Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received two offers: MA War Studies at King's and MSc Conflict Studies at LSE.

LSE pros:
    - 2nd in the world for social sciences, "bigger" name and more links and connections
    - Quantitative and qualitative methods training (employable)

LSE cons:
    - Quantitative and qualitative methods training (not something I like)
    - Very similar to the BA I already have in many respects

King's pros:
    - Arguably the best department in the world
    - Courses are more interesting
    - Links and connections to relevant institutions in the field (although outside this specific area, significantly less links than LSE)
    - Focuses on a specific area, in the field of, but different from, what I did for my BA

King's cons:
    - Overall reputation worse than LSE
    - lack of methods training (which again, could be an upside too)

If that is relevant: after my master I'd like to do a PhD or work in a think-tank or as analyst.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know loads about either, but if the department and the specifics of the King's course are what you want to go into, and you have a realistic chance of getting into that, then I'd do that. It's not like LSE is that much more prestigious, LSE/UCL/KCL/ICL are all fairly similar reputation wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    I don't know loads about either, but if the department and the specifics of the King's course are what you want to go into, and you have a realistic chance of getting into that, then I'd do that. It's not like LSE is that much more prestigious, LSE/UCL/KCL/ICL are all fairly similar reputation wise.
    Except LSE is much more prestigious
    if you want to get employed in the city its:
    LSE/ICL/Oxbridge/Warwick

UCL

KCL

That being said OP if for this particular course and your career goals KCL is better than LSE it is understandable that you'd want to overlook LSE's considerable prestige over KCL, just know there is quite a large difference which can't be dismissed as "not much".

ReputationRep:
    kcl is considered maybe the best in that subject, maybe employers dont know that but in academic circles it is known and maybe it would be a better choice if you want to do a phd afterwards. I would look into more detail at the courses, the teaching personnel (see exactly who teaches each subject and what they have published and where) and think about what you want to do afterwards. its a tough choice but truth be told the brand name lse is very strong

ReputationRep:
    If you want to stay in academia/think-tank work then KCL War Studies seems the best choice. As people have said, it's regularly seen as the best in its subject - and that's what matters at the end of the day.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.