The Student Room Group

Turkey joining the EU? Disucuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Samosa
But Turkey has been a part of NATO for a long time, fought in WW1, a member of the European council and so on. It would be silly to say Turkey has absolutely nothing to do with Europe. If we were talking about a country like Sudan trying to join then fair enough. But Turkey does have ties to Europe, we cannot ignore that. And tbf they are one of the most "westernised" Muslim countries.

They have an interesting economy, that could be a positive for the EU in the long term. http://www.oecd.org/economy/turkey-economic-forecast-summary.htm

But ultimately, we mustn't rush in a decision, we don't want to burden the EU further and need to make a sound decision that benefits everyone.

Once again, I don't refute Turkey's support of Europe and alliance with the Western world, but the fact still remains that apart from the Eastern Thrace, Turkey is not a European nation.
Admittedly, the EU should have thought more carefully about letting in many of the less developed Eastern European countries (Romania, etc.), but at least they can still claim a cultural and geographic European heritage.

I guess my stance on this is really only culturally and historically motivated. If the EU decided to rename itself the "World Union" or "Global Union" (sounds stupid, but just as an example) I wouldn't balk against Turkish membership. As long as Turkey fulfills the human rights, etc. requirements I really couldn't care less.
After all, it is a beautiful country, has great food and lovely people.
Original post by Desideria
Once again, I don't refute Turkey's support of Europe and alliance with the Western world, but the fact still remains that apart from the Eastern Thrace, Turkey is not a European nation.
Admittedly, the EU should have thought more carefully about letting in many of the less developed Eastern European countries (Romania, etc.), but at least they can still claim a cultural and geographic European heritage.

I guess my stance on this is really only culturally and historically motivated. If the EU decided to rename itself the "World Union" or "Global Union" (sounds stupid, but just as an example) I wouldn't balk against Turkish membership. As long as Turkey fulfills the human rights, etc. requirements I really couldn't care less.
After all, it is a beautiful country, has great food and lovely people.

I understand what you mean about culture, although I think with Turkey they're neither entirely European or Middle Eastern, they seem like a mixture to a certain extent lol.

Your reasons to oppose their membership is fair. I just feel some people are failing to look at the bigger picture with it.

I personally wouldn't let Turkey join just yet. As promising as their economy may look, I'm not a fan of their current government at all, and this refugee crisis would makes things way too complicated.
It would be nice if they were allowed in with extremely heavy restrictions on movement and made to take the deportation of every muslim criminal and deal with punishment accordingly. I'm sure they can get away with a lot more there in that regard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending