The Student Room Group

Stanford and IGCSE/A Levels?

So I'm currently in an IGCSE school and I know Stanford only wants the SAT I exam. However, I want to make myself more appealing (and raise my chances of getting accepted), seeing that I can't just abandon my IGCSE qualifications, will taking more AS/A levels help? I genuinely don't know how to take Subject Tests and I'm scared that it's too late for me to practice/study for them, but I do know how to study for A levels. Should I complete 2 A levels (I already finished 1 IASL in Mathematics and got an A) and submit them next to my 8 O levels (4 A*s, 1 A, and 3 pending [expected grades: 3 A*s])? Or should I just save the time and effort to study for Subject Tests? Please keep in mind that I can't really afford more than 2 A levels and that the Subject Tests are much cheaper for me to take (also I only have 11 months until I start applying). Feedback from a Stanford student would be great!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by meislure
So I'm currently in an IGCSE school and I know Stanford only wants the SAT I exam. However, I want to make myself more appealing (and raise my chances of getting accepted), seeing that I can't just abandon my IGCSE qualifications, will taking more AS/A levels help? I genuinely don't know how to take Subject Tests and I'm scared that it's too late for me to practice/study for them, but I do know how to study for A levels. Should I complete 2 A levels (I already finished 1 IASL in Mathematics and got an A) and submit them next to my 8 O levels (4 A*s, 1 A, and 3 pending [expected grades: 3 A*s])? Or should I just save the time and effort to study for Subject Tests? Please keep in mind that I can't really afford more than 2 A levels and that the Subject Tests are much cheaper for me to take (also I only have 11 months until I start applying). Feedback from a Stanford student would be great!

What the hell are you doing... 8 O-Levels AND doing IGCSE? Only 2 A-Levels? If you want to go to Stranford than at least research and be smart.
Typically for a university you need 3 A-Levels in elite university its usually 4 AS-Level and 3 A-Level but due to reforms its moving to just 3 A-Levels.
Grades are everything in joining top school/university or whatever your applying to, real life skills will be needed. Grades without logical sense and research skills isn't good.
Reply 2
Original post by ckfeister
What the hell are you doing... 8 O-Levels AND doing IGCSE? Only 2 A-Levels? If you want to go to Stranford than at least research and be smart.
Typically for a university you need 3 A-Levels in elite university its usually 4 AS-Level and 3 A-Level but due to reforms its moving to just 3 A-Levels.
Grades are everything in joining top school/university or whatever your applying to, real life skills will be needed. Grades without logical sense and research skills isn't good.

