Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, if they were agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Yep, not an issue for me.

I'm hardly the most religious person in the world but that's my view :bigsmile:
    Okay, Mr Shahrukh Khan. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, I would not be able to withstand their attempts to convert me. If they're not interested in converting me, then I am down with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Funny thing, I didn't even realise they were atheists. In my brain, I associate Hindu, with Jain, thinking they were similar, but they're kinda not.
    Lmao that would be awkward:

spv: So you're Hindu, right?
    Girl: No, I'm Jain.
    spv: Aah it's a similar thing. Come, let's go the Laxmi-Narayan Mandir and do aarti for our long married life.
    Girl: Errrm..... we don't believe in God.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Okay, Mr Shahrukh Khan. :laugh:
    But he's my Sharukh Khan:fight::flutter:

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but not any hardcore religous types who turn holy after their dad tells them to grow up and disregards me as kuffar lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Lmao that would be awkward:

Girl: Errrm..... we don't believe in God.
    Well, now ya do!
    jk, they have jain mandirs don't they. Look at the oswal centre. Isn't that a mandir...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i've just seen tons of wedding videos on youtube with the oswal centre as a venue, so idk haha
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes if they're a deist/ not strongly religious, as an atheist I wouldn't want someone trying to convert me

ReputationRep:
    As an atheist, the only logical answer is - no.

This is for many reasons, from personal preference to our mutual futures. First of all, the odds of me being attracted to personality of a someone who is not an atheist/agnostic or at least secular are very low. I'm not attracted to people who have blind faith in anything, no matter what it might be. I'm not attracted to people who base their morals on sayings and teachings of dogmas that are thousands of years old in some cases. I'm rational, logical and reasonable, which most religious people shun. Not to mention that I'm quite liberal, which is something that no major religion really is. It sounds terrifying to spend the rest of my life with someone who's sexist/homophobic/conservative.

Second matter is mostly to do with the fact that I want children, whom of course, a religious person would want to indoctrinate to their liking, which is something I won't stand for.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, no. Firstly because my parents wouldn't be happy with it, and secondly, because it'd (probably) cause conflict in the future.

Never ever.

ReputationRep:
    Good question, yes I would! I might also support my partner in raising my children in that religion as long as we had agreed to offer a differing input on some things. I would not do this if they were unprepared for me to sometimes contradict their views to our children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Probably not
    :sad:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No. My partner would have to have the same beliefs as me on that front. I'm an atheist so I couldn't ever be with someone who is religious, even just moderately religious. I would only date a fellow atheist or an agonistic at a push.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    :sad:
    You also believe In christ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Good question, yes I would! I might also support my partner in raising my children in that religion as long as we had agreed to offer a differing input on some things. I would not do this if they were unprepared for me to sometimes contradict their views to our children.
    thats quite a reasonable way to look at it

ReputationRep:
    Depends.

I would refuse to marry a Muslim.

But I'd be fine to marry anyone of any other religion as long as they don't force it on me and they don't have a very strong view on religion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.