ramie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey all,

Applying next year and need help with choices. I want to study mathematics and economics, more specific financial mathematics.

My top two are:
Warwick - Mathematics and Economic
UCL - Mathematics and Economics

These two are harder to get into so looking at alternatives.

Realistic choices back ups.

Surrey - Financial Mathematics
Queen Mary - Mathematics, Statistics and Financial Economics
Loughborough - Financial Mathematics

Would be great to hear from you guys.Thanks
Metrododo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ramie)
Hey all,

Applying next year and need help with choices. I want to study mathematics and economics, more specific financial mathematics.

My top two are:
Warwick - Mathematics and EconomicUCL - Mathematics and EconomicsThese two are harder to get into so looking at alternatives.Realistic choices back ups.Surrey - Financial MathematicsQueen Mary - Mathematics, Statistics and Financial EconomicsLoughborough - Financial MathematicsWould be great to hear from you guys.Thanks
Hey, those are interesting courses indeed! It would be easier to help you if we knew your GSCE grades plus AS/A2 subjects and predictions
ramie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Metrododo)
Hey, those are interesting courses indeed! It would be easier to help you if we knew your GSCE grades plus AS/A2 subjects and predictions
I am a mature student so getting predicted grades is difficult.

I am self teaching maths and FM but I already have alevels in economics A* Bussiness Studies A* and statistics A

Thanks
Metrododo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ramie)
I am a mature student so getting predicted grades is difficult.

I am self teaching maths and FM but I already have alevels in economics A* Bussiness Studies A* and statistics A

Thanks
Ok well that's a good start - so no gsce's then? although it shouldn't be an issue

As long as you get your A* in Mathematics, you have a decent chance of getting in the top two courses with a good personal statement and reference
ramie
Rep:
?
Ok well that's a good start - so no gsce's then? although it shouldn't be an issue

As long as you get your A* in Mathematics, you have a decent chance of getting in the top two courses with a good personal statement and reference
I do have GCSE's but they are not fantastic. A in maths and the rest C's. It is for this reason that I have decided not to apply for LSE. The dream would really be LSE but I hear that they focus heavy on GCSE's and I dont have the time to resit my GCSE'S
Metrododo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ramie)
I do have GCSE's but they are not fantastic. A in maths and the rest C's. It is for this reason that I have decided not to apply for LSE. The dream would really be LSE but I hear that they focus heavy on GCSE's and I dont have the time to resit my GCSE'S
UCL and Warwick are also keen on strong (mostly A*) GSCE's, for those competitive courses in particular. I would recommend calling the Admissions tutors and explain your situation, especially concerning GSCE's and see what they tell you - they will know best!

Btw for UCL they only have Mathematics with Economics (not a double major course): http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...economics-bsc/
The admissions tutor contacts are on the right, and make sure you also do that for Warwick and you other courses.

Also, do you have someone to write your reference?
HarunH1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UCL and Warwick are also keen on strong (mostly A*) GSCE's, for those competitive courses in particular. I would recommend calling the Admissions tutors and explain your situation, especially concerning GSCE's and see what they tell you - they will know best!

Btw for UCL they only have Mathematics with Economics (not a double major course): http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...economics-bsc/
The admissions tutor contacts are on the right, and make sure you also do that for Warwick and you other courses
dont think UCL care that much about them. But I do think they want you to have a C in an MFL though or you'll have to do a language course whilst there?????? ? ? ?

(I think that's right lol)
Metrododo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HarunH1)
dont think UCL care that much about them. But I do think they want you to have a C in an MFL though or you'll have to do a language course whilst there?????? ? ? ?

(I think that's right lol)
It's not so much that they care or not, it's that a lot of the candidates will have those grades! But he has some A level grades already so it's a completely different situation.

And yeah:

English Language and Mathematics at grade C. For UK-based students, a grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet the foreign language requirement following enrolment, further details at: www.ucl.ac.uk/ug-reqs
ramie
Rep:
?
My father is Turkish so I can speak another language but have no formal qualification

I was looking at the LSE Finance course, now that is the course I really want to do. But my chances are 0.0000001% lol.

But as already mentioned, I do already have A-Levels and am a mature student so it could be possible. Plus my GCSE are not great because of my childhood, since changed. Not a sob story but the truth, its just very hard to put my experiences down in a personal statement without making it sound like a sob story.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (133)
14.88%
I'm not sure (40)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
29.98%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.21%

Watched Threads