Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I currently taking this summer, GCSE Maths, English (Lan & Lit), Double Science, History, French, P.E & ICT. My predicted grades are B's across the board all be it Id hope maybe one or two I might squeeze an A

I have no idea what I want to do for a career or at college but today have initially agreed to do a Business BTEC Extended Diploma - 2yr course. Been told its equivalent to 3 A levels?

Just wondering if I want to go on to University after will it limit any options say for example if I want to do Law And what exactly would the limitations be if I did this BTEC

I was also told I would be able to change my college course/choices in August after my results. Is this true please?

Many kind thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard of many people go on to do Law at university after doing the business BTEC also there is a Law pathway within the Business BTEC, so you would end up with a BTEC in Business(Law), you could look into that but it depends on your colleges policies on what modules you can take.

Also dont be too worried about university, currently 95% of UK unicersities accept the BTEC Level 3s and for business i know people who have gone onto study at top universities like Durham, Bath, York, Manchester and Surrey

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    In Business BTEC there are units about law so if that is what you want to study at University you can use that to your advantage. Also, some colleges have a type of Law BTEC which is equivalent to a single a level so maybe ask if the college you go to will have that? I've heard a statistic like 92% or something like that accept BTECs with distinctions and merits dependant on the Uni. It's only certain russell groups that may not accept.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a difference between these two courses? Or are they the same thing with different names?

BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business
    BTEC Extended Diploma in Business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexknight)
    Is there a difference between these two courses? Or are they the same thing with different names?

I haven't heard BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business before is it new? I think higher is level 4 not level 3 but I'm not too sure..

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Well I have spoken to one college who have said that there is this course below
    " Access to Higher Education Diploma: Business Management "
    Its a 12month course but they are doing it in 6months. Then I can go on and do a 3yr degree!

Sound perfect but waiting to see what exactly is involved in the Diploma first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenisha1999)
    In Business BTEC there are units about law so if that is what you want to study at University you can use that to your advantage. Also, some colleges have a type of Law BTEC which is equivalent to a single a level so maybe ask if the college you go to will have that? I've heard a statistic like 92% or something like that accept BTECs with distinctions and merits dependant on the Uni. It's only certain russell groups that may not accept.
    Almost, it 95% and most Russell Groups will accept

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexknight)

BTEC HND (Level 4) is the equivalent of the first 2 years of an Undergraduate degree

BTEC Extended Diploma (Level 3) is worth A levels

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.