Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've received unconditional offers from Oxford Brookes and Central Saint Martins to study architecture in Sept 2016, but am really torn between them.

I've visited both and really liked the campuses, courses and feel, but read in a similar post to this from 2011 that CSM course wasn't reputable at all? (Although it's a renowned university for creativity and that's why I'm studying the BA).

I'm also planning on applying for the Bartlett's masters, so would either improve my chance of being excepted onto that?

Any advice/help on which to choose would be appreciated!! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Sorry I can't help you out with your query but I was wondering - do Oxford brookes definitely give unconditionals, and is it only if you choose it as your firm?

Also, how formal was the interview, and what did the discussion involve?

Thanks!
    - Zoe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No it wasn't a full unconditional, just if I put it as my firm choice (it's AAB otherwise which is their normal offer) I haven't heard of anyone getting complete unconditional from them, but I could be wrong.

And I thought the interview was really informal, there was no reference to my personal statement or architects, just a discussion about my portfolio and sketchbooks, why I wanted to study architecture and what courses I am currently taking. They also take question at the end, so its good to have a few prepared

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! I'm just slightly worried because I don't have any work other than what I have already sent them via email...

With your dilemma about Brookes or CSM. I don't have much to offer as I haven't visited either, but I was advised against CSM as a non-arts student due to the extremely artistic base. Also, as Brookes is very high in the league tables I would be swayed that way, as well as the fact that CSM will cost significantly more in living costs, just increasing the amount you'll have to pay back.

It's mainly up to you if you've managed to visit both, whichever one you felt most at home with. Bear in mind the area, accommodation, tutors, and most importantly course structure and content. Brookes emphasises pursuing your 'own interests', which really appealed to me.

Sorry that I don't know much else on the subject, wish I could help, but I hope you can make a decision you're comfortable with in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! I'll have to put a list together with pros and cons for each, but you raised a lot of good points about OB - I also liked the fact they gave a lot of freedom to the students and the living costs are lower (although when I was talking to a student before the interview they said you don't get much support for material costs). But I think it's the overall atmosphere and creative vibe of London is what keeps drawing me in.

And I'm sure you'll have enough work to show them, they just need to get a feel of your style and that you can develop an idea. The majority of work I showed them I sent digitally as well.

Have you got an interview soon at Oxford Brookes? If so, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm currently applying to CSM. Do you mind tell me more information about CSM please?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Most of what I know about CSM can be found online, I ended up going to Oxford Brookes so I don't really know anything new... I'd just go onto their website and research the course, its a BA so it's going to be more reliant on art skills, especially with it being CSM. I'd book an open day if you can get to London, the one I went to was really useful. I don't remember much from it apart from one guy saying you need to know stuff about current architects, not just famous people like Gaudi (although they never asked me about that at my interview so who knows!).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.