Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I'm a EU citizen, in my 40s, degree in Biology (grade 2:1), still living in my town in north-Italy.
    I left a well paid job in order to move to UK with my English wife and try to get into teaching, an idea we've had for some years.

Already had my titles compared, passed the IELTS test with the overall score of 7.
    Passed both the professional skills tests at the first trial.
    Applied for teacher training through UCAS on 28th October.

My character is open and I'd define myself and I've been defined as a "likeable person", in my previous job I frequently used to speak proficiently in front of a numerous audience (sorry for self-praising). I'm an amateur musician and a sporty person, I love life.

...all this premise to arrive to the subject:
    I've already been rejected by two Providers after the interview and a third rejection is on the way, probably without even being offered the interview (they have cut all the communication even if I continue emailing them and trying to call).
    Both the interview days I had left with the feeling that it went really well, but I was obviously wrong.
    Had to switch to apply2 fase (one single Provider a time): the meeting with the last Provider teacher training coordinator we nicely talked for about an hour and emailed for the next couple of weeks arranging some lesson observation before they started ignoring my contacts...my candidacy through UCAS will automatically expire in 6 days...

Never had any run-ins with the law, nor anything to hide or feel ashamed of in my life.

What's the matter?

As per title: why am I so unwelcome?

Please help me

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting no feedback from the people who ran the interview? That's the vital information.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear you've encountered these problems. It really does not sound like there shouldn't be any reasonable cause for it. Would you mind me inquiring whether or not you already have arrangements in place to pay the course fees? It could be a problem relating to funding - universities here are notorious for raking in the most profit they can I'm afraid!

It might be worth pestering the institutions that have sent you rejections (barring the one that isn't replying) - they might change their minds. Hope you get it sorted!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I feel for you as I am in my 40s and making a career change too. If you are able to ask for feedback about what you could do to improve your chances next time that could help.

As a prospective science teacher you should be able to get one to one advice from a premier plus adviser (I did and he was very helpful). Have a look at the link below https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/premier-plus
    You sound like you would make a great teacher. Don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    Are you getting no feedback from the people who ran the interview? That's the vital information.
    Yes (...I didn't write these details in the first post otherwise it would have been far too long)

In the first interview I've been told that, even if in the interview I've answered very professionally, in the teaching activity (the short 20 mins lesson) I talked at length and quickly to the students,
    who were not all engaged in the lesson, found it difficult to follow at times and were not all clear on what was expected from them.

They were a class of around 15 students, 11years old, I had entitled the short lesson "the memory of the numbers" (I had applied for Maths) and it was about probability, precisely the probability of an event to happen again after a sequence of positive outcomes (I was sure they already knew about probability, from my lessons observation of the weeks before).
    I didn't agree at all with this feedback because I felt that they were totally hooked by the way we developed the subject.

after quickly introducing myself I gave the definition of probability being sure that they were with me (many positive answers to the questions), then I showed a short video from the film "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead", where the two protagonists toss a coin...after a sequence of 3 heads I stopped the video and asked who wanted to guess what was next...ALL hands up, therefore I said "let's have a survey", went to the board, drawn a line, and recorded everyone's answer...3 said next would have been Heads, 12 said Tails...from here I went into detail.
    I promise, they absolutely loved it (I still get emotional thinking about it)...I had so many questions to answer, from almost all of them, that I was sorry and I've seen them sorry we had to conclude it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StatRosaPristina)
    Hello everyone

I'm a EU citizen, in my 40s, degree in Biology (grade 2:1), still living in my town in north-Italy.
    I left a well paid job in order to move to UK with my English wife and try to get into teaching, an idea we've had for some years.

Already had my titles compared, passed the IELTS test with the overall score of 7.
    Passed both the professional skills tests at the first trial.
    Applied for teacher training through UCAS on 28th October.

My character is open and I'd define myself and I've been defined as a "likeable person", in my previous job I frequently used to speak proficiently in front of a numerous audience (sorry for self-praising). I'm an amateur musician and a sporty person, I love life.

...all this premise to arrive to the subject:
    I've already been rejected by two Providers after the interview and a third rejection is on the way, probably without even being offered the interview (they have cut all the communication even if I continue emailing them and trying to call).
    Both the interview days I had left with the feeling that it went really well, but I was obviously wrong.
    Had to switch to apply2 fase (one single Provider a time): the meeting with the last Provider teacher training coordinator we nicely talked for about an hour and emailed for the next couple of weeks arranging some lesson observation before they started ignoring my contacts...my candidacy through UCAS will automatically expire in 6 days...

