Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi,

I've recently been struggling with depression, I've had it since I was 16 / 17 but it sort of 'comes and goes', I've never seeked help as I thought I would be able to fight it with just will power. The past month / past two months, I've been struggling with depression quite badly and as a result I've not gone in to many lectures and today I received an e-mail with a 2nd absence alert and I quote

'If we do not hear from you within two weeks, we will assume that you are withdrawing from BSc Computer Science'

Prior to this (last week) I spoke with a lecturer who was understanding about my situation, offered to sit down and talk over where his current module was up to and I also notified my personal tutor. I e-mailed the student services people back but now I'm quite worried as I'm ruining my education, I just need some advice from people that have been in similar situations.

Thanks

Are you on antidepressants at all? If not, have you thought about having a discussion with a GP about going on some sort of antidepressant medication? It's definitely something that you should consider, since depression is rarely something that can be fought with just willpower alone. It definitely seems as though this depression that you're going through is having a negative impact upon your own level of motivation (a common theme in many different mental health conditions, not just depression), and that's never a good thing.

I'm not at uni myself, presently, and so wouldn't be able to offer you any advice on how best to get the appropriate mental health support within a university setting; I do, however, suffer from depression and I know what it's like to be on antidepressants (I'm currently taking an antidepressant called sertraline), which means that I'd be able to provide any info in this area, if you should happen to need it.

Things will improve for you, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks
    Hi,

I think you need to act right away if you want to stay on your course - but remember it is always an option to take some time out or even withdraw if you are not well enough. If you DO want to stay at uni then I would advise you to speak to student support as soon as possible as well as your course team. If you say nothing then they can't help or try to resolve the situation. Having some sort of record of your health condition will help you.

I'd also say that you should probably go and see your GP - they can be a great source of support. I know sometimes you want to put up a brave front and deal with things alone but clearly that isn't working for you so you need to switch paths I guess. I have mental health problems and am at uni, it can be reaaaaaaaaally tough, but there are ways through and there are options. You just need to sit down and talk through those options to work out the best solution for you.

x

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna try and sort out proof of address and then see a GP.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.