Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you report someone you saw cheating in exams? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you report someone you saw cheating in exams?
    Yes
    31.12%
    No
    68.88%

ReputationRep:
    I reported one of my classmates two years ago (GCSE) to the Head of Senior School. That was one of the most nerve wracking experience ever. I literally felt like throwing up with the fear of ****ing this person's life up and the feeling of guilt from going against my sense of justice. I reported in the end because he's always had the tendency to cheat in every test and mock exam. I knew he was going to get caught at some point in life, and it might carry serious consequences that might potentially ruin his career fully. As a friend then, I thought it was best for him to be caught at GCSE and learn the lesson, when it is not as important and 16 year olds are seen less responsible than university students or adults in the working world.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to report them but...I don't really know how to give all the details and who to.
    PLUS I got my own exams to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    I am a firmer believer in taking risks to possibly gain a high reward.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, obviously.

What's wrong with you people? It's not 'their choice' and it's pretty much the polar opposite of 'fair enough'.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't even notice tbh, would be too busy with my own exam.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a grass.

ReputationRep:
    I would be furious that someone could commit such a disgraceful thing and then try and take the reward from it. However, would I grass? Hell no. Why- it is not my life but any respect I may have had for this person would be forever gone.

ReputationRep:
    this is whats wrong with the youth of today. no bottle or conviction, pass the buck on etc

ReputationRep:
    I'd make a scene in that exam hall... Ain't no ***** getting a higher mark than me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    7/10 kids don't understand grade boundaries. FFS, you're lowering your own grade.

Someone is literally stealing your UMS from you and you're like "hey, that's their choice, they'll get theirs one day!"

Even if YOU'RE cheating or think it's ok, that means you look out for yourself, which means you report them at least for your own good.

ReputationRep:
    I would. You want a good grade? Then study. This whole cheating thing is an annoyance because some of us work our asses off for the grades that cheaters achieve dishonestly.

ReputationRep:
    If it was a proper GCSE or A-Level exam, then I wouldn't. I'd think reporting them doesn't benefit me in any way, and it only harms them, so what's the point? Although if it were just an ordinary class test and I was competing with the rest of them for the highest marks, then perhaps I would.

ReputationRep:
    Snitches get stitches

ReputationRep:
    I didn't learn much in school but not to grass on people was one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'd think reporting them doesn't benefit me in any way, and it only harms them
    - Their high marks create tougher grade boundaries, meaning your A might now be a B

- Their exceedingly high grade and score means they (or as a knock-on effect, someone below them) get the uni place or job rather than you.

- They spend the rest of their life cheating or other underhanded tactics to get ahead, affecting others' careers and livelihoods.

ReputationRep:
    For those saying about grade boundries - surely one or two people won't make a difference. I can't catch everyone cheating in all the schools.

ReputationRep:
    Having taught, i'm probably more sensitive to this than someone who has not. Cheaters often 'skew' the grade distribution, by introducing an artificially high number. This can have the effect of depressing other people's grades. If someone, who would have honestly gotten a 50, cheats and gets a 97, whoever is calculating the grades could move the "breakpoints" so that a 78, which might have been a "B" is reduced to a "C". This is unfair to all, it can affect the entire class. In addition, if the student in question is earning a degree that has impact on the rest of us - such as mechanical engineering - an unqualified graduate could wind up designing your aircraft or train line, that you're riding on. If he/she fowls up the job, your life could be at risk. Numerous structural failures have occurred because the people doing the design work were not qualified. Cheating is totally UN-necessary anyway. A mate of mine (in grad school) once remarked, with perfect accuracy, "If you walk into an exam, and are surprised at ANY question on the exam, you are NOT doing it right"!! If you're being a student properly, you should have already predicted all of the questions on the exam, and been correct on at least 85% of them. You do this by keeping track of how long the prof spends on each "topic" and how much work they go to when they discuss it. Viewgraphs rate higher than just talking about it. Cheers, and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be quite satisfying to know that they didn't get away with it, but it wouldn't be worth the effort of reporting them, especially to teachers who would see me as a ratty little snitch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Well these replies are refreshing, going by the replies on the other thread I thought we'd become a nation of snakes and goody two shoes.
    PRSOM.

i rate u rn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    - Their high marks create tougher grade boundaries, meaning your A might now be a B

- Their exceedingly high grade and score means they (or as a knock-on effect, someone below them) get the uni place or job rather than you.
    I doubt it, given that it's only one person, and given that (without wanting to sound arrogant) I'd most likely be getting the highest available grade quite comfortably anyway. I find it very difficult to imagine that reporting them or not reporting them would realistically be the difference between me getting or not getting a certain a grade, uni place or job.

- They spend the rest of their life cheating or other underhanded tactics to get ahead, affecting others' careers and livelihoods.
    Yes, true, it's wrong of them to cheat. They should be caught and penalised for it early on; but I just don't think it's my job to do it. We have invigilators etc. for that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.