Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, KCL, Sheffield, Glasgow, Bath

I know I can get into Sheffield and KCL since I talked with them a month ago & they said they would accept me if I went through UCAS. But they are the easiest ones to get into, so kind of like emergency cases.

I applied to all of them for their CompSci G400 or some G40X variation. This UCAS system lets me sub in a choice, so I want to put in a uni thats better than Sheffield but not as good as Bath for CompSci.

Which one should I sub out and for what uni? What would you do if you wanted to do this? Just looking for options, might not do anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepperino)
    Manchester, KCL, Sheffield, Glasgow, Bath

I know I can get into Sheffield and KCL since I talked with them a month ago & they said they would accept me if I went through UCAS. But they are the easiest ones to get into, so kind of like emergency cases.

I applied to all of them for their CompSci G400 or some G40X variation. This UCAS system lets me sub in a choice, so I want to put in a uni thats better than Sheffield but not as good as Bath for CompSci.

Which one should I sub out and for what uni? What would you do if you wanted to do this? Just looking for options, might not do anything at all.
    This is impossible for anyone to answer.

Firstly what do you mean by sub out. Have you not applied yet and looking to replace one of your options because you can only replace a uni within 7 days of applying.

Secondly what are your predicted grades as that will affect where you can apply to.

Thirdly if you are applying now you are no longer entitled to equal consideration. Many courses will be full. You need to check ucas extra to see which unis have courses available. You will then need to check that these courses still have room.

Lastly every person sees things differently. What suits one person wont suit another. There are many issues such as content of course, whether you want to study close to home, whether you want a city uni or a campus uni that only you can decide.

ReputationRep:
    Well how about this which one of these ones have the best international reputation? I want to go to the states or canada so I don't want to make it harder on myself if the employer has never heard of one of them. I know Manchester is pretty world renowned (I hope) but are the other ones?

ReputationRep:
    According to the QS tables the most internationally renowned is Kings followed by Manchester although I really wouldn't worry about that. Go to the uni that you will enjoy the most. The one where the course and environment suits you best.

There are pros and cons to this. Bath is the highest ranked in Britain. Bath is totally different to your other choices. It is about 2 miles up the hill from a small but beautiful city. The others are in very large cities. If you are looking for places like Bath you should look at Exeter, Lancaster and York. If big cities is what you are after try Bristol, Birmingham or Leeds.

The pace of life will be far greater in city universities and there will be more choice of shops and nightlife. The smaller city universities tend to be campus universities often outside of cities and will usually be greener and less built up.

You need to decided which you want then check the courses are still available and apply if you meet the appropriate entry requirements

ReputationRep:
    Alright well I got an offer from Glasgow, but really wanting an English school since they are a year less. Wait that's so weird, why are they a year less???
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Alright well I got an offer from Glasgow, but really wanting an English school since they are a year less. Wait that's so weird, why are they a year less???
    Sub out? You can't make changes to your unis unless it's within 7 days
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...making-changes

Also, the Scottish school education system (you can leave school at age 16/17 after taking Highers) means their universities have an extra year to bridge the gap between high school and university teaching. Students with A-Levels/IB/Advanced Highers skip that year (and they are a year older).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But I did just that because it is within 7 days. Why the question mark?

I'm worried though for the courses that have a year in placement I chose. I don't know how much support international students get and even if I get a UK based year long placement, would I be able to get the visa. O m g ! I'm Canadian so I wonder if us having that Elizabeth queen would help with the visa process.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

I'm worried though for the courses that have a year in placement I chose. I don't know how much support international students get and even if I get a UK based year long placement, would I be able to get the visa. O m g ! I'm Canadian so I wonder if us having that Elizabeth queen would help with the visa process.
    So you have applied late (well after the "equal consideration" deadline) so follow swanseajack1's advice about checking course availabity before doing anything!

I don't know about visa requirements (I'm sure someone else will....) but I would have thought a student placement year visa would be easier than not being a student.

ReputationRep:

Being Canadian makes no difference to the student visa process. However, if you're on a Tier 4 visa, you can complete a work placement as part of your course.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...an-you-work#RL Click on the work placement box and it will provide more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Being Canadian makes no difference to the student visa process. However, if you're on a Tier 4 visa, you can complete a work placement as part of your course.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...an-you-work#RL Click on the work placement box and it will provide more information.
    Wow nice! I'm pretty sure the Tier 4 visa is the one I would use (as a Canadian), so it's good to know I can complete a work placement. This is good news!

Now I wonder if I did the right thing by rejecting Glasgow's offer and substituting it for an application to Bath. I figured if I'm going to study for the full 4 years I'd rather do it at Edinburgh and chose the other 4 to be 3 year (or 4 with work) programs. Haven't heard anything yet from any of them though, may the force be with me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.