Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"I'm not fat, I'm big boned" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Possibly. People can have smaller than average frames and larger than average frames, though the latter does not really account for a person being overweight.

In your case, if you have a narrow frame, low muscle mass and low body fat then you will appear to be very slim. To be honest this would be the case even if you have a very average frame.
    So a small boned person can use that excuse for being skinny because its viable but being big boned isn't enough for being overweight/ fat.

Also, my body fat is HIGH. that's even worse.

I have a small frame, low muscle mass and 25% body fat percentage. Regardless, I'm really skinny because that body fat is inside my body; visceral fat. I do eat but eating alone won't make me bigger.

I'm one of those skinny fat people. Sometimes more dangerous than people who are visibly fat because they might be healthier. Which is the case with me.

ReputationRep:
    People can have broad and slender frames, it just doesn't have anything to do with the fat people are carrying and neither frames are excuses!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RomanKing)
    So a small boned person can use that excuse for being skinny because its viable but being big boned isn't enough for being overweight/ fat.

Also, my body fat is HIGH. that's even worse.

I have a small frame, low muscle mass and 25% body fat percentage. Regardless, I'm really skinny because that body fat is inside my body; visceral fat. I do eat but eating alone won't make me bigger.

I'm one of those skinny fat people. Sometimes more dangerous than people who are visibly fat because they might be healthier. Which is the case with me.
    No, it isn't a valid excuse either way - I just mentioned the overweight part as it was the focus of the thread.

Eating alone will make you bigger, just not necessarily in a positive way if it isn't coupled with some form of relevant exercise.

Visceral fat isn't good news - is your diet mainly kebabs and pizza?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    It is if you're short. You have to be very tall for 250lb to be healthy.
    Anything more than 200 is overweight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    No, it isn't a valid excuse either way - I just mentioned the overweight part as it was the focus of the thread.

Eating alone will make you bigger, just not necessarily in a positive way if it isn't coupled with some form of relevant exercise.

Visceral fat isn't good news - is your diet mainly kebabs and pizza?
    I'm actually quite healthy! This is a consequence of not exercising for 4 years I guess!

The thing is, I'm about 55 kg! 5 ft 8.
    25% body fat.

If a quarter of my weight is fat and I'm skinny? That has to be very bad news.

Anything online is focused on people who are visibly fat (big waistlines, conventionally stereotypically fat and never on people who are slim but have a lot of fat. )
    This has made me feel like no one really takes this situation or people like me ( if there many other? ) seriously, when as I mentioned is probably even worse.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:

Can't believe no one has referenced this yet.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, I'm about 55 kg! 5 ft 8.
    25% body fat.

If a quarter of my weight is fat and I'm skinny? That has to be very bad news.
    If you're skinny at 25%, then you have pretty low muscle mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    If you're skinny at 25%, then you have pretty low muscle mass.
    I do, very low + I'm very skinny. = having high visceral fat.

This is my point, I look 'healthy', I'm probably a lot more unhealthy than most 'fat/ big boned' people. So when I talk to people at pharmacy, this woman laughed once as if I'm being silly when I asked for a body fat test on one of those machines you stand on.

This needs more awareness rather than just focusing on people who look unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    120lbs is not healthy lol
    That's a nonsense statement, it clearly depends on height. My BMI is fine and I weigh less than 120lbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    It is if you're short. You have to be very tall for 250lb to be healthy.
    Or an athlete, lots of sailors I know are 110-120kg They are just 6 foot, so not incredibly tall at all.

ReputationRep:
    Some people larger bones than others without doubt. There are definitely people with a different size bone density. However it does not correlate with fat , as both are different. Having said that , some people do appear broader, larger in structure due to the high bone density.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    That is a funny looking x-ray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ssh, you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Anything more than 200 is overweight
    Unless you're over 6 feet tall and have some muscle, in which case you might not be overweight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Or an athlete, lots of sailors I know are 110-120kg They are just 6 foot, so not incredibly tall at all.
    Unless they are ridiculously muscled, which is highly unlikely, they're definitely overweight with a BMI of almost 36.

By US medical standards (the calculator I'm using is hosted on a US website) that would place them at obese - anything over 30 is obese and anything over 25 is overweight.

Big boned is definitely a thing, independent of how much fat someone carries.
    This is obvious when comparing hand size.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I'm both fat and dense boned and have had a reputation for hurting people when they hit me (literally I do nothing except block and they get injured- thanks to this, im scared of holding children :|) I have massive hands and feet for my height
    Spoiler:
    Show
    5 ft 7 and a half; uk size 11 shoes / 12 trainers (11.5 for asics), have medium sized fingers but need gloves between large and xl for my big palms/ wide fingers and and weigh 91kg (down from 103kg at end of October)

ReputationRep:
    120lbs is not healthy lol
    It is?

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how people still prefer to use imperial over metric.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rogersuniv)
    I can't believe how people still prefer to use imperial over metric.
    blame Americanization.

on a side note, does anyone know if those scales which claim to measure body fat actually work?

ReputationRep:
    I do, very low + I'm very skinny. = having high visceral fat.

This is my point, I look 'healthy', I'm probably a lot more unhealthy than most 'fat/ big boned' people. So when I talk to people at pharmacy, this woman laughed once as if I'm being silly when I asked for a body fat test on one of those machines you stand on.

This needs more awareness rather than just focusing on people who look unhealthy.
    Why does it need more awareness? You're not healthy so you get healthy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.