going to look 30 when you're 60 and live longer than us
    and these lean body goalz ftw :yep:

And good digestion.

And good skin and hair.

Oh and energy levels.

All things that have improved on a vegan diet above :yep:

ReputationRep:
    and these lean body goalz ftw :yep:

And good digestion.

And good skin and hair.

Oh and energy levels.

All things that have improved on a vegan diet above :yep:
    I tried a vegetarian diet for 3 months but alas I couldn't keep it up and my cravings got the better of me when I lost a relative. I might try it again in the future though and see if I can do it for longer this time. Vegetarian recipes look so good. I don't think I could ever be vegan though, I like dairy and eggs too much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.