Never had any run-ins with the law, nor anything to hide or feel ashamed of in my life.

What's the matter?

As per title: why am I so unwelcome?

Please help me
    maybe too many biologists at present in the system?

ReputationRep:
    Yes (...I didn't write these details in the first post otherwise it would have been far too long)

In the first interview I've been told that, even if in the interview I've answered very professionally, in the teaching activity (the short 20 mins lesson) I talked at length and quickly to the students,
    who were not all engaged in the lesson, found it difficult to follow at times and were not all clear on what was expected from them.

They were a class of around 15 students, 11years old, I had entitled the short lesson "the memory of the numbers" (I had applied for Maths) and it was about probability, precisely the probability of an event to happen again after a sequence of positive outcomes (I was sure they already knew about probability, from my lessons observation of the weeks before).
    I didn't agree at all with this feedback because I felt that they were totally hooked by the way we developed the subject.

after quickly introducing myself I gave the definition of probability being sure that they were with me (many positive answers to the questions), then I showed a short video from the film "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead", where the two protagonists toss a coin...after a sequence of 3 heads I stopped the video and asked who wanted to guess what was next...ALL hands up, therefore I said "let's have a survey", went to the board, drawn a line, and recorded everyone's answer...3 said next would have been Heads, 12 said Tails...from here I went into detail.
    I promise, they absolutely loved it (I still get emotional thinking about it)...I had so many questions to answer, from almost all of them, that I was sorry and I've seen them sorry we had to conclude it...

I am very shocked but sorry to hear this. This doesn't sound fair as to what has happened to you, as you are clearly a confident person who has the desire to aspire to become a teacher, also, you have passed everything you needed to do in order to get onto your course.

I am at university studying to become a primary school teacher and when I had my interviews last year, they understand that you are not going to be 100% like a teacher in ur interview. But interviews are there to see your passion for teaching and also that you are confident and clear about what is expected off you,

Maybe you should try and ask them to send you feedback as to why you were unsuccessful, and pinpoint exactly where you got wrong with your interview. Try calling them, and tell them your UCAS will end in 6 days so if possible you need to know with 6days. If it helps, keep repeating that you have passed all your skills test and you have come all the way to the UK for this opportunity and a change in jobs.

Also- no one has the right to discriminate you because of your AGE, religion, sexuality e.t.c!!! Also on my course, we range from the ages of 18 all the way to people in their early 40s- so it shouldn't make a difference about your age.

P.S. IF, JUST incase things don't go to plan-- you can always try to get into teaching via a different route. Such as a college or PGCE top up or school direct.
    But as a trainee teacher, I really HOPE something positive will happen and you will get into this profession and you hoped!

Good luck and sorry for writing soo much but I feel for your situation

Ropa

ReputationRep:
    To start answering some of the points:

(Original post by Des_Lumières)
    ... Would you mind me inquiring whether or not you already have arrangements in place to pay the course fees? It could be a problem relating to funding - universities here are notorious for raking in the most profit they can I'm afraid!
    I'll open a bank account and transfer money as soon as I'll move (in a week time) but no, at the moment I've no proof in UK that I could pay... (interesting point)

(Original post by VelmaStaplebot)
    Hi,
    ...As a prospective science teacher you should be able to get one to one advice from a premier plus adviser (I did and he was very helpful). Have a look at the link below https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/premier-plus
    You sound like you would make a great teacher. Don't give up!
    thank you for the tip, I'll definitely have a look...and thanks for the nice words

(Original post by TeeEm)
    maybe too many biologists at present in the system?
    The opposite, there's lack of science and even more of maths teachers

(Original post by Ropa:))
    ...Maybe you should try and ask them to send you feedback as to why you were unsuccessful, and pinpoint exactly where you got wrong with your interview.
    Ropa
    Done it, after telling them my feelings (as I've told you here) about the lesson at the base of my rejection. I've been answered that my interview (not just the lesson) hadn't been that good either as I had shown little knowledge of the UK school system (I agree), and during the lesson I had interrupted a pupil speaking (true, he was answering for the third time in a row to a general question...stopped him saying "Sorry for interrupting, but I'd like to hear someone else") and finally I had looked at my watch when a pupil was talking (true, I had glanced at it when the person judging me had raised the hand to indicate to me that we had two minutes left...time had flown by).

I came out from this first experience with a bitter feeling....but then I had the second interview with the second provider...after failing it I had to cope with the painful idea that it is my fault (I would be stupid if I would really believe I've been cheated twice in a row)...

ReputationRep:
    . I've been answered that my interview (not just the lesson) hadn't been that good either as I had shown little knowledge of the UK school system (I agree), and during the lesson I had interrupted a pupil speaking (true, he was answering for the third time in a row to a general question...stopped him saying "Sorry for interrupting, but I'd like to hear someone else" and finally I had looked at my watch when a pupil was talking (true, I had glanced at it when the person judging me had raised the hand to indicate to me that we had two minutes left...time had flown by).

I came out from this first experience with a bitter feeling....but then I had the second interview with the second provider...after failing it I had to cope with the painful idea that it is my fault (I would be stupid if I would really believe I've been cheated twice in a row)...
    I'm going to take this point by point:
    -Knowledge of UK system. Totally understandable - I mean, how much do they (or I) know about the Italian system?? But the UK system is its own creature. It has a lot of idiosyncrasies and changes frequently. If you are serious about becoming a teacher you need to seem like you're at least aware of this. Read up on current issues so you seem keen at your next interview (e.g. take at least a weekly look at the TES or Guardian Education, subscribe to some education blogs/twitters). Try and get into some schools to help out and observe. Ask teachers about things that seem strange/different compared to what you're used to.

-Interview lesson - you're going to find throughout your training that you get a lot of feedback both good and bad. A lot of importance is placed on being reflective - that means not just disagreeing with their criticisms outright but seeming to take their comments on board. A poor interview lesson could still be salvaged if you say you noticed what went wrong, and most importantly, how you'd improve it next time.

-2 rejections. Hey, that's nothing. I had THREE rejections, two of those I was turned down without so much as an interview. It was only with the fourth that I was finally accepted. Maybe you just haven't found the right fit yet?

-Bitter feeling - again understandable, but try to let it go if possible. A positive and resilient outlook is the only way to survive in education (and believe me I struggle!)

ReputationRep:
    From briefly skimming it seems like you're not doing too well in your mini-lessons.

Students are the toughest critics and they will be quizzed after you leave by your providers. Maths isn't fun to kids, it's your task to make it exciting, colourful, with games and glitter and things to get their attention. (maybe not glitter)

Are you using age-appropriate language? Are you doing age-appropriate tasks? Are you moving around or stuck in one place? Are you asking questions to check understanding before you move on? Are you enthusiastic yourself? (it's contagious). Are you confident about your safeguarding knowledge? (question will 100% come up)

Here's a link to some questions they could ask in interview to prepare you (https://targetpostgrad.com/subjects/...acher-training)

Secondly, have you had any school experience? (Voluntary or paid) They usually require 10 days and it'll give an insight into how to 'talk to' kids in a teacher way. Is your degree relevant? I know a lot of courses want a minimum of 50% of your degree relative to the PGCE you want to study.

Finally, there's a FB group you can join where loads of Trainee Teachers discuss/share resources and support each other. Take your question there and you may get more response. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/559570350888011/)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but maybe getting some work experience in UK schools would help. Sometimes, they just really want to see, that you already got a UK experience, instead of taking someone totally new to the country.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all, taking everything on board

I still cannot explain why I'm not welcome from the last Provider, why after a positive approach (as I wrote in my first post) have they disappeared, even if they told me they are desperate for science teachers?

Some more details about this contact:
    As already said, I've met the coordinator, good contact, we talked about my 2 previous trials (trying to analyse together the reasons of the failures, I've asked if the fact of being still domiciled in Italy might be an handicap...I've been aswered "No way")...
    I've left with their maximum disponibility (exchanged personal numbers for direct contact). Applied on 20th January, this time for Biology (my degree, thinking it might be easier to get a place), UCAS site says that my application will automatically expire on 15th March.
    ...after my application we emailed and phoned nicely, organising my visit to their main school, I was waiting for a contact about an eventual interview...
    ...not heard from anyone for two weeks I emailed (with cc all the three addresses I had: the coordinator - the headmaster of the lead school for biology - the viceheadmaster) to have news: no answer.
    Tried to call: no answer.
    Waited one more week and emailed: no answer.
    Tried to call for 4 days running and left message...no answer
    Written a last email: I've received an answer...by mistake...the headmaster writes to the coordinator (sent to me by mistake) saying that they will have to reject my application because there's no more time (!), plus I still live in Italy (!).
    I've redirected this email to the coordinator (the original recipient) saying that if the problem was just the timing I could reapply with them once expired the application: no answer

...any clue?

Thank you again for all the answers, it makes me feel less lonely 😉

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.