Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you report someone you saw cheating in exams? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you report someone you saw cheating in exams?
    Yes
    31.12%
    No
    68.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    No, I morally disagree with murder, shop lifting, cheating in an exam (including the act of doing so).

However I think with crimes, it's my civic duty to report them when I see them because that's what the police rely on to find out about crimes. If nobody ever reported crimes to the police, there'd be hardly any point in having police, because they can't practically be expected to have such a presence everywhere to witness all crimes for themselves.

Whereas it's not my duty to report cheating in an exam, because invigilators are not reliant on other exam candidates to find out about it. Other exam candidates are busy writing their own exams to worry about what anyone else is doing. If a person is visibly cheating in an exam, an invigilator should catch him without the need for another candidate to report him, because he's standing right there in the same room, and it's his job to watch everyone to make sure they're not cheating.

All these actions are wrong and people who do them deserve to be caught out and penalised. But whether it's my personal duty or in my personal interest to report them is not the same in each case.
    But they ARE reliant on other candidates, because you can see from all the posts in this thread that people do it. Plus, like the police, the invigilators are only in one place at one time (namely the exam hall or room during the exam), they can't know about any evidence before or after outside of their 'patrol'. Just like police.

If a policeman is standing next to you while an assault is taking place and the policeman sees it and does nothing, you obviously don't waste your time telling him what he already sees. If a policeman is walking about and you see someone stealing something, you tell the police, because they don't see everything.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Put it this way, both of you are applying for UCL or LSE, the cheater cheated and got himself that A* instead of the A, guess who will be going to UCL? Yup it won't be you because the one who cheated beat you to it.

ReputationRep:
    No. I wouldn't care enough, though I'd be peeved if they did better than me in an exam if they cheated and I didn't but I wouldn't grass them up.

ReputationRep:
    Snitches get stitches

ReputationRep:
    No. It doesn't concern me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    I'd blackmail them, then report them for cheating, then cheat.
    That doesn't really work. If you blackmail them and then turn them in anyway, they have no motivation not to tell the authorities that you've been blackmailing them.

ReputationRep:
    No, what other people do in those situations is their business. I'd probably feel sorry for them though and hope for their sake the'd get their act together in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    That doesn't really work. If you blackmail them and then turn them in anyway, they have no motivation not to tell the authorities that you've been blackmailing them.
    I'd deny it. Who's going to believe a cheat?

ReputationRep:
    People here acting like they haven't cheated before haha.

Look I'm not saying cheating is good or something people should do, but if you didn't understand something in a very crucial exam and you had the chance to ask a better prepared (not smarter) person for the answer you're telling me you wouldn't?

ReputationRep:
    And to all you folks going on about grade boundaries. If you studied hard enough and got a good grade, why would another person's grade affect you.

Person 1 : HEY I got an A*
    Cheater : So did I, all thanks to Jim
    Jim: A* as well

Everyone's happy

ReputationRep:
    I would be inclined to. Why should that person get away with it? It wouldn't be fair on the rest of the kids who actually studied hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdkmwd)

Look I'm not saying cheating is good or something people should do, but if you didn't understand something in a very crucial exam and you had the chance to ask a better prepared (not smarter) person for the answer you're telling me you wouldn't?

I have never cheated or felt the need to cheat at anything. I want to be proud of my grades and achievements no matter how modest they are. It's a bit crass of you to suggest people here have cheated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidtyoember)
    bare snakes on tsr
    do you have no sense of justice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    I have never cheated or felt the need to cheat at anything. I want to be proud of my grades and achievements no matter how modest they are. It's a bit crass of you to suggest people here have cheated.
    It's a fact mate. Go peddle your delusion somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't want them to cheat then get a higher grade than me. its not fair on everyone else who actually works hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholychilli)
    Snitches get stitches
    Nice, original

ReputationRep:
    Cheating will raise the Grade Boundaries, so I'd deffo report them!! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No. I wouldn't care enough. Fair play if they can get away with it, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fact mate. Go peddle your delusion somewhere else.
    I'm not your mate! It's called having personal integrity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    No. I wouldn't care enough. Fair play if they can get away with it, I guess.
    It's literally not fair play, though. That's the one thing it definitely isn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.