Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently i am in my first year of a-levels and am studying: Economics, Maths , History and Government & Politics. I hope to be studying Law at a good univeristy. So far i know that i will not be dropping Economics or Maths. History and Gov & Politics i am struggiling with. Of the two i probably prefer Gov & Politics. I know that History is the better option for law but i would like to know how much not doing it next year will hinder my chances of a good uni or if it will be okay so long as i get good grades.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by essssssssssi)
    Currently i am in my first year of a-levels and am studying: Economics, Maths , History and Government & Politics. I hope to be studying Law at a good univeristy. So far i know that i will not be dropping Economics or Maths. History and Gov & Politics i am struggiling with. Of the two i probably prefer Gov & Politics. I know that History is the better option for law but i would like to know how much not doing it next year will hinder my chances of a good uni or if it will be okay so long as i get good grades.

Thanks
    Hey there!

Seeing that you know you want to drop either Economics or Mathematics, I would suggest to drop Mathematics. This is because this subject is the least involved with a Law degree in comparison to Economics, History or Government and Politics.

However, if you feel like you are struggling with History and would like to drop that I don't think it would have a significant chance in getting into a 'good' university to study Law. Most universities don't ask for a particular subject as an entry requirement to study Law. Even a top university for Law like Durham only ask for grades as an entry requirement. Despite these entry requirement, as a personal benefit, it would be best if you drop Mathematics as History does has quite a important link to Law and will benefit you whilst studying it.

Here's a few of my revision tips I use whilst studying for History:
    • Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this
    • Condense events into 3 bullet points [Linking with the point above]
    • Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember
    • Do every single past paper question
    • Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute (number them according to the significance)
    • Time yourself when doing essays
    • Practice writing really fast
    I'm assuming you do AQA History in which you have source questions. For source questions first thing to do is read the questions before the sources, so you know what key bits of information you are looking for. I would recommend to take two highlighters in the exams. One colour for similarities and one for differences, this will make it easier for you to answer the first question on sources which is always about similarities and differences. With a pen underline the key points for the 24 marker.

Hope this helps!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.