Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have been allocated Northern FS. It was my second choice so it isn't bad but I will be uprooting and moving to a completely new city 3 hours from home.

I am scared and nervous about being able to do the job and being overworked and settling in.

I read the Northern FS 2012 Combined report I found on the internet and there is just so much negative stuff in it about not being supported, the job being crap, and being like servicepeople as opposed to training.

I have also heard that the central hospitals such as RVI, Freeman, and the third one the name of which escapes me are very busy and large so impersonal, busy and the FYs are more overworked. Is this true?

Also, I see that some jobs have emergency medicine in F1 and F2, and I have been told these are unbanded by a friend. Is there anyone who can confirm? I don't know exactly how banding works but I don't want to be doing so many extra hours and not be paid for it.

My main issue is having the job take over my life. I am willing and happy to do nights and 12 hour shifts but I have read accounts of junior doctors who say that some rotations took over their life. I know it depends on the rota and perhaps these aren't representative of the junior doctor population as people may be more inclined to share negative experiences.

Anyway, I think I have rambled enough and it's probably clear there's a lot of things on my mind. I see that this FS has been voted top for training so I am trying to remain hopeful and positive and not stress about stuff that hasn't happened.

I would appreciate any input from ANY junior doctors, especially if u are training or have trained in northern FS.

p.s. I just realised FS probabaly reads as the swear word but here I mean Foundation School. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about the hospitals so I'm afraid I can't comment on them, but I do have a few friends who have worked up in Newcastle and overall enjoyed themselves, so I guess it can't be all bad!

Emergency medicine as an F2 would almost certainly not be unbanded - most likely to be 1A as you would be on the full SHO rota, which is usually LOTS of antisocial hours. F1s have to be technically supernumary, so might be unbanded depending on hours worked, but where I worked in ED they did evenings and weekends (but no nights) so were still banded. I would strongly recommend any junior doctor to try to do a stint in ED - preferably F2 as you get more responsibility - just so you get a better idea of what medicine is like on the NHS front line, and learn to differentiate sick from non-sick patients quickly. I learned more from my ED job than any other foundation rotation.

There's no way to avoid the fact that being a junior doctor is HARD. There will be jobs you hate, bosses who are *******s, horrible rotas and crumbling hospitals. But you learn to deal with most of these, and there are loads of positives as well along the way. It does get better as you go up the ladder - whether that's because the job gets better or I've got better at handling it, I'm not sure, but I'm definitely happier now (anaesthetics SpR) than I was as a foundation doc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been allocated Northern FS. It was my second choice so it isn't bad but I will be uprooting and moving to a completely new city 3 hours from home.

I am scared and nervous about being able to do the job and being overworked and settling in.

I read the Northern FS 2012 Combined report I found on the internet and there is just so much negative stuff in it about not being supported, the job being crap, and being like servicepeople as opposed to training.

I have also heard that the central hospitals such as RVI, Freeman, and the third one the name of which escapes me are very busy and large so impersonal, busy and the FYs are more overworked. Is this true?

Also, I see that some jobs have emergency medicine in F1 and F2, and I have been told these are unbanded by a friend. Is there anyone who can confirm? I don't know exactly how banding works but I don't want to be doing so many extra hours and not be paid for it.

My main issue is having the job take over my life. I am willing and happy to do nights and 12 hour shifts but I have read accounts of junior doctors who say that some rotations took over their life. I know it depends on the rota and perhaps these aren't representative of the junior doctor population as people may be more inclined to share negative experiences.

Anyway, I think I have rambled enough and it's probably clear there's a lot of things on my mind. I see that this FS has been voted top for training so I am trying to remain hopeful and positive and not stress about stuff that hasn't happened.

I would appreciate any input from ANY junior doctors, especially if u are training or have trained in northern FS.

p.s. I just realised FS probabaly reads as the swear word but here I mean Foundation School. Haha.
    Unfortunately that is the reality of the job for most Foundation Year Doctors, and I doubt is specific to Northern.

It is natural to be nervous, everyone will be.

Don't worry about being unbanded in ED- it means you will be doing a 40 hour a week rota without on calls, weekends and out of hours. However I would be wary of anything stating "unbanded" now the contract is likely to change and they are getting rid of banding.

Some jobs do take over your life, it is true. But also it will be 4 months of your life. It depends on the rotation. Appreciate your time off and annual leave. It will be a big change from medical school, but it doesn't mean you won't enjoy working!

ReputationRep:

Queen Elizabeth in Gateshead is one of the best foundation hospitals in the country as far as I know. Most of the F1/F2s there have only had good things to say about the programme.

The RVI and the Freeman are larger hospitals, so they come with the pros and cons of that, but I haven't heard of anyone absolutely hating their job.

ReputationRep:

As has already been said, most of your worries aren't specific to your foundation school. These days, it seems as though foundation jobs are tailored almost entirely towards service provision rather than training and generally your job will be very busy wherever.

If you're unbanded then you won't be working extra hours. It should be a Mon-Fri 9-5 job, give or take.

It's not unusual to feel anxious about it all. It will be difficult and it will be stressful, but you will survive.

ReputationRep:
    The Northern Foundation School is amazing! You've nothing to fear at all.

I'm currently a Foundation trainee here; the North East is a beautiful part of the country. A best kept secret in my opinion.

To be honest, I think you'll find it's the exact opposite to what you've heard; I'm pretty sure the Northern Foundation School actually ranked the highest in the UK for Foundation trainee satisfaction.

On a separate note, Newcastle is a brilliant City. Welcome to the North East!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Northern has been a positive outlier on the quality of medical education across nearly all domains (there are lots of domains), the vast majority in the top 1-2. Northern overall is ranked the best place to train. The QE in Gateshead is a DGH (which might be the other big hospital you're talking about) and is consistently ranked the best hospital in the country to train.

ReputationRep:
    I moved to Newcastle from london for my FP and have had nothing but good things to say about it. Yeah the jobs can be busy (especially the acute medicine job at the RVI, which I'd still recommend anyway) but with a couple of exceptions, they're well supported jobs, the staff and patients are lovely, the quality of life in the North is good, and the opportunity for experience and quality of training is great. I might be biased because I chose to leave London so it obviously wasn't my cup of tea anyway but I'm having a much better time up here than I ever was down south. As above, I'd say Northern is a bit of a hidden gem, and if you want to stick around, many of the training posts are inexplicably underfilled. I came with no intention of sticking around but now I'm aiming for a fellowship post up here, and would be gutted if I had to move away.

ReputationRep:

I have moved to Nothern for Higher Training after completing FT and Core in North West. I'm happy with the choice and training seems to be well organised and supported overall.

I think it is hard to have an overarching feel for the whole FS as a lot will depend on your individual rotations, supervisors, nurses you work with, other trainees on your rota etc. A very busy job can be fun with a right crowd around you and something laid back can turn into a nightmare with crap supervisor for example.

Everyone has those kinds of worries before starting. You will mosst likely settle quickly and have a good time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.