Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you report someone you saw cheating in exams? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you report someone you saw cheating in exams?
    Yes
    31.12%
    No
    68.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    If it was a proper GCSE or A-Level exam, then I wouldn't. I'd think reporting them doesn't benefit me in any way, and it only harms them, so what's the point? Although if it were just an ordinary class test and I was competing with the rest of them for the highest marks, then perhaps I would.
    But you ARE competing with them. That's the point!! I've been a "hiring manager", and i tend to put much more weight on the verbal interview than mere grades. I was a "so-so" student, until i figured out how to do it, so i'm not put off by someone who doesn't do well on exams, but has a good overall knowledge of the material. Others i've worked with, are not so forgiving. I've had a couple of "set-tos" with other hiring managers in reviewing candidates. They felt that lower grades on certain subjects should disqualify candidates, and i disagreed. Sometimes i prevailed, sometimes they did. The REAL issue (at least in my area of expertise - engineering) is: "When this person is "working the job" on their own, can they make a reasonable engineering decision, based on their own knowledge? Trying to infer this from grade results is difficult. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    :hat2:*tips*

also safe for the thread bump g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit20164)
    But you ARE competing with them. That's the point!! I've been a "hiring manager", and i tend to put much more weight on the verbal interview than mere grades. I was a "so-so" student, until i figured out how to do it, so i'm not put off by someone who doesn't do well on exams, but has a good overall knowledge of the material. Others i've worked with, are not so forgiving. I've had a couple of "set-tos" with other hiring managers in reviewing candidates. They felt that lower grades on certain subjects should disqualify candidates, and i disagreed. Sometimes i prevailed, sometimes they did. The REAL issue (at least in my area of expertise - engineering) is: "When this person is "working the job" on their own, can they make a reasonable engineering decision, based on their own knowledge? Trying to infer this from grade results is difficult. Cheers.
    Yes but, if it's a GCSE exam with hundreds of thousands of people taking it, it's different from a small class test.

In the GCSE exam, if that person unfairly gets a high mark, I don't feel that it affects me because the mark/grade I get myself is most likely going to be the same either way. I highly doubt that, when I was the kind of student who got A*s in everything very comfortably, that one person cheating is going to shift the grade boundary's so much that it's going to noticeably affect my own results or uni/job opportunities.

If it's a small class test though, and there are no "grades" as such, we're just competing for whoever gets the highest marks or second highest marks etc. then I'd feel like them cheating makes more of a difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    To those saying it's just one person or two and that won't shift the boundaries - this country isn't only made up of one school. There are thousands of schools. If two students cheat at each school the number becomes quite significant. Might not have a massive impact on the boundaries but you cannot say for definite that it won't have any impact either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It really depends. If I knew the person and knew they studied hard and just can't do their best without cheating for various reasons, I probably wouldnt. But if I knew the person did zero work, I'd most likely report it

ReputationRep:
    I'd report anyone who I saw cheating. If someone on my course gets past exams without learning the content then goes and gets a job at a firm, they'll be sacked for not knowing anything. Now what will happen if I hand my CV in at the same firm? He'll look at the institution of where I got my degree and think of his previous experience with the previous employee and my CV will simply be overlooked. Qualifications are only worth something if we believe that it genuinely and accurately represents our abilities. Cheating undermines this faith based system so it's within everyone's interest to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    Nah wouldn't be a grass.
    But it would annoy me so much.
    To be fair I wouldn't even have the balls to rat on them. And I don't want to be labelled a snitch for the rest of my school life.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone cheats a little bit, if not just slacking off or slapdashing it, so of course people will say no. Because think about when you cram studied and had to google under the desk for the answer.

Also, it's fair to say that currently employed people hardly know a thing themselves.

