Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I am currently on a Physics BSc (with foundation year) course and was wondering when I graduate do I have to technically graduate with this or can I simply graduate with the BSc and take the foundation year and its own certificate.
    Its not that I'm not proud of the foundation year, but all in all it may not look as good as others with just the BSc on applications for jobs and such.
    Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    To be completely sure you will need to ask your university, but one of my friends did a foundation year and neither their diploma nor transcript mentions it. You certainly don't have to mention it on your CV if you don't want to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RiverNix)
    Hi, so I am currently on a Physics BSc (with foundation year) course and was wondering when I graduate do I have to technically graduate with this or can I simply graduate with the BSc and take the foundation year and its own certificate.
    Its not that I'm not proud of the foundation year, but all in all it may not look as good as others with just the BSc on applications for jobs and such.
    Thanks
    It'll just be your end qualification (i.e. the BSc (hons)). There's no need to put down the fact that you did a foundation year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do a foundation course starting in September (will have to apply through Extra as I've changed my mind on a lot), but would you recommend doing one?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by williamsxsophie)
    I'm looking to do a foundation course starting in September (will have to apply through Extra as I've changed my mind on a lot), but would you recommend doing one?
    If you can't otherwise get onto the degree due to insufficient current qualifications; it's a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If you can't otherwise get onto the degree due to insufficient current qualifications; it's a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So would you recommend doing a degree with a foundation year at a top university (such as Nottingham - where I'm looking to apply), rather than going straight into an undergraduate course at a 'normal' university?

ReputationRep:
    This is the course I have applied for to start 2016! Really excited but don't know the answer to your questions sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So would you recommend doing a degree with a foundation year at a top university (such as Nottingham - where I'm looking to apply), rather than going straight into an undergraduate course at a 'normal' university?
    Yes
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes
    I don't agree. Unless you're planning a career in law or IB/finance, it doesn't really matter where you go to university. Increasing numbers of employers are using a CV-blind system to recruit graduates, so they won't know where you studied anyway. Is adding an extra £15,000+ onto your student debt worth going to a slightly more prestigious university? No.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I don't agree. Unless you're planning a career in law or IB/finance, it doesn't really matter where you go to university. Increasing numbers of employers are using a CV-blind system to recruit graduates, so they won't know where you studied anyway. Is adding an extra £15,000+ onto your student debt worth going to a slightly more prestigious university? No.
    Except, that debt is meaningless because it's not actual debt. So my answer is still yes.

And it's not 'slightly'. We're talking about a BBB or less university vs a top university; that is a significant increase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Except, that debt is meaningless because it's not actual debt. So my answer is still yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is money you will have to repay, whether it's called debt or a graduate tax is immaterial.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.