Turn on thread page Beta

Mini-discs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if any of you used these, i was thinking of getting one for when i hopefully go to uni: so i can take my music up there with me from my computer. Anyone have any experience or opinions on mini-discs or more to the point the Net-md's which are compatible with computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I was wondering if any of you used these, i was thinking of getting one for when i hopefully go to uni: so i can take my music up there with me from my computer. Anyone have any experience or opinions on mini-discs or more to the point the Net-md's which are compatible with computers.
    i have one but its broke now, i found it excellent before mp3 players became mainstreem, my advice, by one of them. an i pod if you can afford it

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, if money were no object an i were to buy an IPOD i couldn't record from other sources can i? which i think is a down-side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    The thing is, if money were no object an i were to buy an IPOD i couldn't record from other sources can i? which i think is a down-side.
    what other sources? tape? record?

My recommendation - Jukebox Zen

It has great storage capacity!
    The sound quality and transfer rates are fantastic !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    My recommendation - Jukebox Zen

It has great storage capacity!
    The sound quality and transfer rates are fantastic !!
    i had a look, does look good, as always money is the problem, spec with uni coming up! although much cheaper than ipods

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Tapes, CDs etc. other stuff other than MP3's. Most of the stuff will be MP3's but there may eb the odd occasion. Another thing i don't like about MP3 Players is their very limited memory and the price of memory cards. I know you you can get IPOD's but we're now talking about £300 can i justify that? Mini-discs are about £230 tops. And record tapes, CD's etc. surely a better buy??

(Original post by Ollie)
    i had a look, does look good, as always money is the problem, spec with uni coming up! although much cheaper than ipods

I bought mine in January and I love it. I have very little experience of M/D players but I have a friend with a NET MD and he says the only thing he dislikes is the transfer rate. Although depending on which model you buy, this varies.

Hopefully saving for Uni shouldn't interfere with my spending too much. I figure that I will be using what I earn to pay the tuition fees and my student loan will cover my living expenses.

ReputationRep:
    what i have is an MP3-CD player. Its great, you get over 100 songs on every CD (unless ur dabbling wit 20minute pink floyd tracks). Plus, CDs cost about 20-30p each. No transfer rates either. Only downside is you need a CD-Writer, which are really cheap nowadays as well. (£40 I seen one for).

Ad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I have got one, they are great, very rarely 'jump' but be sure to get a mindisc recorder otherwise you'll have hardly any disks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireg1206)
    I have got one, they are great, very rarely 'jump' but be sure to get a mindisc recorder otherwise you'll have hardly any disks!!
    I have a mini disc recorder and I love it - its easy to transport around, although you do have discs to carry, but they are smaller than CD's anyhow.THe sound quality is really good, and the discs can be rerecorded onto hundreds of times without loss of quality, and you can get up to 4 CD's onto one disc. Mine has a pc attachment cable thingiemebob so theoretically I can transfer music I have downloaded on the pc onto minidisc, but I have never used it (cos I wouldn't know where to plug it into on the computer!), but it is useful I suppose. I prefer the minidisc as I don't tend to download huge amounts of music onto my computer, I tend to listen more to CD's, so theminidisc suits me better for transporting around, but I don't know what other people prefer.

I'd like to point out that amazon are selling Sony NET MD''s for under £100 now. Seems like A Good Thing to me, has anyone had any problems with that model?

ReputationRep:
    I love my mini disc. Its so small and compact and you can record music off your computer onto it so I haven't had to buy a CD in ages. Oops probably shouldn't say that in case someone from the record industry reads this and sues me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guest Rob)
    I'd like to point out that amazon are selling Sony NET MD''s for under £100 now. Seems like A Good Thing to me, has anyone had any problems with that model?
    Mine is a Sony one - can't remember what model though. I think it cost about £120, and I got it a year and a half aga and I haven't had a single problem with it at all!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Mine is a Sony one - can't remember what model though. I think it cost about £120, and I got it a year and a half aga and I haven't had a single problem with it at all!!!
    i have a sharp and it served me faithfully untill i dropped my hovercraft tech project on it!

(Original post by Ollie)
    i have a sharp and it served me faithfully untill i dropped my hovercraft tech project on it!
    I have had a sharp one for two years now, and is still in (almost) working order. From other people's players, problems I have encountered with Sharp models is that the cases buckle easily and the screws tend to... well... fall out.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.