Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    You obviously haven't eaten farmed insects. For the same price, you get more proteins.
    Insects are animals famalam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Insects are animals famalam
    Fair point, just eat those without a central nervous system.

ReputationRep:
    McDonalds is literally the only reason why I'm not a vegetarian right now

ReputationRep:
    So what if we don't need to eat meat, I like to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    Mate I’ve got a science degree.

I never at all said that this was fact or scientific evidence.

I specifically said- these are the things that have improved whilst I am on a vegan diet. And then listed weight loss as one of them. Because it’s true for me.

It’s made me feel immeasurably better and helped my relationship with food which may also be a reason. I’m not disputing the scientific basis of calories in vs. calories out. Infact I wrote an entire blog post on calorie counting recently.

You took one bullet point out of an entire post and created a point of discussion that wasn’t even there. Not very scientific of you.

This is what I said before I listed weight loss:

For example the personal health benefits I have experienced since transitioning to a vegan diet:

It says for example
    It says personal
    It says I

Let me know at what point that looked like I was stating it as scientific fact or insinuated there was scientific evidence to back it up.
    Mate, the degree doesn't make the scientist.

Anyway, I did phrase that last post pretty badly, I'll grant you that. What I meant was that you really need to be careful with these things.

As I'm sure you know well, most of the world's population struggle to understand the difference between valid evidence and personal experience. It means that we have to point out that a personal experience we're referring to should not be taken as evidence towards anything, because if we don’t people think, "it happened to him/her therefore it will happen to me too."

I agree that you didn't say it was scientific, but since you forgot to mention that it wasn't, people are going to assume that it is.

The basic laws of human stupidity sum it up nicely. Law 1 states that we will always underestimate the number of stupid people in the population, so we have to compensate for this. Law 5 says that the damage caused by stupid people is always underestimated too, so we have to prevent this damage by compensating for the first law.

By the way, the book 'Oxygen, the molecule that made the world' has quite an in depth discussion of the effects of metabolic rate on health, in case you're interested. The title really doesn't do it justice, despite it's calling dioxygen 'Oxygen' (and ignoring the fact that 'Oxygen' could refer to any of the element's allotropes) it's got some great content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Mate, the degree doesn't make the scientist.

Anyway, I did phrase that last post pretty badly, I'll grant you that. What I meant was that you really need to be careful with these things.

As I'm sure you know well, most of the world's population struggle to understand the difference between valid evidence and personal experience. It means that we have to point out that a personal experience we're referring to should not be taken as evidence towards anything, because if we don’t people think, "it happened to him/her therefore it will happen to me too."

I agree that you didn't say it was scientific, but since you forgot to mention that it wasn't, people are going to assume that it is.

The basic laws of human stupidity sum it up nicely. Law 1 states that we will always underestimate the number of stupid people in the population, so we have to compensate for this. Law 5 says that the damage caused by stupid people is always underestimated too, so we have to prevent this damage by compensating for the first law.

By the way, the book 'Oxygen, the molecule that made the world' has quite an in depth discussion of the effects of metabolic rate on health, in case you're interested. The title really doesn't do it justice, despite it's calling dioxygen 'Oxygen' (and ignoring the fact that 'Oxygen' could refer to any of the element's allotropes) it's got some great content.
    I know the degree doesn't make the scientist but I was pointing out that I understand what science is, as I do pseudo-science as well. In fact that's one of my areas of contention :yep: especially when it comes to adoption of GM technology :facepalm2: as I've discussed on my TSR blog :yep:

It is important to be careful of other people's stupidity yes but there comes a point where you can't continuously be accounting for it otherwise you would never say anything intelligent ever.

Book sounds interesting. I know a lot about metabolic rates not least because of the Biological Sciences degree but also because I have a thyroid condition- so I also know just how much your metabolism affects your weight and body composition. Synthetic hyperthyroidism is the bane of my life but its > hypothyroidism so I'll take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Hitler was vegetarian.
    Ah. Seems his good and grounded vegi morals ended up a little bit astray

ReputationRep:
    I know the degree doesn't make the scientist but I was pointing out that I understand what science is, as I do pseudo-science as well. In fact that's one of my areas of contention :yep: especially when it comes to adoption of GM technology :facepalm2: as I've discussed on my TSR blog :yep:

It is important to be careful of other people's stupidity yes but there comes a point where you can't continuously be accounting for it otherwise you would never say anything intelligent ever.

Book sounds interesting. I know a lot about metabolic rates not least because of the Biological Sciences degree but also because I have a thyroid condition- so I also know just how much your metabolism affects your weight and body composition. Synthetic hyperthyroidism is the bane of my life but its > hypothyroidism so I'll take it.
    I know what you mean about the whole GM-iphobia stuff! I've only recently been able to put the whole 'fracking causes earthquakes' thing to bed among my close family, but now they're scared of GM.

I get what you're saying about the whole stupid people problem, but I doubt that ignoring them will help fix the whole pseudo-science issue. Unless educated people will continue to be taken seriously when saying things like "I ate a GM tomato and now there's a tentacle growing out of my stomach!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    I know what you mean about the whole GM-iphobia stuff! I've only recently been able to put the whole 'fracking causes earthquakes' thing to bed among my close family, but now they're scared of GM.

I get what you're saying about the whole stupid people problem, but I doubt that ignoring them will help fix the whole pseudo-science issue. Unless educated people will continue to be taken seriously when saying things like "I ate a GM tomato and now there's a tentacle growing out of my stomach!"
    Would you like me to link you the blog posts here or on your VMs?

ReputationRep:
    *I'm a meat-eater*

What's a vegan's opinion on this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3275913/Lab-grown-burgers-menu-2020-Scientists-set-company-make-stem-cell-meat-affordable-reality.html

ReputationRep:
    Would you like me to link you the blog posts here or on your VMs?
    Link me blog posts, I love a bit of GM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Link me blog posts, I love a bit of GM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's here just click on the link to the part 1 and it takes you to part 2 at the bottom.

GM food regulations and why Greenpeace et al. oppose GM crops (not why you think)- This is a two part post and Part 1 is here and Part 2 is here

ReputationRep:
    HOLY COW (pun intended)

Ethical issues aside, I just wouldn't eat that because it's gross!!

In all seriousness though - I wonder what would happen to the animals the cells are taken from in the long run? Like how would they be kept, how many of them would we need etc.. Even though it's obviously better than killing them, it still sort of seems like unnecessary use of animals.

I appreciate their intentions for sure.. but what's wrong with veggie burgers?! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)

Take an hour of your time to watch this please.
    Gary Yourofsky is brilliant and this will change the way you think.
    We dont. Need to eat. MEAT.
    That's all well and good, but a fairly large part of our calorific intake comes from meats. Where are you proposing we grow the extra crops that we need if we don't have meat? I'm pretty sure agriculture wouldn't support it, and neither would the economy etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    That's all well and good, but a fairly large part of our calorific intake comes from meats. Where are you proposing we grow the extra crops that we need if we don't have meat? I'm pretty sure agriculture wouldn't support it, and neither would the economy etc.
    Do you know what is the most grown crop in the UK is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    but i love a good steak

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huddledapple)
    HOLY COW (pun intended)

Ethical issues aside, I just wouldn't eat that because it's gross!!

In all seriousness though - I wonder what would happen to the animals the cells are taken from in the long run? Like how would they be kept, how many of them would we need etc.. Even though it's obviously better than killing them, it still sort of seems like unnecessary use of animals.

I appreciate their intentions for sure.. but what's wrong with veggie burgers?! :lol:
    Why are veggie burgers sometimes massively spicy? I have them because they are cheaper (I eat meat).

ReputationRep:
    We DO NOT NEED to use CAPITALS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Why are veggie burgers sometimes massively spicy? I have them because they are cheaper (I eat meat).
    I don't know but it is depressing because I hate spicy food! Whenever my friends go to McDonald's (where the only veggie thing is a spicy bean burger or something), I always end up just getting carrot sticks and feeling like a massive cliche!! -_- Spicy veggie burgers aside though, there are some really amazing ones out there too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huddledapple)
    I don't know but it is depressing because I hate spicy food! Whenever my friends go to McDonald's (where the only veggie thing is a spicy bean burger or something), I always end up just getting carrot sticks and feeling like a massive cliche!! -_- Spicy veggie burgers aside though, there are some really amazing ones out there too
    The chips? I thought they were vegetarian?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.