Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    While teachers get 1% rise a year for 10 years (2010-2020) everyone else gets 2-3% rise, while teachers have heavier workload at the start they work at BELOW average salary. Plus the way teachers are treated in schools.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you like doing. I know some people that want to be teachers despite the salary...
    I personally could never be a teacher though.

ReputationRep:
    When the economy is doing well teaching looks piss poor compared to the private sector. During the financial crash though it was good because you were still getting (granted very small) pay rises while many people were being sacked.

If there is another recession in a couple of years that 1% might look pretty good. Either way teaching - at least in the UK - is one of those jobs which is considered a vocation/calling that is you're doing it beyond financial reasons.

You could after a couple of years go to a private sector job in another country and get very well paid....

ReputationRep:
    In some parts of the country it is one of the few decently-paid jobs still around.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on you whether you enjoy it or not. You have to be a strong person and assertive just because of how teenagers are in most secondary schools. I personally think it's a great career choice I love making a difference to pupils lives and the feeling of satisfaction I get when I know I've helped a student learn something. Btw I'm not an actual teacher I work in Maths intervention.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't go into teaching for the money.

High workload and being treated badly can happen in any job, not just teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    While teachers get 1% rise a year for 10 years (2010-2020) everyone else gets 2-3% rise, while teachers have heavier workload at the start they work at BELOW average salary. Plus the way teachers are treated in schools.
    Well it is still a stable job. No matter what the economy is like there will always be a need for teachers.
    Plus I know it is clicheè and been said before but if you are in it for only the money then it won't be worth your while. And from what I have seen you will probably won't even get through the PGCE/QTS because you have to have that drive and really wanto to teach to stand even a chance of getting through the training successfully.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. My pay is awful and definitely doesn't reflect on the stress and workload I have. If I was on a normal salary I wouldn't mind though.

It's worth it in the sense that I remember I could be sat in a boring office job feeling sick about going in. I don't get that feeling and I have a lot of fun sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Meh. My pay is awful and definitely doesn't reflect on the stress and workload I have. If I was on a normal salary I wouldn't mind though.

It's worth it in the sense that I remember I could be sat in a boring office job feeling sick about going in. I don't get that feeling and I have a lot of fun sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with this. Btw how much do you get paid after tax?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabana)
    I agree with this. Btw how much do you get paid after tax?
    I'm part time and hourly paid. I haven't paid any tax yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.