Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

How should one arrange work experience in training contract applications?

This one in particular just says:

"Please give details of previous employment and the nature of your work (legal and other, paid and unpaid)"

Do we arrange it by the most recent, the most interesting, or the most relevant?

I have currently arranged it in reverse chronological order, so the most recent. By doing this, some of my "relevant" employment (law firm work experience, internships, CAB, pro bono etc) has gone down in "Other" because of lack of space.

Because I have arranged work experience by most recent, I have my retail work, charity work, one legal internship, one public policy internship. The rest of my experience clumped together in the "Other" section.

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would have two sections (legal and non-legal). I would put the legal section first and then list your experience in reverse order (most recent at the top). I would then adopt the same format for the non-legal experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasy;[url="tel:63295053")
    63295053[/url]]Personally, I would have two sections (legal and non-legal). I would put the legal section first and then list your experience in reverse order (most recent at the top). I would then adopt the same format for the non-legal experience.
    Thanks for your reply Jasy.

So are you saying I should put my legal work experience in the four pre-set sections, and then the rest in most recent order in the "other" section?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 87878787)
    Thanks for your reply Jasy.

So are you saying I should put my legal work experience in the four pre-set sections, and then the rest in most recent order in the "other" section?

Thanks again
    This is usually a good idea, but it depends on your work experience.

If there is something far more substantial or interesting from your non-legal work experience then that should be prioritised.

Definitely back date it so your most recent experience in first, but if you have a limited amount of designated entries and then a smaller section to list any other work experience, and you have more than enough work experience to fill, then be strategic about it.

What work looks the most impressive? What work took the biggest amount of commitment/time? What work shows your commitment to law? What variety of work shows different qualities/skills in you? Does some work trump others in terms of experience/lessons learnt?

Think about all these things and then pick the "best" four and put them in reverse chronological order in the four set sections. Put the others in the other section, either in reverse chronological order or into two sections (legal and non-legal) and then put entries into reverse chronological order under these two headings within the same section.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.