Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Well, if there is a big chance, then they should avoid it by not just going out, imo
    lmao. Huh?
    I actually think you go out of your way to point out and pick the smallest/unnoticeable flaws out of my posts and make a big deal out of it...I have realised this.

What do I say that you disagree with so much?
    Would you rather they had not said anything?

I don't go out of my way to pick apart your posts, you aren't that special. If they were unnoticeable then how did I notice them?

I just disagree with your opinions, I would take a guess that you are left leaning verging on tumblr feminism, but I may be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)

I don't go out of my way to pick apart your posts, you aren't that special. If they were unnoticeable then how did I notice them?

I just disagree with your opinions, I would take a guess that you are left leaning verging on tumblr feminism, but I may be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am a feminist yes, which a lot of people are against on tsr, so I can see why you disagree with a lot of my posts now.

ReputationRep:
    Who has said they aren't allowed to go out after hours?
    Tell someone to not go out after hours then. It's still exactly the same principle. Telling someone to not go out after dark is a lot more extreme and affects quality of life a lot more than telling someone to lock their door at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Tell someone to not go out after hours then. It's still exactly the same principle. Telling someone to not go out after dark is a lot more extreme and affects quality of life a lot more than telling someone to lock their door at night.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah and by that logic you are a red pill menimist (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and by that logic you are a red pill menimist (Y)
    You see the part where I said it was a guess and I could be wrong?

ReputationRep:

You. Are. Detracting. From. The. Point.

For obvious reasons, you know I am right.

I would rather they took proactive measures that affected the perpetrators livelihoods, not the potential victims. Saying "would you rather x" is a very poor excuse to justify a behaviour.

I stole your cash mate, would you rather I have stolen your phone and wallet?

ReputationRep:
    You see the part where I said it was a guess and I could be wrong?

The fact you said "could" suggests you believe it to some extent though.

(Original post by loveleest)
    I am a feminist yes, which a lot of people are against on tsr, so I can see why you disagree with a lot of my posts now.
    Whenever I see a thread about feminism, it seems that feminists are still more popular than anti-feminists on here... just not in certain sections that seem to attract the right wing (such as this section)

(Original post by leavingthecity)
    As in the real touchy problem of immigrants committing these sex crimes.

It does feel a little like governments are to willing to call it what it is, or they're thinking of how to deal with this sensitive subject and in the meantime they advise women to stay in doors whilst they put together a plan.
    Lets be clear, its not the government giving advice, it is local authorities

I don't think the government has realised that there is a problem yet - or if they do, the last thing the government will do is to link it to -i-m-m-i-g-r-a-n-t-s- refugees

ReputationRep:
    You. Are. Detracting. From. The. Point.

For obvious reasons, you know I am right.

I would rather they took proactive measures that affected the perpetrators livelihoods, not the potential victims. Saying "would you rather x" is a very poor excuse to justify a behaviour.

I stole your cash mate, would you rather I have stolen your phone and wallet?
    You seem to be struggling with forming a sentence.

Who says they aren't taking provocative measures to curb the recent spate of crime?

They had two options; not tell anyone about the recent crime surge and risk more women to become unknowing victims or give women the knowledge that there is currently a serious issue that they should be aware of. Which would you rather have done?

You aren't right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Lets be clear, its not the government giving advice, it is local authorities

I don't think the government has realised that there is a problem yet - or if they do, the last thing the government will do is to link it to [strikethrough]immigrants[/strikethrough] refugees
    It looks like the local authorities are fumbling around trying to control the damage whilst the government come to terms with what's happened. I'm sure they've at least got a nagging feeling there's a problem, but yeah, we shall see if they ever address it..

ReputationRep:
    The fact you said "could" suggests you believe it to some extent though.
    Well I was right in part, she was indeed a feminist. Not specifically a Tumblr feminist but a feminist none the less. She did not comment on left leaning so that one is still up for debate, but generally left leaning and feminism tend be be closely related.

ReputationRep:
    So are you telling me that not locking your door, and not going out at night, are on exactly the same level in terms of extremeness?

