Turn on thread page Beta

Jehovas Witnesses' should they be banned? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3573721.stm

what are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    its called freedom of speach... if these people want to go around getting doors slammed in their face, its up to them.

- russia isn't particuarly famous for its leniancy towards this freedom.

ReputationRep:
    A Russian law from 1997 recognises only four traditional religions - Orthodoxy, Judaism, Buddhism and Islam.
    How progressive is that?

ReputationRep:
    wonderful... who says democracy is dead :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    wonderful... who says democracy is dead :rolleyes:
    Callinf Russia democratic is petty hard as well.

ReputationRep:
    No matter how annoying they can be, it is admirable how devoted they are to their religion. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yet another clash between two faiths of Christianity.

No they should not be banned and might well have to change it if they actually want to enter the EU by when ever it is I read some time ago.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wonder on the day of judgement who is guna be right and enter heaven, and the other faiths are goin to hell! - my bets on the Jedi's :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Or do what Albania did. Become the first athiest state.

But then again I am not surprised at this. Russia have gone a bit funny in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    it's been banned for ages in Singapore....
    some woman went to jail for having been found with a Witness bible and stuff.
    but then again they ban everything anyway so no surprise there.

ReputationRep:
    they should make it illegal to go round people doors and try to convince people to change religion. thats wrong
    but they should let people believe in whatever religion as they please as long as they arent affecting others ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    A Russian law from 1997 recognises only four traditional religions - Orthodoxy, Judaism, Buddhism and Islam.
    How progressive is that?
    I should have thought that four was more than enough to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Or do what Albania did. Become the first athiest state.
    And erect statues of Enver Hoger (sp?) Real nice guy. Much nicer than Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be banned people should have the freedom to practice their religion in any country. They don't but they should have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    It shouldn't be banned people should have the freedom to practice their religion in any country. They don't but they should have
    well the jews never had one! time will tell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    well the jews never had one! time will tell!
    Never had a freedom to practice their religion?

ReputationRep:
    they should make it illegal to go round people doors and try to convince people to change religion. thats wrong
    illegal? sounds like a measure from the Politburo...

ReputationRep:
    The thing that always botherd me was after watching some tv detective programme (might of been a touch of frost) where there was a little boy whose parents were Jehovas Witnesses and becasue of their religion they would not let the hospital give him the blood transfusion he needed to survive.

I dont know whether this has happened but do you think the state should have the power to step in and prevent this from happening - is an outright ban not merely an extension of this?

Im confused - as I think banning someones religion is wrong, but at the same time some of their beliefs are harmful not only to those who chose the religion but to their children as well. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    The thing that always botherd me was after watching some tv detective programme (might of been a touch of frost) where there was a little boy whose parents were Jehovas Witnesses and becasue of their religion they would not let the hospital give him the blood transfusion he needed to survive.

I dont know whether this has happened but do you think the state should have the power to step in and prevent this from happening - is an outright ban not merely an extension of this?

Im confused - as I think banning someones religion is wrong, but at the same time some of their beliefs are harmful not only to those who chose the religion but to their children as well. :confused:
    There was a Family of Johovas witnesses a few years back whos younge child needed a blood transfusion. The parents refused and it was take above their heads and the child go the transfusion. I think this is the right thing because below a cirtain age it is the parents decision and not the childs and I don't think the parent should have the right to sentance their child to death.

ReputationRep:
    but they should let people believe in whatever religion as they please as long as they arent affecting others ...
    If your house was on fire and you didn't know it, would it be illegal for someone who saw it 2 knock on ur door n save ur life?! Think before u talk!! Illegal is a strong word 4 someone who dosen't even have a correct knowlege of the topic!! Everyone here is talking without proper knowlege!!!! I call em as I see em!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.