Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ex's possessions, to bin or not to bin? watch

Hi Guys,

So I broke up with my ex girlfriend about 2 months ago because it wasn't making either of us happy and she really didn't seem to care anymore at all. She rang me a month ago about how much she missed me and loves me etc, I suggested that we go no contact seeing as she only wanted me in her life as a friend, to which I politely declined but also reminded her that she still has stuff at mine, to which she sort of just fobbed the subject off and didn't state she wanted it back.

The first day into no contact she argued with me about how apparently I was kicking her out of her life and how I said we couldn't be friends, even though I clearly stated it was only for a month so I could have some time to get over her, she continued to argue and be sarcastic to the point where I was just like, whatever, i've tried. She blocked and deleted me off everything, deleted photos etc off social media in her tantrum.

It's been a month and I haven't heard from her since, i'm ready to move on as a result of her not contacting me. I don't want to contact her given the way she was with me when we had our last conversation, and I no longer have her number anyway.

The question is she hasn't asked for her stuff back since, and if she's not going to contact me then I don't see the point in me keeping her stuff, i'm not a storage facility after all. People have suggested donating to charity, to be honest most of it is expensive lingerie, make up, hair brushes and some clothes etc.

So do I bin it or not? Really stuck with what to do.

That is the question.

ReputationRep:
    Could you not drop the stuff at her family or friends house? I wouldn't bin it personally, it may cause unnecessary drama and hassle further down the line.

ReputationRep:
    Option 1 - Give it to her friends who will give it back to her
    Option 2 - Sell the stuff online
    Option 3 - Give it away to charity

ReputationRep:
    If you can get in contact with her ask whether she wants it back if not say you will bin it.

ReputationRep:
    Try and find a way to give it back or give it away to a good cause.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It would be quite insensitive to bin it imo. You could simply get in touch with her and ask what she wants to do with it. That would be the honest and logical thing to do. We have (or will have to) all gone through this before, it's tough — but it has to be done. Please do the right thing, OP!

ReputationRep:
    burn it and then grind into dust and put into a card

itl be like a glitter bomb but with her items like a giant messy jigsaw puzzle

ReputationRep:
    Just want to say, I think you definitely did the right thing going no contact and she should understand why.

If I were you, I think I'd probably send her a message (or is there literally no way of contacting her?) and ask if she wants her stuff back. If not, I'd chuck it - absolutely no point in keeping anything of hers!

(Original post by Katarvi)
    Could you not drop the stuff at her family or friends house? I wouldn't bin it personally, it may cause unnecessary drama and hassle further down the line.
    I would but she lives 60 miles away, I don't have any contact with her friends or family anymore as I cut them all out too. And her dad will probably be waiting on the roof with a sniper rifle ready to put my head on a stick if I turned up at her house.

It's going to be awkward if she's kept it at mine on purpose as a way of keeping her foot in the door though, especially if I bin it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would but she lives 60 miles away, I don't have any contact with her friends or family anymore as I cut them all out too. And her dad will probably be waiting on the roof with a sniper rifle ready to put my head on a stick if I turned up at her house.

It's going to be awkward if she's kept it at mine on purpose as a way of keeping her foot in the door though, especially if I bin it.
    Can't you just bag it all and leave it outside her house when you know she's out? I know what you mean about the foot in the door thing, she could use it to cause more drama further down the line so I'd get it all away from you ASAP.

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    Can't you just bag it all and leave it outside her house when you know she's out? I know what you mean about the foot in the door thing, she could use it to cause more drama further down the line so I'd get it all away from you ASAP.
    Potentially, I haven't really got the time or money to be driving up to hers to drop her stuff off though which is the dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

In that case I'd shove it all in a bag and bury it at the bottom of your wardrobe or something. If she doesn't claim it in say, six months time, throw it/donate it to charity. As others said, you could also potential reach out to her or maybe a friend of hers and let them know they're free to drop by and collect it if they want, otherwise it's going to a new home.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bin it, sell it.

Wait a while. If she doesn't collect it in a few months, you could claim that the property was now in your possession, so there was no illegal appropriation and hopefully save yourself from any nasty theft claims when you try to sell it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with others, bag it up and put it somewhere hidden.

If she demands in down the line then you still have it, or if you ever pass by the direction of her house you can leave it outside the door.

If she doesn't claim it in a reasonable amount of time then donate it to charity or sell it and donate profits to charity. If she ever asks you can say you kept it until it was clear she no longer wanted it, and then gave it to a good cause.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her if she wants it back if not do what you wish. DON'T BIN IT, RECYCLE IT. CHARITY ETC.

ReputationRep:
    sell it on ebay
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Box it up and drop it off at a friends or hers. End of.

Well, i'd tell her (if you can get in touch) if she want's her stuff back she should grow up and you'll go drop it off or she can go pick it up. However, i wouldn't bin it, like Katavri said, it may cause hassle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAhm95)
    sell it on ebay
    lol sell it to HER on eBay

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.