Locking your door at night, is a very easy, low effort cautionary behaviour, that would not infringe on a persons life in anyway. Telling someone that they aren't allowed to leave their house after hours, would not infringe another persons life in any way either? Do you actually think that?

A more suitable example, would be telling someone not to buy nice things, because it invites burglars. That is a more fair comparison.
    Telling someone to not leave their doors unlocked at night is much more common sense, and would be on the same level as telling a woman not to dance around naked at night.

Do you see the difference? Telling someone to lock their doors is reasonable. Telling someone to not venture out after hours is not reasonable, and is oppressive.

You need to solve the source of the problem, not change the victims behaviour to an extent where it affects their quality of life.

So yes, use some logic.
    How absurd. It's a conventional, intuitive safety advice that we all follow to some extent. But given that women are more vulnerable to sexual assault, it makes sense for the police to specifically warn women following the series of sex attacks. If there had been a series of sex attacks in your city, would you not give the same advice to the women in your family? If you want to go out late at night, then you're free to do so. It's not a curfew; quit your hysterical whining about "oppression". Caring about others' safety and welfare is seen as oppression now? Lol

Yes, the source of the problem - namely, harmful attitudes towards women and sex need to be changed, but it's not going to eradicate sexual violence in the short-term. I don't see why we can't deal with the source/cause and the symptoms thereof at the same time.

(Original post by leavingthecity)
    It looks like the local authorities are fumbling around trying to control the damage whilst the government come to terms with what's happened. I'm sure they've at least got a nagging feeling there's a problem, but yeah, we shall see if they ever address it..
    I think it'll only be addressed after the next election - atm they have a coalition with the Greens, nothing is going to be done about addressing one of the 'root causes' of the problem (am I allowed to mention it?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    How absurd. It's a conventional, intuitive safety advice that we all follow to some extent. But given that women are more vulnerable to sexual assault, it makes sense for the police to specifically warn women following the series of sex attacks. If there had been a series of sex attacks in your city, would you not give the same advice to the women in your family? If you want to go out late at night, then you're free to do so. It's not a curfew; quit your hysterical whining about "oppression". Caring about others' safety and welfare is seen as oppression now? Lol

Yes, the source of the problem - namely, harmful attitudes towards women and sex need to be changed, but it's not going to eradicate sexual violence in the short-term. I don't see why we can't deal with the source/cause and the symptoms thereof at the same time.
    I stopped reading after "hysterical", if you want to make an argument, please try and present one without resorting to sexist language.

If you can't see anything wrong with an entire gender in a first world country being unable to do something as simple as walk their dog after dark, then feel free to jog on.

ReputationRep:
    Sweden is a tragedy which should be a lesson to all other European countries

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be struggling with forming a sentence.

Who says they aren't taking provocative measures to curb the recent spate of crime?

They had two options; not tell anyone about the recent crime surge and risk more women to become unknowing victims or give women the knowledge that there is currently a serious issue that they should be aware of. Which would you rather have done?

You aren't right.
    Why is it a case of either telling women not to go out at night, or to not at all tell them about the rise in crime? Is it not an option to just inform people, and tell them to be cautious?

Although, it may be a better option to tell men not to go out at night, no men out, no problem, tell me I'm wrong.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not serious, well maybe half serious.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it a case of either telling women not to go out at night, or to not at all tell them about the rise in crime? Is it not an option to just inform people, and tell them to be cautious?

Although, it may be a better option to tell men not to go out at night, no men out, no problem, tell me I'm wrong.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If it is a serious problem which they obviously believe it is, then it requires a serious advisory message. Nothing is stopping women from going out, they are not forced to stay indoors. But at least they are aware of the dangers they may face.

Do you really think advising men not to go out would work?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Only the non-criminals would stay indoors then... or do you think the sort of man who heeds advice to stay indoors in case he rapes someone, is actually someone to be afraid of?

If we are going down the root of blaming subsets of the population, it would become politically wrong, if we looked too closely...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.