Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In what circumstances do we apologise for somebody else's actions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I recently attended my university's annual Maths Society Ball where my ex carried out an act of preplanned maliciousness so unspeakably horrible that three of the friends she was going out with came up to me in turn straight after looking really shocked and saying how very, very sorry they were for what had happened, asking whether I was going to be alright and whether there was anybody else at the ball I knew who I could spend the evening with.

It's not my intention to discuss this event right now specifically - it's still too soon and still hurts too much; I don't want to think about it again just yet.

But this got me thinking - what are the circumstances which necessitate an apology on another's behalf, as these three friends of my ex did despite having had no part in her plan? Clearly it was an entirely spontaneous apology from the heart and it's never going to be anything more than that. Maybe it's also in part a distancing - trying to say that we weren't involved in this and wouldn't have taken part in it even if we'd know. Or maybe it's just shock and horror, perhaps even as far as disgust.

What do you think can cause this? When does an action cross the line and where is the point you would apologise on someone else's behalf for something you weren't involved in?

ReputationRep:
    I would never apologise on behalf of someone, it is a meaningless gesture of trying to absolve ones self of perceived guilt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Slavery.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Truths)
    Slavery.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/hey-v12n5

More whites have been slaves than blacks, by a very large margin. Also, whites ended slavery before blacks did. #Hatefacts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/hey-v12n5

More whites have been slaves than blacks, by a very large margin. Also, whites ended slavery before blacks did. #Hatefacts
    Why are you bring up race? Stop race baiting.

ReputationRep:
    Starts with race baiting.

Complains about race baiting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Starts with race baiting.

Complains about race baiting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said nothing about race. He's the one who brought it up. SJWs want to see race in everything :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I said nothing about race. He's the one who brought it up. SJWs want to see race in everything :facepalm2:
    You didn't need to mention race, I know your posting habits.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't need to mention race, I know your posting habits.
    AKA you jumped the gun and you're still wrong :lol:

ReputationRep:
    AKA you jumped the gun and you're still wrong :lol:
    So you didn't mean the atlantic slave trade, very odd for you.

ReputationRep:
    So you didn't mean the atlantic slave trade, very odd for you.
    I meant what I said.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to read between the lines when there isn't even a line to begin with. Just a single word. Y'all crack me up :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You started race baiting.... I know you don't like facts but there we go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    You started race baiting.... I know you don't like facts but there we go.
    You made it into a race thing not me. Smh.

ReputationRep:
    I would never apologise on behalf of another able minded adult but if I were one of her friends and she had one something to hurt someone, I would have gone up to them to make sure they're OK

ReputationRep:
    I would apologise for someone else's actions if I could reasonably have been expected to take some precaution to prevent those actions. For example, if my dog bites someone, or if my child pees on someone's carpet, I would apologise.

ReputationRep:
    If someone screws up, they should deal with the consequences. I refuse to apologise for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    When you're representing someone else, or they're representing you. A spokesperson for an organisation could apologise publicly on behalf of the organisation. The organisation could also apologise on behalf of an employee. A parent could apologise for a child's behaviour.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.