Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Just want oreos)
    my username makes me hungry too also loving that you made ur own hashtag xD
    :console:

I figured I need my own hashtag coz there are so-called 'Third World' problems. Then there are First World problems. And then there are TLG Problems :cool:

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Unlikely but based on past experiences, would never say never. I could stretch as far as high-church Anglican, realistically. Not very far beyond that (am Roman Catholic) :jebus:
    Then there's no hope for me. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any. But if I decided to get married for some crazy reason I would marry a religious person if he accepted me for who I am and would not try to convert me. Also, he would have to agree not to indoctrinate the children and let them choose their own path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Saachi?

For me, it would probably be a no, unless Jain, then yes.
    Yeah, but as long as I'm not asked or encouraged to convert (and nor would I ask it of her).
    I guess it would be easier and more convenient in the long run to get married to someone from the Dharmic faiths though, but if she wasn't I wouldn't let that come in the way.

What about Sikh or Buddhist for you though?

ReputationRep:
    I already have. It's not really a big issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Then there's no hope for me. :cry:
    Awww hunny bun :console: :jumphug:

You never had a chance anyway ...

Spoiler:
    Show
    you're the wrong gender

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Awww hunny bun :console: :jumphug:

You never had a chance anyway ...

Spoiler:
    Show
    you're the wrong gender
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That hurts even more. #NotGirlEnough
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That hurts even more. #NotGirlEnough
    :sad:

:jumphug:

To give a serious answer to the OP: probably not. I have a feeling that it would cause way too many problems even in the early stages of the relationship, let alone the (likely) vehement disagreements over how best to raise children when we get to it. Just not worth the trouble. I wouldn't mind going out with somebody who was an agnostic/deist/non-affiliated person, though, despite me being a very firm atheist.

ReputationRep:
    No, or it depends? But most probably no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkishwhite)
    No, or it depends? But most probably no.
    that use to be my exact response:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. I'm not very religious and wouldn't want to marry a religious fanatic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa33d97)
    im vegan
    looool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah as long as she doesn't try to convert me

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. If they are moderately religious it may work but if they are very religious i pretty much cant see how it would work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    What about Sikh or Buddhist for you though?
    Sikh= for the most part, Punjabi= not my type haha (except Priyanka Chopra..hahaha)
    Buddhist, idk. haha
    For me, it's Gujarati or nothing. And that kinda ends up meaning Hindu or nothing. Tbf, I can't say I would be too comfortable with something other than Hindu. Though, I'd accept atheist/agnostic weirdly?
    I'm just weird.. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Sikh= for the most part, Punjabi= not my type haha (except Priyanka Chopra..hahaha)
    Buddhist, idk. haha
    For me, it's Gujarati or nothing. And that kinda ends up meaning Hindu or nothing. Tbf, I can't say I would be too comfortable with something other than Hindu. Though, I'd accept atheist/agnostic weirdly?
    I'm just weird.. :/
    :sexface: for PC Lmao

Well it makes sense that you would say Jain - they're mostly Gujaratis and they're atheist too so right up you're street :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    :sexface: for PC Lmao

Well it makes sense that you would say Jain - they're mostly Gujaratis and they're atheist too so right up you're street :laugh:
    Funny thing, I didn't even realise they were atheists. In my brain, I associate Hindu, with Jain, thinking they were similar, but they're kinda not.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not. Too many complications in the future.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.