Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"I'm not fat, I'm big boned" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Why does it need more awareness? You're not healthy so you get healthy.
    More awareness to allow people like me to know how to get ' healthy ' .

You not reading my posts my friend!

How do I get healthy!? Tell me?! I gotsta ta knowww!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanKing)
    More awareness to allow people like me to know how to get ' healthy ' .

You not reading my posts my friend!

How do I get healthy!? Tell me?! I gotsta ta knowww!

Its pretty simple. You know your problem - low muscle mass, high fat mass. So you need to get on a fitness program and lift for 3-6 days per week, and eat right. No different than someone that's overweight or underweight - at least not initially. If you try that for a year and it doesn't work, then you can ask for help, but it'll almost certainly work.

If you don't regularly work out, you can probably put on muscle and lose some fat for the first few months, just by eating at your maintenance level of calories. But since you're at such a high fat level; nothing except water fluids-wise and no junk food.

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty simple. You know your problem - low muscle mass, high fat mass. So you need to get on a fitness program and lift for 3-6 days per week, and eat right. No different than someone that's overweight or underweight - at least not initially. If you try that for a year and it doesn't work, then you can ask for help, but it'll almost certainly work.

If you don't regularly work out, you can probably put on muscle and lose some fat for the first few months, just by eating at your maintenance level of calories. But since you're at such a high fat level; nothing except water fluids-wise and no junk food.
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

What do you mean by the bold part ?
    thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanKing)
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

What do you mean by the bold part ?
    thanks again.
    I mean as your diet.

Diet is 70% of achieving fitness. The rest is exercise. So what I meant is, if you want optimal results, you'll have to drink nothing but water (no fruit juices/sugary drinks - unless they're fresh obviously. I'm talking about mass-produced juice and sodas from a supermarket). And also no junk food. Your diet should be as clean as possible, and should be around your maintenance level of caloric intake, which you can find using any number of online calculators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    The funny thing is, the smaller your bones are, the smaller your joints are, thus making you look bigger/fatter than you actually are.
    Don't worry you are fat and big boned.

ReputationRep:
    I mean as your diet.

Diet is 70% of achieving fitness. The rest is exercise. So what I meant is, if you want optimal results, you'll have to drink nothing but water (no fruit juices/sugary drinks - unless they're fresh obviously. I'm talking about mass-produced juice and sodas from a supermarket). And also no junk food. Your diet should be as clean as possible, and should be around your maintenance level of caloric intake, which you can find using any number of online calculators.
    Thanks a lot Mr. Fresher.
    I'm starting the gym this week, wish me luck.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    blame Americanization.

on a side note, does anyone know if those scales which claim to measure body fat actually work?
    DEXA scales? They work, but with a varying degree of accuracy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Unless they are ridiculously muscled, which is highly unlikely, they're definitely overweight with a BMI of almost 36.

By US medical standards (the calculator I'm using is hosted on a US website) that would place them at obese - anything over 30 is obese and anything over 25 is overweight.
    BMI is by no means a good indicator of health. As muscle is heavier than fat, it makes people seem obese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    BMI is by no means a good indicator of health. As muscle is heavier than fat, it makes people seem obese.
    You have to be an extreme outlier for BMI not to apply - it does a good job of applying to most average people. You can't just work out for a year and suddenly BMI doesn't apply to you. There were studies done that indicate most people who work out (without steroids) only ever put on 40 pounds of muscle in their entire lifetime.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    The funny thing is, the smaller your bones are, the smaller your joints are, thus making you look bigger/fatter than you actually are.
    (Original post by psychemma)
    "Big boned" generally refers to the density of the bones, which you would not be able to see in an x-ray.

However this also wouldn't make a person look fatter, it would make their weight on scales heavier and so both arguments cancel out eachother really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.