I'd rather cheat on an exam than guess the answer; when you sneak search the answer, you end up...finding out the right answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    It really depends. If I knew the person and knew they studied hard and just can't do their best without cheating for various reasons, I probably wouldnt. But if I knew the person did zero work, I'd most likely report it
    Yea, like if they plagiarised I'd report. Particularly if they plagiarised me or a friend. Or if I knew the person is just a lazy bum. Or if I worked so damn hard and got the grade I deserved, but looked and saw the person who cheated got the same grade, for cheating of course. Then I'd let people know, I've done it before.

ReputationRep:
    No. It's too much hassle and is difficult to prove

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. If there was mass scale cheating that might affect my result somehow, then possibly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    So there was a thread the other day about someone who caught someone else cheating in their GCSE exams, asking for advice.

Some of the answers surprised me to say the least. What would you do?
    No, for the simple fact that I know they'll secretly feel *****y for doing it, and they'll have a car crash life if they carry on that way.

ReputationRep:
    No. snitches get stitches!

The cheater should be aware of the risks (banned from apply/going to uni and doing exams for 5yrs+) and if theyre ballsy enough to still go through with it, with everything on the line then its their choice.

Hence why cheaters are usually (not always though) the U/E/D grade students who literally have nothing to lose - they either get crap marks and wont get into uni or they cheat and get caught and dont go to uni. If the cheating goes well then they get into Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)
    The cheater should be aware of the risks
    One of which is that a normal, honest student will notice the cheating and draw attention to it.

(Original post by JPO92)
    No, for the simple fact that I know they'll secretly feel *****y for doing it, and they'll have a car crash life if they carry on that way.
    Cheating really can pay off in the short term though. Maybe they'll have a car crash life later on, maybe not, but either way they'll get the short term dishonest gain. I don't see why anyone would just allow that to happen tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    One of which is that a normal, honest student will notice the cheating and draw attention to it.

Cheating really can pay off in the short term though. Maybe they'll have a car crash life later on, maybe not, but either way they'll get the short term dishonest gain. I don't see why anyone would just allow that to happen tbh.
    What about in university exams/projects which aren't graded on a curve? It's unfair, but what does it really have to do with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    What about in university exams/projects which aren't graded on a curve? It's unfair, but what does it really have to do with you?
    I don't really see your point. Someone's cutting corners by dishonestly cheating the system whilst I'm working to do it properly. I object to that in principle, and if I could do something to stop it, I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I don't really see your point. Someone's cutting corners by dishonestly cheating the system whilst I'm working to do it properly. I object to that in principle, and if I could do something to stop it, I would.
    Would you tell if you saw someone stealing food from a shop? I know it's different, but I'm just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyD111)
    For those saying about grade boundries - surely one or two people won't make a difference. I can't catch everyone cheating in all the schools.
    People get away with cheating, they encourage others to get away with it, meanwhile there are people such as yourself saying publicly that there's no point reporting them or that you won't, thus encouraging large segments of people to either cheat or not report others. Your one becomes dozens, becoming hundreds, and so on until we have what we have now...

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    I doubt it, given that it's only one person, and given that (without wanting to sound arrogant) I'd most likely be getting the highest available grade quite comfortably anyway. I find it very difficult to imagine that reporting them or not reporting them would realistically be the difference between me getting or not getting a certain a grade, uni place or job.

Yes, true, it's wrong of them to cheat. They should be caught and penalised for it early on; but I just don't think it's my job to do it. We have invigilators etc. for that.
    See above.

So if you saw someone murdering someone else and could identify the killer, you wouldn't tell the police. it's wrong and they should be caught, but we have the police for that. And, without wanting to sound arrogant, the murderer has no reason to kill you too, so it's not your problem.

Only if I flop. Sorry mate but if I go down, you're coming with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Would you tell if you saw someone stealing food from a shop? I know it's different, but I'm just curious.
    Probably, but it depends on the situation. I wouldn't have ever bothered reporting kids stealing sweets from Woolworths because the management was obviously aware of it and couldn't do anything about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.