Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs? watch

• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Katty3)
    I know quite a few Muslims, Hindus, different denominations of Christians and atheists. The Muslims, Hindus and Christians tend to ask questions about the different belief systems and how other people worship. It comes from a place of curiosity and wanting to learn about other people's beliefs. That's fine and a good thing.

A lot of the atheists tend to ask questions in either a rude and offensive manner or to try and belittle other people. It is not possible to attack, criticise or belittle my faith without personally attacking, criticising or belittling me.

The point of a wedding is to celebrate the legal union of two souls in the eyes of God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my experience you get *******s and non-*******s. I'll admit most *******s aren't religious but there's still a fair number that are. I mean I'm an atheist but I still ask questions about religions and stuff so I can try to figure it out myself

ReputationRep:
    Religion usually decides values so how can you marry someone who doesn't share your values?

ReputationRep:
    No.

I'm an atheist (with no religious beliefs) so someone with a religion would be likely to have different values, expectations and goals in life. There's a chance they would want a religious wedding and/or upbringing for any potential children; I would not be ok with that. Also, as an aspiring physics, I would not be ok with a partner whose core beliefs defy logic and science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Unlikely but based on past experiences, would never say never. I could stretch as far as high-church Anglican, realistically. Not very far beyond that (am Roman Catholic) :jebus:
    treachery :spank:

jks

:rofl:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by the bear)
    treachery :spank:

jks

:rofl:
    :eek: :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egirl127)
    What about you, just want oreos?
    Haha woah I didn’t realise this thread was still going
    But I wasn't sure really, hence why I asked the question.
    Though I’mquite young I know that the guy I am with right now is the one that I am goingto get married too, he respects my religion and he used to be religious but isn’tanymore as he believes it takes away your identity/individuals beliefs due tothe fact that most people don’t agree with every single thing in their religion.But since making this we discussed like bringing up children and things and theconclusion was that it way too far ahead in the future to worry about rn xD

ReputationRep:
    marry? no.
    date? yea (if christian or jew, perhaps even buddhist)

ReputationRep:
    Aww no, life is difficult enough without having to have arguments with the person you married whether or not your child should or should not go to a church school or be taught about Jesus
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Aww no, life is difficult enough without having to have arguments with the person you married whether or not your child should or should not go to a church school or be taught about Jesus
    There is no argument, they should be taught all religions to the same degree and make an informed decision

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    There is no argument, they should be taught all religions to the same degree and make an informed decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, because in my faith all religions are false and Jesus is the only way of getting to heaven. Why would I knowingly teach my child a belief system that in my eyes wouldn't get them into heaven?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    marry? no.
    date? yea (if christian or jew, perhaps even buddhist)
    hmm so you would date someone knowing that you are going to break up one day?
    bc in this life the outcome of a relationship is either get married or break up xD

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    who tf has the time to do that though?

you would expect schools to fulfil this role as part of basic education but all they do is talk about jesus for 11 years with a splash of sikhism...
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    Agreed:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    No, because in my faith all religions are false and Jesus is the only way of getting to heaven. Why would I knowingly teach my child a belief system that in my eyes wouldn't get them into heaven?
    Would you have wanted to grow up indoctrinated into one religion, only to get older and find yourself questioning your faith daily? I know it pissed me off and still does. I'd prefer a good relationship with my kids than teaching them to believe one specific thing which may or may not be true. I still don't get why we have to convince them all Santa's real.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you have wanted to grow up indoctrinated into one religion, only to get older and find yourself questioning your faith daily? I know it pissed me off and still does. I'd prefer a good relationship with my kids than teaching them to believe one specific thing which may or may not be true. I still don't get why we have to convince them all Santa's real.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    by we, you mean?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed again! Very well said

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    by we, you mean?
    People who aren't kids and have had that realisation

(Original post by Matrix123)
    Agreed again! Very well said

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thought you might

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought it said religious briefs. I was going to ask how you knew about my Jewish underwear.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would have rather have had my 'indoctrination' and my mothers Christian influence on my life growing up now that I have a relationship with Jesus and I'm 100% sure I'm going to heaven than to be brought up in other faith, have no assurance of where I'm going after I die and when I die, go to hell.

I wouldn't teach my kids about Santa either tbf, but then, you being an atheist, are probably now going to ask what's the difference between Jesus and Santa, aren't you

This is the point where I tell you this is why I couldn't be married to an atheist and this is why it wouldn't work out between me and an atheist

ReputationRep:
    People who aren't kids and have had that realisation

Thought you might

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well thought out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.