Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Applying next year and need help with choices. I want to study mathematics and economics, more specific financial mathematics.

My top two are:
    Warwick - Mathematics and Economic
    UCL - Mathematics and Economics

These two are harder to get into so looking at alternatives.

Realistic choices back ups.

Surrey - Financial Mathematics
    Queen Mary - Mathematics, Statistics and Financial Economics
    Loughborough - Financial Mathematics

Would be great to hear from you guys.Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    Hey all,

Applying next year and need help with choices. I want to study mathematics and economics, more specific financial mathematics.

My top two are:
    Warwick - Mathematics and EconomicUCL - Mathematics and EconomicsThese two are harder to get into so looking at alternatives.Realistic choices back ups.Surrey - Financial MathematicsQueen Mary - Mathematics, Statistics and Financial EconomicsLoughborough - Financial MathematicsWould be great to hear from you guys.Thanks
    Hey, those are interesting courses indeed! It would be easier to help you if we knew your GSCE grades plus AS/A2 subjects and predictions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    Hey, those are interesting courses indeed! It would be easier to help you if we knew your GSCE grades plus AS/A2 subjects and predictions
    I am a mature student so getting predicted grades is difficult.

I am self teaching maths and FM but I already have alevels in economics A* Bussiness Studies A* and statistics A

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    I am a mature student so getting predicted grades is difficult.

I am self teaching maths and FM but I already have alevels in economics A* Bussiness Studies A* and statistics A

Thanks
    Ok well that's a good start - so no gsce's then? although it shouldn't be an issue

As long as you get your A* in Mathematics, you have a decent chance of getting in the top two courses with a good personal statement and reference

ReputationRep:
    Ok well that's a good start - so no gsce's then? although it shouldn't be an issue

As long as you get your A* in Mathematics, you have a decent chance of getting in the top two courses with a good personal statement and reference
    I do have GCSE's but they are not fantastic. A in maths and the rest C's. It is for this reason that I have decided not to apply for LSE. The dream would really be LSE but I hear that they focus heavy on GCSE's and I dont have the time to resit my GCSE'S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    I do have GCSE's but they are not fantastic. A in maths and the rest C's. It is for this reason that I have decided not to apply for LSE. The dream would really be LSE but I hear that they focus heavy on GCSE's and I dont have the time to resit my GCSE'S
    UCL and Warwick are also keen on strong (mostly A*) GSCE's, for those competitive courses in particular. I would recommend calling the Admissions tutors and explain your situation, especially concerning GSCE's and see what they tell you - they will know best!

Btw for UCL they only have Mathematics with Economics (not a double major course): http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...economics-bsc/
    The admissions tutor contacts are on the right, and make sure you also do that for Warwick and you other courses.

Also, do you have someone to write your reference?

ReputationRep:
    UCL and Warwick are also keen on strong (mostly A*) GSCE's, for those competitive courses in particular. I would recommend calling the Admissions tutors and explain your situation, especially concerning GSCE's and see what they tell you - they will know best!

Btw for UCL they only have Mathematics with Economics (not a double major course): http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...economics-bsc/
    The admissions tutor contacts are on the right, and make sure you also do that for Warwick and you other courses
    dont think UCL care that much about them. But I do think they want you to have a C in an MFL though or you'll have to do a language course whilst there?????? ? ? ?

(I think that's right lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarunH1)
    dont think UCL care that much about them. But I do think they want you to have a C in an MFL though or you'll have to do a language course whilst there?????? ? ? ?

(I think that's right lol)
    It's not so much that they care or not, it's that a lot of the candidates will have those grades! But he has some A level grades already so it's a completely different situation.

And yeah:

English Language and Mathematics at grade C. For UK-based students, a grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet the foreign language requirement following enrolment, further details at: www.ucl.ac.uk/ug-reqs

ReputationRep:
    My father is Turkish so I can speak another language but have no formal qualification

I was looking at the LSE Finance course, now that is the course I really want to do. But my chances are 0.0000001% lol.

But as already mentioned, I do already have A-Levels and am a mature student so it could be possible. Plus my GCSE are not great because of my childhood, since changed. Not a sob story but the truth, its just very hard to put my experiences down in a personal statement without making it sound like a sob story.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.