Hey don't jump to conclusions, the O levels are IGCSE O levels. I didn't plan on the Stanford thing until now and I only have 2 more sessions to go at school. My school MAKES ME take 5 IGCSE O levels (no more, no less) in Year 10. Then they let us take whatever we want to take in the following 4 sessions, which is a pretty dumb system. Plus, Egypt isn't exactly overflowing with counsellors and by the time I got to conclude that I wasn't going to stay in Egypt (requirements are 8 IGCSE O levels and 1 ASL) AND that universities abroad needed an immense amount of A levels, I'd already gone 2 and a half sessions through. I didn't exactly plan this since Year 9 (I wish I had, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS GOING BACK TO THE US), and I'm not dumb either. I started planning this entire thing after I'd already finished 6 IGCSE O levels (4 A*s, 1 A, and 1 that I'll have to retake due to a mishap with the British Council) and an ASL in Mathematics. Now in Egypt, taking an A level costs A LOT, because not everyone's going abroad and not too many universities require them. Emphasis on the fact that I LIVE IN EGYPT, and it's already a dumb shithole so I had to figure all this out by myself. Oh, and FYI Stanford isn't all about grades, because the essays matter just as much. If I do submit all A*s on my IGCSEs, and 2 A*s in my A levels, along with a good SAT I score and maybe a Subject Test in Math, that should be enough. They clearly state that they only need the grades/subjects that fulfil the requirements in MY country which is naturally 8 IGCSE O levels (+ 1ASL OR 2 ASLs OR 1 AL OR 2 ALs [depends on the university]), the one I'd decided to go here only required 1 AS so I was pretty much just following their plan, until I discovered that I was 80% going back to the US. I just need feedback from someone who's taken the Subject Tests and would recommend them more than the A levels, since I do need the cheaper alternative (and the ones I could finish in less than 12 months).
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey don't jump to conclusions, the O levels are IGCSE O levels. I didn't plan on the Stanford thing until now and I only have 2 more sessions to go at school. My school MAKES ME take 5 IGCSE O levels (no more, no less) in Year 10. Then they let us take whatever we want to take in the following 4 sessions, which is a pretty dumb system. Plus, Egypt isn't exactly overflowing with counsellors and by the time I got to conclude that I wasn't going to stay in Egypt (requirements are 8 IGCSE O levels and 1 ASL) AND that universities abroad needed an immense amount of A levels, I'd already gone 2 and a half sessions through. I didn't exactly plan this since Year 9 (I wish I had, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS GOING BACK TO THE US), and I'm not dumb either. I started planning this entire thing after I'd already finished 6 IGCSE O levels (4 A*s, 1 A, and 1 that I'll have to retake due to a mishap with the British Council) and an ASL in Mathematics. Now in Egypt, taking an A level costs A LOT, because not everyone's going abroad and not too many universities require them. Emphasis on the fact that I LIVE IN EGYPT, and it's already a dumb shithole so I had to figure all this out by myself. Oh, and FYI Stanford isn't all about grades, because the essays matter just as much. If I do submit all A*s on my IGCSEs, and 2 A*s in my A levels, along with a good SAT I score and maybe a Subject Test in Math, that should be enough. They clearly state that they only need the grades/subjects that fulfil the requirements in MY country which is naturally 8 IGCSE O levels (+ 1ASL OR 2 ASLs OR 1 AL OR 2 ALs [depends on the university]), the one I'd decided to go here only required 1 AS so I was pretty much just following their plan, until I discovered that I was 80% going back to the US. I just need feedback from someone who's taken the Subject Tests and would recommend them more than the A levels, since I do need the cheaper alternative (and the ones I could finish in less than 12 months).

In order to go to a British university, you need 3 A-Levels (in the same academic years), IGCSEs aren't really looked at but in places like oxford will. Good look getting out of Egypt... I'd hate to live there.

Also, look around for international student loans as well as foundation years, they bring international top students upto UK level.
Reply 4
In order to go to a British university, you need 3 A-Levels (in the same academic years), IGCSEs aren't really looked at but in places like oxford will. Good look getting out of Egypt... I'd hate to live there.

Also, look around for international student loans as well as foundation years, they bring international top students upto UK level.

Oh I know that but I don't want to apply to a British university, I'm a US citizen so getting into an American university would be more convenient for me and my family.

That's why I'm stuck. I planned on taking the requirements needed for a university in Egypt, and did follow through (without at all considering the fact that I'd apply to a university in the US), until things took an unexpected twist and now I have to upgrade my qualifications in less than 11 months whether it's by taking A levels or Subject Tests.

Is it even possible to finish an A2 and 2 relatively easy A levels in 11 months?
Oh I know that but I don't want to apply to a British university, I'm a US citizen so getting into an American university would be more convenient for me and my family.

That's why I'm stuck. I planned on taking the requirements needed for a university in Egypt, and did follow through (without at all considering the fact that I'd apply to a university in the US), until things took an unexpected twist and now I have to upgrade my qualifications in less than 11 months whether it's by taking A levels or Subject Tests.

Is it even possible to finish an A2 and 2 relatively easy A levels in 11 months?

A ton of pressure, also GCSE/O-Level is UK sub-forum go to university topic then North America.
Reply 6
A ton of pressure, also GCSE/O-Level is UK sub-forum go to university topic then North America.

Oh alright, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest