The Student Room Group

My teachers are never there?

So I go to a comprehensive 6th form, and my teachers are forever cancelling my lessons or cutting them short. I would say for at least half my subjects it's just either reading from the PowerPoint or from a textbook which is dull and counter productive. My lessons are spread out ridiculously so some days I only have a lesson one (8.30) and a lesson 5 (2.00). Surely other schools aren't this disorganised?
Original post by espicton98
So I go to a comprehensive 6th form, and my teachers are forever cancelling my lessons or cutting them short. I would say for at least half my subjects it's just either reading from the PowerPoint or from a textbook which is dull and counter productive. My lessons are spread out ridiculously so some days I only have a lesson one (8.30) and a lesson 5 (2.00). Surely other schools aren't this disorganised?

hey!
Gosh that does sound disorganised :frown:
I guess the only way you would get it sorted is:

1) make a complaint
2) get your classmates and all of you complain to either - form tutor / head of department/ head of year / headteacher / or student union... (ours haven't achieved anything yet apart from make admin unblock facebook and snapchat, but have reblocked the student room... :frown: ) but you could always complain to them or set up a petition if other students also have no teachers...
3) get your parents involved

I would ask your teacher to email you the PowerPoint(s) you would have been using in lessons, really they should be emailing the students they are teaching to let them know they are going to be a no-show, so then you don't have to waste your time going to an empty classroom - especially if they are cancelling them.

mind if I ask which year you're in & how long has this been going on for? The tutors get paid for you to get the best grades you can get at AS/A Level, although you could also argue you are meant to be independently studying for them... On the other hand, there have been A LOT of colds going round lately - all of our teachers at our sixth form have got them!!

I would suggest downloading the specification for each subject which you are doing, and printing it off. There you will be able to see which topics you are doing. Perhaps during your large free lesson gap, you should go to your sixth forms library and plan your own lessons so at least you won't fall behind in the mean time? :wink:
Go speak to the head of department (however usually they are close friends) So what I did once was go to the Head of the whole school/college/university seems to work better.
Reply 3
Original post by bizzy_penguin
hey!
Gosh that does sound disorganised :frown:
I guess the only way you would get it sorted is:

1) make a complaint
2) get your classmates and all of you complain to either - form tutor / head of department/ head of year / headteacher / or student union... (ours haven't achieved anything yet apart from make admin unblock facebook and snapchat, but have reblocked the student room... :frown: ) but you could always complain to them or set up a petition if other students also have no teachers...
3) get your parents involved

I would ask your teacher to email you the PowerPoint(s) you would have been using in lessons, really they should be emailing the students they are teaching to let them know they are going to be a no-show, so then you don't have to waste your time going to an empty classroom - especially if they are cancelling them.

mind if I ask which year you're in & how long has this been going on for? The tutors get paid for you to get the best grades you can get at AS/A Level, although you could also argue you are meant to be independently studying for them... On the other hand, there have been A LOT of colds going round lately - all of our teachers at our sixth form have got them!!

I would suggest downloading the specification for each subject which you are doing, and printing it off. There you will be able to see which topics you are doing. Perhaps during your large free lesson gap, you should go to your sixth forms library and plan your own lessons so at least you won't fall behind in the mean time? :wink:

this has been going on since around Octoberish time! no they don't email they just don't show, which is annoying as it breaks up your day when you could be elsewhere. I'm year 12, glad I'm not alone though!
Make a complaint about them.

I've had similar problems before in college when I first joined, one teacher was forever cancelling, and I've had some teachers not show up and not e-mail so I've ended up travelling to a subject and nothing being left for us to work on anyway. Some of the students in the classes made complaints and then it stopped happening, even one teacher got changed because he admitted his timetable was too much to take our class on.
Original post by espicton98
this has been going on since around Octoberish time! no they don't email they just don't show, which is annoying as it breaks up your day when you could be elsewhere. I'm year 12, glad I'm not alone though!

:s-smilie: ouch - i think you should definitely report it - you realise they probably still get paid even if they don't turn up! Do you have compulsory form / tutor groups in the morning that you have to attend? if not, and your morning lessons are likely to be cancelled don't go / stay at home and get work done there / or go to library / common room instead and get some work done :smile:

Report it to your form tutor / head of department / head of year / head teacher and they will (should) be able to sort it out. it seems v. bad that the teacher cannot even notify the class prior to being absent that they won't be there - even if its a notice on the door, or them leaving work for students in the classroom (e.g. in our 6th form there's a noticeboard outside the admin office, and where there's a class where the tutor isn't there its up there so we know their not turning up) - or provide a solution such as get your tutor to collect each and every students email so they can contact the class if they aren't showing up.

If they ignore your complaint get your parents involved / make a petition / contact the schools local LEA / or if they don't listen at all report to OFSTED or threaten them with it - seems drastic but i don't see how you can learn the content if your teachers aren't turning up :frown:

in the mean time use your textbook (most of this will probably have the content in :wink:) use the spec, and find out past papers so at least you can practice them download assessors reports etc as exams are nearly here so its vital you get some practice in - which subjects are you doing btw? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest