Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sooo I'm curious about the general consensus of what people think the best UK universities are. I appreciate that this is HIGHLY subjective and different unis are better for different courses blah blah BUT I'm speaking in terms of the universities reputation nationally as a whole.

The way I see it; most people think Oxbridge are in a Level 0 of greatness of their own. Level 1 is LSE, Imperial, UCL.. Any others? And level 2?

All opinions from your own experience of talking to fellow humans are welcomed

ReputationRep:
    Can't say too much, I think to each their own. Some may have great experiences whereas others didn't. I think Oxbridge are in the league of their own, but are closely followed by UCL, KCL, ICL, Warwick and Durham. Then the Russell Group Redbricks, and uuni's that should be on the list like Kent, Leicester and Loughborough should all follow.

ReputationRep:
    Best: Oxbridge
    Level 1: LSE, Imperial, UCL
    Level 2: Bristol, Warwick, Bath, Kings, St. Andrews, Exeter (Possibly a few others)

To be honest, the league tables mostly build the reputations for the universities, since that's what the stereotypical reputations are based on.

But for UG you may as well look at it as in Oxbridge, then everything else, since at the end of the day your future employer will only be extremely impressed by those two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaneki)
    Best: Oxbridge
    Level 1: LSE, Imperial, UCL
    Level 2: Bristol, Warwick, Bath, Kings, St. Andrews, Exeter (Possibly a few others)

To be honest, the league tables mostly build the reputations for the universities, since that's what the stereotypical reputations are based on.

But for UG you may as well look at it as in Oxbridge, then everything else, since at the end of the day your future employer will only be extremely impressed by those two.
    I agree with most of this but believe there are probably 2 levels

Level 1 Oxbridge, LSE, imperial
    Level 2 Durham, Warwick, UCL, Exeter, Bath, Lancaster, St Andrews

The league tables are not totally wrong. Every league table from GUG, CUG and Times/Sunday Times over the last 4 years have included these in the top 15. The difference between any of these is marginal and this also applies to places like Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, York, East Anglia, Kings , Loughborough etc.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    I agree with most of this but believe there are probably 2 levels

Level 1 Oxbridge, LSE, imperial
    Level 2 Durham, Warwick, UCL, Exeter, Bath, Lancaster, St Andrews

The league tables are not totally wrong. Every league table from GUG, CUG and Times/Sunday Times over the last 4 years have included these in the top 15. The difference between any of these is marginal and this also applies to places like Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, York, East Anglia, Kings , Loughborough etc.
    No Swansea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    These threads always crack me up

If you ask students then knowledge of and perceptions/desirability of universities is always VERY different to the TSR lists. http://www.youthsight.com/expertise/...-expectations/

LSE and Imperial are usually ranked somewhere between 20-50th for familiarity/desirability (I remember one chart that had LSE right down in the 60s for familiarity) because they're so small and niche and just don't have the public profile that TSR users assume.

ReputationRep:
    Best: Oxbridge 10/10

Next best tier: Durham, LSE, UCL, Warick, St Andrew, ICL 9/10

Next tier down again: Kings Colledge London, Edinburgh, Exeter, Birmingham, Bristol, Bath 8/10

Next tier Down again: Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield, York, Lancaster, Southampton, Leeds 7/10

Next Tier Down again: Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leicester, Loughborough, UEA, Reading, Cardiff, Royal Holloway, Surrey 6/10

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.